Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

With the Spring15 coupon on Jet and opt out of free returns, you can get it brand new sealed for $264.59 shipped.
Nice pull, but the max discount with that coupon code appears to be $20, so it's $280 outright ($35 is the minimum total required to use the code):
https://jet.com/product/AMD-RYZEN-7...EBOX-Desktop/c147d40b89544399b89dd0612cfdb28c

Jet isn't even showing up in my PCPP for that component, so that deal will probably sit for a while. Perhaps a better use of that coupon code would be for the Ryzen 5 CPUs where less of the discount would be sacrificed to the ceiling limit.

Nice pull, but the max discount with that coupon code appears to be $20, so it's $280 outright ($35 is the minimum total required to use the code):
https://jet.com/product/AMD-RYZEN-7...EBOX-Desktop/c147d40b89544399b89dd0612cfdb28c

Jet isn't even showing up in my PCPP for that component, so that deal will probably sit for a while. Perhaps a better use of that coupon code would be for the Ryzen 5 CPUs where less of the discount would be sacrificed to the ceiling limit.

https://jet.com/product/AMD-RYZEN-7...EBOX-Desktop/c147d40b89544399b89dd0612cfdb28cIMG_2122.PNG IMG_2123.PNG

I don't think I've ever seen jet on pcpartpickers site. When I was watching for parts for my htpc build, they were the cheapest around. Shipping was terribly slow, about the same as newegg super saver, but for the savings it was worth it. I got the CPU, GPU, power supply, and Ram from them.
The only reason I didn't go with them for motherboards was the Kaby lake 100 series chipset bios deal. From the reviews I read on the mobo I wanted, some came with the updated bios so I didn't have to flash it with a Skylake chip and some didn't. Amazon was my best bet if I had to play the mobo lottery.

Last edited:
https://jet.com/product/AMD-RYZEN-7...EBOX-Desktop/c147d40b89544399b89dd0612cfdb28cView attachment 235363 View attachment 235365

I don't think I've ever seen jet on pcpartpickers site. When I was watching for parts for my htpc build, they were the cheapest around. Shipping was terribly slow, about the same as newegg super saver, but for the savings it was worth it. I got the CPU, GPU, and Ram from them.
The only reason I didn't go with them for motherboards was the Kaby lake 100 series chipset bios deal. From the review I read on the mobo I wanted, some came with the updated bios so I didn't have to flash it with a Skylake chip and some didn't. Amazon was my best bet if I had to play the mobo lottery.
Oh, nice. Looks like "SAVE15" and "SPRING15" are separate codes, and the latter doesn't have the $20 limit restricting the former, but I can't get my cart to acknowledge this sale. I don't know if this is because you're from Canada or because I'm not a Jet member, but I can't get that sale. I see this:

St7onT.png

Oh, nice. Looks like "SAVE15" and "SPRING15" are separate codes, and the latter doesn't have the $20 limit restricting the former, but I can't get my cart to acknowledge this sale. I don't know if this is because you're from Canada or because I'm not a Jet member, but I can't get that sale. I see this:

St7onT.png
I'm Murican brah. You have to have an account with then to get the code.

I'm Murican brah. You have to have an account with then to get the code.
I signed up and I still can't make this work. The website already asked me to register when I used the "SAVE15" code, but only said, "You Have Entered an Invalid Promo Code" when I tried entering "SPRING15". I'm a new customer, which is required for the "SAVE15" coupon, so I'm wondering if you must be a returning customer in order to qualify for Spring variation of the promo. Slickdeals tells me it has an 8.3% chance of success.
https://slickdeals.net/coupons/jet/?couponid=1129300#all

That's not the only issue for a Californian. We pay tax on Jet purchases, so there's a $22 premium triggered from the base price over eBay sellers who tend to be our best chance at avoiding sales tax (everygoddamnbody has a physical warehouse here). That's a killer deal, and I envy you, but for now, that $273 figure is the best I've seen with a processor that is at least (if not honestly) sold as "New" here in Cali. There might be a better deal, but $273 new all-in (99.4% positive) with expedited shipping ain't bad.

Caught this in the Reddit Build a PC sales section:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=1VK-005B-00058
$1999
  • Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra ATX Motherboard
  • i7-7700K + Thermaltake Triple Riing 3x120mm Liquid Cooling
  • NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X
  • 16GB (2 x 8GB) G. Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200MHz RAM
  • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 NVMe SSD
  • 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA III HDD
  • 80 Plus Gold 750W PSU
  • 802.11n WiFi Ready
  • 7 x Thermaltake Riing 120mm Red Case Fans
  • Thermaltake Triple Layer Cable Sleeves Extension (16AWG wire)
  • InWin 303 Black SECC Steel & Tempered Glass MidATX Case
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • 7-Color RGB Gaming Keyboard & Mouse
  • 1 Year Warranty on Parts and Labor | Lifetime Free Technical Support
  • 53 pounds / 19.6 x 9.7 x 18.8 inches (58.6L)
SkyTech Legacy ST-LEGACY-VR1080-BK
upload_2017-6-4_14-56-29.jpeg

I suppose that is sort of depressing considering the CyberPowerPC Syber Vapor Xtreme sale that happened last month, but it looks like $2K has settled in to become the new "baseline" pricing for the industry-leading level of performance (since a liquid-cooled 7700K with either a GTX 1080 Ti or GTX Titan XPP represents the highest level of performance for a single-GPU setup).

Last edited:
I signed up and I still can't make this work. The website already asked me to register when I used the "SAVE15" code, but only said, "You Have Entered an Invalid Promo Code" when I tried entering "SPRING15". I'm a new customer, which is required for the "SAVE15" coupon, so I'm wondering if you must be a returning customer in order to qualify for this promo. Slickdeals tells me it has an 8.3% chance of success.
https://slickdeals.net/coupons/jet/?couponid=1129300#all

That's not the only issue for a Californian. We pay tax on Jet purchases, so there's a $22 premium triggered from the base price over eBay sellers who tend to be our best chance at avoiding sales tax (everygoddamnbody has a physical warehouse here). That's a killer deal, and I envy you, but for now, that $273 figure is the best I've seen with a processor that is at least (if not honestly) sold as "New" here in Cali. There might be a better deal, but $273 new all-in (99.4% positive) with expedited shipping ain't bad.

Coupon works for me *shrugs*. Why it doesn't work for you, i have no clue.
Here's what the coupon code says
Eligible for new customers only. Maximum discount $30 per order. Maximum discount $90 for the duration of the offer. Minimum order of $35 required. Offer expires 9/1/2017. Limit 3 per household. Offer can’t be applied to previous orders. Offer may be combined with other qualifying offers. Offer is subject to change or cancellation. Void where prohibited. Limited quantities available. Brand, category and other restrictions may apply.

Ok, California charges taxes. Sucks to be you. I'm not going to factor in different state sales tax into over all purchase price.
Personally I wouldn't call it new at all, it's second hand since it's been opened and isn't being sold by a retailer. Also, will AMD warranty the cpu? I have my doubts.
That cpu is already sold btw, there was only 1. What I offered, they'res tons available

Coupon works for me *shrugs*. Why it doesn't work for you, i have no clue.
Here's what the coupon code says
Eligible for new customers only. Maximum discount $30 per order. Maximum discount $90 for the duration of the offer. Minimum order of $35 required. Offer expires 9/1/2017. Limit 3 per household. Offer can’t be applied to previous orders. Offer may be combined with other qualifying offers. Offer is subject to change or cancellation. Void where prohibited. Limited quantities available. Brand, category and other restrictions may apply.

Ok, California charges taxes. Sucks to be you. I'm not going to factor in different state sales tax into over all purchase price.
Personally I wouldn't call it new at all, it's second hand since it's been opened and isn't being sold by a retailer. Also, will AMD warranty the cpu? I have my doubts.
That cpu is already sold btw, there was only 1. What I offered, they'res tons available
Perhaps it's only for California, then, but "SPRING15" isn't yielding a valid sale for me, and "SALE15" has the $20 limit as I showed in the cutout of the screenshot I posted. I wouldn't expect you to know sales tax by state, but I'm pointing out one downside to Jet for California buyers, but only compared to the very few competitors who don't reside here, and to whom we don't pay tax. It's easily the best national deal that I've seen, but the code not working for me (while it is for you) is a discovery of accident. I was excited to see a new "low" to quote for my personal watchlist, but I only count sales that I can acquire myself. The total using the code that works would be $303, so it's about $30 north of the eBay sale relative to me.

BTW, I noticed that there may be a new mid-tier price point king among CPU air coolers. The Scythe Fuma is ~$45, and only trails the Noctua NH-D15 & Noctua NH-D15S by a few degrees Celsius max temp at load. It actually tied or defeated the latter's single fan configuration in most measurements. That puts it on par with the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Cryorig R1 Universal, Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, and Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8, but I notice that all of the rest of these are usually $85 or more these days:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Scythe/Fuma/6.html
I have no idea if it's a nightmare to work with, or on its way out of production, but it looks like it might be worth more research. Looks like it could be the new market steal.

Scythe Fuma
149mm
upload_2017-6-5_4-29-33.jpeg
Notice it smokes the Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF despite that this popular cooler is $75 right now. In fact, the Thermalright True Spirit 140 is almost identically priced to the Fuma.

temp_oc_aida64_fpu.png

Last edited:
INCOMING RANTS!

....or how Intel is screwing things up with there upcoming releases.

Anyone else going to build a threadripper PC?

An MSI RX480 Gaming X 8gb is going for $555 on ebay used right now. You can get a GTX 1080 for that price. If I owned a 480, I'd sell sell sell. You'd be stepping up from a 1080p ultra settings card to a 4k mid to high settings card.
It's funny, I never came back to update on what I did with my computer.

I bought this card and it fit fine in my case.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487261

It's amazing, I can do everything I wanted to do and more. Doom, FO4, Bioshock Infinity, Skyrim SE, all my old games that were gimpy, it's all beautiful. I am so happy, and I spent a little over 600 bucks for my computer altogether.

Sweet Jesus I have two of those.thanks for the info bud.
No problem. I'd dump them now and get a 1080ti. $100 more out of pocket will get you a Titan XP. Even if you only get $400 from each, you'll still be making money and have enough for a 1080ti.
08a6424b21852d03eb79204931c512b4ed005d158d2bac3019b0c5240dab26c1.jpg

Or sell them, buy something like a 1050ti to get by with and sell it when Vega comes out.

Last edited:
No problem. I'd dump them now and get a 1080ti. $100 more out of pocket will get you a Titan XP. Even if you only get $400 from each, you'll still be making money and have enough for a 1080ti.
08a6424b21852d03eb79204931c512b4ed005d158d2bac3019b0c5240dab26c1.jpg

Or sell them, buy something like a 1050ti to get by with and sell it when Vega comes out.
I have an r7 370 in a box that I can run until Vega drops. I've been too busy to game lately anyway.

Back