PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Game changer. Shit that is going to be amazing if it works well. Steam streaming already works great from my experience but integrating it into a TV will remove the need for me to have HTPCs in every room.
It would be great if it didn't require the steam controller

It would be great if it didn't require the steam controller
I noticed that. It is in beta thought so maybe they expand capabilities. Not all games are ideal for steam controller (or controllers at all)

I noticed that. It is in beta thought so maybe they expand capabilities. Not all games are ideal for steam controller (or controllers at all)
Those Steam boxes go on sale all the time for $20 now.

Those Steam boxes go on sale all the time for $20 now.

Since my new house is going to allow me to run a network cable from my PC room to my living room TV fairly easily....Steam Link here I come!

It's funny, I never came back to update on what I did with my computer.

I bought this card and it fit fine in my case.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487261

It's amazing, I can do everything I wanted to do and more. Doom, FO4, Bioshock Infinity, Skyrim SE, all my old games that were gimpy, it's all beautiful. I am so happy, and I spent a little over 600 bucks for my computer altogether.

Yea that's a solid card and you shouldn't have any problems. I have a slight upgrade from yours, instead of 1060 6gb, the 1070 8gb and I know I run full tilt VR applications with no problems from mine, Skyrim or other standard games I run on Ultra settings. People go overkill especially on video cards. You might see some guy running dual 1080's but why? Trying to take over a continent?

So it looks like Cooler Master has rolled out a new CPU cooler that could potentially replace the Hyper 212 EVO. It roughly equals the cooling performance of the Corsair H80i GT (in quiet mode) albeit not quite at the same low levels of noise while under load. Looks like it should sell for $40-- at least occasionally.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...er_may_t4pn_220pk_r1_masterair_pro_4_cpu.html

Cooler Master MasterAir Pro 4
$39.99
upload_2017-6-16_12-5-48.jpeg

upload_2017-6-16_12-1-49.png

upload_2017-6-16_12-1-58.png

upload_2017-6-16_12-2-22.png

upload_2017-6-16_12-2-43.png

So it looks like Cooler Master has rolled out a new CPU cooler that could potentially replace the Hyper 212 EVO. It roughly equals the cooling performance of the Corsair H80i GT (in quiet mode) albeit not quite at the same low levels of noise while under load. Looks like it should sell for $40-- at least occasionally.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...er_may_t4pn_220pk_r1_masterair_pro_4_cpu.html

Cooler Master MasterAir Pro 4
$39.99
View attachment 239719

View attachment 239711

View attachment 239713

View attachment 239715

View attachment 239717

I hate cooling charts like that. Any time a CPU cooler is tested, the hyper 212 should be on that chart.

I hate cooling charts like that. Any time a CPU cooler is tested, the hyper 212 should be on that chart.
Yeah, I don't understand why reviewers don't get this. Look, reviewers, there are simple market reference points that every one of us wants to see on every single cooling chart. Right now that would be:
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • Noctua NH-D15
  • Corsair H100i (or H100i v2)
Add to that the Noctua NH-L9i or Cryorig C7 as a reference point for compact coolers under 75mm tall.

Whichever reviewer embraces this strategy and works to more comprehensively review all the coolers on the market will immediately own web traffic for that component. Seems like low-hanging fruit that nobody wants to grab.

Last edited:
Vu3etKB.png

Hella humid right now. Running in silent mode and just noticed the GPU hitting 60c on IDLE

I've seen Intel get nothing but shit on for the Core i9 series, X299 motherboard platform, and Skylake-X chips. I'm a little surprised their public stock hasn't taken a bigger hit. I guess because the market figures Skylake and Haswell-E are strong enough already to hold them over.

Last edited:
I think Intel got used to AMD's much hyped releases over the past decade which all inevitably fell flat- except this time AMD has delivered and then some. Perhaps the i9's weren't slated for release until next year? This is unusual for Intel to disappoint so badly and to release what's being seen as a busted product.

When they're not melting down while running at 250w these chips are no doubt fast as hell. I'm sure Intel will fix the heat related issues. Although they're pretty much fucked on the new socket unless they throw mobo manufacturers a bone.

edit- After watching the Linus video @Madmick posted I'm thoroughly convinced Intel is solely behind the 15 month 1000%+ AMD stock liftoff. Their new product is nuts. Their release timing is nuts. Their motherboard restrictions are absolutely nuts. They've gone mad and I hope it doesn't mean consumers continue paying high prices for quality PC components.

Last edited:
Does anyone crypto mine? I haven't looked into it at all.
I'm omw to pick up a MSI 480 8gb gaming X for $200, opened but not used.

Anyone have any advice on a good place to buy a rising L desk? I found one for around 1,200 I like, but thought I'd ask here.

I'm getting one because it feels much more comfortable, and I'll be spending a lot of time at the desk.

This is one I'm looking at - https://www.multitable.com/product/moddesk-pro-l-adjustable-height-l-shaped-standing-desk/

I'll also need a triple monitor holder. And then three monitors to use. I don't think my current monitor can be mounted. Am pondering what size monitors I should get. I'm thinking I might get this to hold the monitors -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007...D16-B03-TW&dpPl=1&dpID=31bM4pXmr3L&ref=plSrch

Last edited:
GTX 1070's are going for more used than new also, no where near rx480's though. The'ye going for $$500 on up.
Here's a used Gigabyte Aorus 1070 with 3 hours left and it's at $510 from a seller with 7 transactions.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AORUS-Gefor...600233?hash=item1c88867fe9:g:PocAAOSwjKFZQlO-

I'm trying to decide if I want to dump the RX480 and the 1070 in my main rig and get a 1080ti or use both to mine Ethereum.

I didn't realize the RX480's were that big. The Gigabyte is a 1070. The 480 is thicker and taller.
cOowvId.jpg

Last edited:
I have a question as I am brand new (today) to PC gaming.

I am playing a game that runs 100% smooth 95% of the time at 60 fps (using the in game steam fps counter)

But randomly it will drop to like 1-20 fps for like anywhere from 2-10 seconds and it seems random (even did it while I was in the pause menu)

I know my PC can run the game with ease so just curious what the hell this might be

The game is Singularity (2010 Activision FPS)

my specs are

NVidia GTX 1060
8 gigs of ram
Intel 7th gen core i5
processor speed 3 gigahertz

It seems like my pc although lower end handles the game with ease as it never drops below 60 until this issue crops up.

I validated the game files on steam also.

Screw these GPU prices...its pissing me off.

im trying to buy a kingpin 1080ti

Back