Shotgun help

It doesn't get much simpler that the Stoeger coach gun: http://www.stoegerindustries.com/coach-gun-supreme-shotgun If your wife is going to shoot it they make one in 20 gauge.

Other than that the Rem 870 or Mossberg 500. Both good just different. I used a Mossberg in the military and I prefer the location of the safety over the 870, but would upgrade it with an aftermarket aluminum safety if I went that direction. My go to home defense shotgun is a Police model 870 that I sent in for the Vang Comp treatment. Used 870's can be found on the cheap and upgraded over time. But the Stoeger is super simple to operate. http://www.tactical-life.com/firear...gnum/#tw-dc-remington-870-police-magnum-bahde

Also keeping those newer 870s wiped down with a tough cloth or clp should take care of the rusting as long as you aren't in a super wet environment, another option would be the marine version.

Would these be good options for shooting trap or skeet?

I'm no trap/skeet shooter. I would imagine though that you'd want different barrel lengths for home defense vs. sporting activities. Someone else here probably knows better.

Depends on what you want/want to spend. There are like 30 submodels of the 870.

Want an over/under, pump, auto?
I think I'm ok with a pump. I understand that that's a little less expensive and won't get dirty as fast as auto, though I do plan to clean after each use. My dad recommended the 870 Trap. He said that while a pump is a little more difficult for doubles and skeet, he's shot 25 with a pump before when he was really on his game. He told me the Mossberg 500 would not be a good choice for shooting trap, and is more of a home defense option. He recommended having a couple different barrel lengths depending on purpose, but to start, 28 inch seems like a good all around option. I understand that this would be a bit long for home defense, which I hope I would never need it for. I already have a Glock 17 for that anyways.

I think I'm ok with a pump. I understand that that's a little less expensive and won't get dirty as fast as auto, though I do plan to clean after each use. My dad recommended the 870 Trap. He said that while a pump is a little more difficult for doubles and skeet, he's shot 25 with a pump before when he was really on his game. He told me the Mossberg 500 would not be a good choice for shooting trap, and is more of a home defense option. He recommended having a couple different barrel lengths depending on purpose, but to start, 28 inch seems like a good all around option. I understand that this would be a bit long for home defense, which I hope I would never need it for. I already have a Glock 17 for that anyways.

Sounds like you might know what you want.

I'd say go to a large store and hold some.

Stoeger M3000 or Beretta A300 are decent auto choices for $500-600.

I'm no trap/skeet shooter. I would imagine though that you'd want different barrel lengths for home defense vs. sporting activities. Someone else here probably knows better.

I use an 870 wing master that has 2 barrels, takes about a minute to go from a short hd set up to a 28" duck gun.

I'm not sure Remington sells that set up anymore, I think it's from like 1985 but I know for sure mossberg sells combo sets.

If you're going to do trap and skeet seriously you'll want something more specific for that, a normal pump gun can fill lots of roles from home defense (bull you'll damage your hearing) to turkeys and ducks.

Nice semi autos are nice for some stuff but I'm just not a fan for hard use, I've had lots of them choke with chewp birdshot with the aluminum piece that expands and can jam a gun.

With a pump you just break the action and slam it out, with a semi auto your temporarily fucked.

Double barrels are cool but for home defense I'm not a huge fan because you have to keep it chambered with a safety on, if you think you're going to jump out of bed and load the thing when you're scared shitless, your lying to yourself. With a pump gun you can keep it cruiser safe with the tube full but an empty chamber.

For your first shotgun, just get something simple and reliable that dosent break the bank, so as much as you can with it then later on if you want something more specialized, go for it. A mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 should do the trick and both are pretty much equal although I like Remington better. Both can be had for under 400 bucks, check the used racks, I got my wing master for 250 dollars and beat the shit out of it. I have another 870 that has the shitty finish and plastic stock and it's been reliable, just needs to be wiped down occasionally.

Either one should be able to handle a ton of abuse and stay reliable.

If I was getting a semi auto, I'd probably get a browning a5, if I was looking for something "tactical" a Benelli all day but I don't have much use for either.

My dad shoots a lot of trap and skeet and he usually chooses CZ and stoeger shotguns.

Isn't the Mossy 590 a decent starter?

If I was getting a semi auto, I'd probably get a browning a5, if I was looking for something "tactical" a Benelli all day but I don't have much use for either.

I was fortunate enough to inherit an A5. Cleaned it all up but haven't tested it out. It's encouraging to hear you say this. :)

I was fortunate enough to inherit an A5. Cleaned it all up but haven't tested it out. It's encouraging to hear you say this. :)

The a5 is classic. How old is yours? I've read som of the older ones shouldn't take steel shot.

A 28 inch barrel is great for skeet, trap or bird hunting but horrible for home defense.

Also the 870 that come with a 28&18.5 barrel combo usually is only a 4 round capacity. Which isn't ideal for a defensive shotgun.

A 28 inch barrel is great for skeet, trap or bird hunting but horrible for home defense.

Also the 870 that come with a 28&18.5 barrel combo usually is only a 4 round capacity. Which isn't ideal for a defensive shotgun.

I'd feel ok with 4 rounds of 00 buck....

I've always thought those combo set ups were more geared towards hunting anybow and they just throw in that short barrel. Lots of places have restrictions anyhow about how many shells you can have in a gun while hunting birds, I don't remember what the restrictions are because it's been awhile since I've shot birds anywhere that had such rules but I remember years back shooting ducks with my dad and we actually had to take the follower out of our 870s and put a bigger one in to limit how many rounds could fit in the gun.

As it turned out, when we got back to my dads Isuzu trooper, the game warden was there and he actually had a plastic ruler type thing which he stuck into the tube of both our guns to make sure we were compliant.

Anyways, makes sense for a hunting gun to just be 4+1 as there's laws most places for hunting and plus having a big ass 28" barrel with 8+1 seems like it would be unwieldy.

Is there any kind of hybrid model you would recommend for both?

I like the idea of the 2 barrels. 18.5 for home, 28 for clay targets/hunting.

Back