PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

I have a question as I am brand new (today) to PC gaming.

I am playing a game that runs 100% smooth 95% of the time at 60 fps (using the in game steam fps counter)

But randomly it will drop to like 1-20 fps for like anywhere from 2-10 seconds and it seems random (even did it while I was in the pause menu)

I know my PC can run the game with ease so just curious what the hell this might be

The game is Singularity (2010 Activision FPS)

my specs are

NVidia GTX 1060
8 gigs of ram
Intel 7th gen core i5
processor speed 3 gigahertz

It seems like my pc although lower end handles the game with ease as it never drops below 60 until this issue crops up.

I validated the game files on steam also.

You could try this
I had the same problem in Singularity. After a bunch of frustrating trial and error, I figured out it was because I had blocked Singularity with my fire wall.

A process scanner showed that Singularity's exe keeps pausing to access network-connection files thus causing the regular hesitation. I changed my firewall to 'ask me' when Singularity tries to connect and then just ignore the 'allow or block' message from my firewall.

Some tags that may help other searchers find this fix:
Singularity PC game stutters stuttering freezing freezes pauses lags slowing down, slows down, excessive hard drive activity, keeps using my hard drive
https://forums.blackmesasource.com/index.php/Thread/5983-Singularity-The-Game-lagg/#post247810

I have a question as I am brand new (today) to PC gaming.

I am playing a game that runs 100% smooth 95% of the time at 60 fps (using the in game steam fps counter)

But randomly it will drop to like 1-20 fps for like anywhere from 2-10 seconds and it seems random (even did it while I was in the pause menu)

I know my PC can run the game with ease so just curious what the hell this might be

The game is Singularity (2010 Activision FPS)

my specs are

NVidia GTX 1060
8 gigs of ram
Intel 7th gen core i5
processor speed 3 gigahertz

It seems like my pc although lower end handles the game with ease as it never drops below 60 until this issue crops up.

I validated the game files on steam also.

good to have you on board the winning team finally! your most welcome with us buddy

good to have you on board the winning team finally! your most welcome with us buddy
pripitok.gif

I'm typing this from my couch, through my new Steam Link. Damn I love this!

I just sold my rx480 for $425
<GinJuice>

To someone that thinks they are going to get rich on cryptocurrency I'm going to guess. The good news is that in 6 months you will be able to buy it back for about $100.

To someone that thinks they are going to get rich on cryptocurrency I'm going to guess. The good news is that in 6 months you will be able to buy it back for about $100.
I contemplated mining with it, but I have no use for it if ethereum goes away. With my luck, that would be tomorrow
I bought the card intending to benchmark some things and flip it for a profit.
I feel bad for the guy I bought it from. His old lady gave him the ultimatum of sell your extra parts or pack your shit and get out. All through the transaction I could tell he knew what it was actually worth, but she posted the add and price. I even told her in my initial classified response that it was worth way more than that, but she said she just wanted it out of the house.
I don't think they'll drop to $100 for awhile, they should be fine for 1080p high for the next couple years. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sit in the $180-$200 range for at least another year.

Those Steam boxes go on sale all the time for $20 now.
Since my new house is going to allow me to run a network cable from my PC room to my living room TV fairly easily....Steam Link here I come!
Shit, just noticed they are $15 with the Summer Sale:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/
I just sold my rx480 for $425
<GinJuice>
Holy fuck you just scammed the shit out of somebody. Probably a console fanboy.

Bravo.

Holy fuck you just scammed the shit out of somebody. Probably a console fanboy.

Bravo.
For $15 I'm going to pick one up to play around with.

I was really surprised to see it listed for that price and I jumped on it right away.
I'm glad I picked it up, I've gotten to test 3 of the 4 recommended cards this generation.
I decided to keep my 1070 for now. If they keep going up and I can make $200, I'll dump it and save the money for the next gen of cards. They're changing the algorithm for ethereum to favor nvidia cards so the prices might jump.

For $15 I'm going to pick one up to play around with.

So far I really like it. It's such a simply thing and it is executed well. It even mutes your computer speakers when activated so you don't have the sound from your PC, only your TV. I even found that UPlay games work fine through it with controllers, you just have to add those games to Steam and launch them through it.

So far I really like it. It's such a simply thing and it is executed well. It even mutes your computer speakers when activated so you don't have the sound from your PC, only your TV. I even found that UPlay games work fine through it with controllers, you just have to add those games to Steam and launch them through it.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Are you using a controller or kb/mouse with it?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Are you using a controller or kb/mouse with it?

I've used both. I picked up a cheap $20 Logitech wireless keyboard with touch pad for pulling up Netflicks, or playing movies from my HD and it works fine. I've played a bunch of Injustice with my boys using a couple of Xbox 360 wired controllers and have not noticed any lag or issues at all. When I launched The Crew through Uplay the Xbox controller would not work right, but as soon as I launched the game through Steam it worked fine. I think that is because the Steam Link menu gets tied to the Xbox button on the controller.

I still have to see if my SNES controller will work with it. I hope so, as I would love to play the Emulators from my couch.

AMD’s Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Formally Launches: Air Cooled For $999, Liquid Cooled for $1499
upload_2017-6-27_11-26-22.jpeg
Anandtech said:
After what appears to be a very unusual false start, AMD has now formally launched their new Radeon Vega Frontier Edition card. First announced back in mid-May, the unusual card, which AMD is all but going out of their way to dissuade their usual consumer base from buying, will be available today for $999. Meanwhile its liquid cooled counterpart, which was also announced at the time, will be available later on in Q3 for $1499.

Interestingly, both of these official prices are some $200-$300 below the prices first listed by SabrePC two weeks ago in the false start. To date AMD hasn’t commented on what happened there, however it’s worth noting that SabrePC is as of press time still listing the cards for their previous prices, with both cards reporting as being in-stock.
Meanwhile AMD has also posted the final specifications for the card, confirming the 1600MHz peak clock. Sustained performance is a bit lower, with AMD publishing a “Typical clock” of 1382MHz. It’s worth noting that this is the first time AMD has used this term – they’ve previously used the term “base clock”, which is generally treated as the minimum clockspeed a card under a full gaming workload should run at. AMD is typically very careful in their word choice (as any good Legal department would require), so I’m curious as to whether there’s any significance to this distinction. At first glance, “typical clock” sounds a lot like NVIDIA’s “boost clock”, which is to say that it will be interesting to see how often Vega FE can actually hit & hold its boost clock, and whether it falls below its typical clock at all.
What the fuck? This is some stealth ninja shit. I've seen literally nothing but the sort of leaks that usually come out months in advance of an actual release. No benchmarks, no truly detailed launch event outlining specs, no review samples sent out early to the tech reviewers...nada. I still can't even fill out my GPU pipeline spec sheet (TMU count is unconfirmed at 256; Pixel Bandwidth is being quoted at two different figures depending on the source-- 102.4 GP/s vs. 90.0 GP/s; Memory Transfer Rate and L2 Cache are nowhere to be found).

Not a good sign, IMO, to be this "discreet" about an entirely new GPU generation of technology; especially when there are almost no RX 480 or RX 580's available such that savvy market observers like Jefferz are selling them off for nearly twice what they paid for them. On paper, so far, it appears it could potentially rival the Titan XPP, but it's impossible to even make an educated guess based on what we know.

Are they having production problems over there at AMD? I know their stock has slipped since the Ryzen release, but that was before Intel's X299 imbroglio, and it's inevitable it will regain its mojo and ascend again as it has the past 18 months once Wall Street figures out it's going to take a massive chomp out of Intel's server business.

AMD’s Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Formally Launches: Air Cooled For $999, Liquid Cooled for $1499
View attachment 243787

What the fuck? This is some stealth ninja shit. I've seen literally nothing but the sort of leaks that usually come out months in advance of an actual release. No benchmarks, no truly detailed launch event outlining specs, no review samples sent out early to the tech reviewers...nada. I still can't even fill out my GPU pipeline spec sheet (TMU count is unconfirmed at 256; Pixel Bandwidth is being quoted at two different figures depending on the source-- 102.4 GP/s vs. 90.0 GP/s; Memory Transfer Rate and L2 Cache are nowhere to be found).

Not a good sign, IMO, to be this "discreet" about an entirely new GPU generation of technology; especially when there are almost no RX 480 or RX 580's available such that savvy market observers like Jefferz are selling them off for nearly twice what they paid for them. On paper, so far, it appears it could potentially rival the Titan XPP, but it's impossible to even make an educated guess based on what we know.

Are they having production problems over there at AMD? I know their stock has slipped since the Ryzen release, but that was before Intel's X299 imbroglio, and it's inevitable it will regain its mojo and ascend again as it has the past 18 months once Wall Street figures out it's going to take a massive chomp out of Intel's server business.

I think they maybe holding back on the specs because the Frontier cards are focused on things like deep learning and not gaming. Thus, the numbers plugged into a sheet such as your may look strange or down right awful.

View attachment 243787

An MSI employee posted this on a forum
“I’ve seen the specs of Vega RX. It needs a damn lot of power. We’re working on it, which is a start so launch is coming closer.”
https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/51654713#51654713

A $500 premium for an AIO solution is ludicrous.

I think they maybe holding back on the specs because the Frontier cards are focused on things like deep learning and not gaming. Thus, the numbers plugged into a sheet such as your may look strange or down right awful.

An MSI employee posted this on a forum
“I’ve seen the specs of Vega RX. It needs a damn lot of power. We’re working on it, which is a start so launch is coming closer.”
https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/51654713#51654713

A $500 premium for an AIO solution is ludicrous.
The sooner they roll out the Vega RX cards the better. I care about "Deep Learning" about as much as I care about proprietary Hair Tesselation drivers.
GPU pricing is arbitrary at this point.

You can buy a custom water cooling kit with a pascal gpu block for $240.
Doesn't sound quite that terribad. I'd rate the installation expertise + time required as a $60-$100 job. So that's ~$300-$350: meaning a $150-$200 (up to 40%) premium. Also, custom blocks might be groovy, but they're not necessarily customized for any specific GPU. If AMD makes any effort there should be an innate build quality advantage achieved there although I readily acknowledge that little attention or care is paid to this effort (by Intel & NVIDIA as well as AMD).

Back