Shogun speaks about what he considers to be his "third belt"

I was just getting into MMA at the time. I watched that fight and became a hardcore.

I love Shogun as much as the next guy, and I realize I'm in the minority, but I always thought this fight was a bit overrated. It was obviously a good fight, but I wouldn't consider it one of the best fights of all time. The first couple rounds were amazing, but the last half of the fight was a sloppy slugfest by two gassed fighters.
It has that rock em sock em Rocky quality to it. That emotional vibe around the fight makes it great. Also remember how old Hendo was at that time.

The only thing that could have made that fight more memorable is if it had been for a championship.

Since both were former Pride fighters I always wondered how that might have been scored in Pride. Both guys were really close to ending the fight at various times. Dan was strong early and Shogun had him mounted late.

I was rooting for Hendo in the fight but was put off by some of his comments afterwards. He said he knew he was ahead on points and would have worked harder to get back up when mounted if not for that. Instead he felt he could just lay there and still win. Besides this fight being so great, it's always struck me as one of the biggest indictments of the 10pt system of scoring in MMA.

During the last round or two, when Shogun was putting it on Dan, he had him mounted and Dan put his arm up. There was an armbar just waiting to happen. I remember yelling for it, though I love Hendo too. If he had just used his JJ, he would have won that fight. Does anyone else remember that?
Shogun was probably exhausted at the end,still hoped he could get the sub or a finish..he was on top for over 4 min ,wasn't he?

Fact! The now banned TRT was fairly allowed before.

even more, when they made it illegal, they allowed one fighter to use it one last time, hendo for the second shogun fight
TRT was a loophole that some fighters used to dope legally, if you don't have enough testosterone, you should not fight
we saw what happened to all TRT users after, hendo, vitor, bigfoot etc.

I seriously thought Shogun had a cracked skull after those H-Bombs...not a Tito one, a real one.

One of the toughest fighters of all time.

And I saw it live from the first row with Shogun's cousin and camp.

At worst that first fight was a tie. Never forget that Hendo cheated too.. the fence grab. Horrible.

Shogun > TRT Hendo

Three pages and not a single Shogun hater has appeared? This has to be a Sherdog record!

My favorite fighter of all time and my 3rd favorite fight of all time. The fight should have been a draw but at the end of the day the fight did nothing to hurt his legacy, it will just go down as another epic fight on his resume.

Not too many fighters can say they have had a historic fight. Shogun has about 5 of them. He is just that type of fighter. It's kill or be killed when Shohun goes to war.

Last edited:
Three pages and not a single Shogun hater has appeared? This has to be a Sherdog record!

My favorite fighter of all time and my 3rd favorite fight of all time. The fight should have been a draw but at the end of the day the fight did nothing to hurt his legacy, it will just go down as another epic fight on his resume. Not too many fighters can say they have had an historic fight. Shogun has about 5 of them. He is just that type of fighter. It's kill or be killed.

does it count that I stand that "ememeh" guy, most annoying shogun weirdo in the world. I've had him on my ignore list for over a year.

Let me guess, best experience of you whole life?

Definitely Top 3, not counting my kids being born.

It was unreal. My buddy got free tickets to the event from his work the previous Thursday. We were sitting in the 14th row. During intermission Shogun's cousin (the dude in my avatar) and a friend walk from the complete opposite side of the arena...floor level, stop at the bottom of the aisle I was in, then point directly at me. I do the whole "Who? Me?" thing and they're saying, "Yeah, Yeah, You. Come". I ran down and went to shake their hands but they were saying, "No. No. You come. You come" so I hopped the barrier and started to go with them. A security guard stopped me and the other guy handed him a ticket and we were on our way. Sat 1st row right behind Dana, Joe, and Goldie.

I had a post on here with all the pictures and the whole story, but I think it got deleted during the last server upgrade.

does it count that I stand that "ememeh" guy, most annoying shogun weirdo in the world. I've had him on my ignore list for over a year.

Really? Check my post history. 90% of my posts are me having fun talking shit to the idiots on this board. Not sure how I'm a "Shogun weirdo". Or perhaps you're one of the idiots whose feelings got hurt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back