SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 84 Discussion - Heathers

but the reason why I cant really rate movies objectively, is cuz sometimes there are movies that completely miss most if not all of these, but still somehow work. and you see this when "professional movie critics" give a movie a horrible rating. and the audience absolutely loves it. something to be said for that. Im trying to think of a good example of this.

This is where simple entertainment comes into play. The first Toxic Avenger is a fine example. By all accounts a horrible movie, but was a classic of my youth and spawned at least two sequels. Its rating should reflect the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

giphy.gif

Good one. I failed to notice that repeat. The film does seem to like to use a theme of repetitiveness. I'm not exactly sure what it means but its definitely there.

Could be using that familiarity in an attempt to drive home the mundane existence that Veronica and JD struggle with?

Could be using that familiarity in an attempt to drive home the mundane existence that Veronica and JD struggle with?

Could be for Veronica, and really all the other characters, but JD's life is the opposite of Veronica's. Her's seems mundane and structured but JD's home life is one of chaos. That theme of repetitiveness is there for him as well though because I'm just now realizing that his father takes him from city to city blowing up buildings and ruining people's lives, doing the same thing over and over. Also, there is the sort of repeat theme of JD's mom committing suicide, so did JD. Even in the chaos of his character arc, that theme of repetitiveness is still present.

Could be for Veronica, and really all the other characters, but JD's life is the opposite of Veronica's. Her's seems mundane and structured but JD's home life is one of chaos. That theme of repetitiveness is there for him as well though because I'm just now realizing that his father takes him from city to city blowing up buildings and ruining people's lives, doing the same thing over and over. Also, there is the sort of repeat theme of JD's mom committing suicide, so did JD. Even in the chaos of his character arc, that theme of repetitiveness is still present.

Yeah, there's plenty of repetitiveness for JD. Not sure I agree with his home life being chaos. To me he clearly comes off as bored with his situation in life. I always thought he was more entertaining himself with the deaths than trying send a message or right a wrong.

Yeah, there's plenty of repetitiveness for JD. Not sure I agree with his home life being chaos. To me he clearly comes off as bored with his situation in life. I always thought he was more entertaining himself with the deaths than trying send a message or right a wrong.

His father put a Norwegian in the boiler room of a building he blew up and also is responsible for the death of his mother but you think his home life wasn't chaos?

He was definitely trying to send a message, or so it seems at the end of the movie he reveals the message. Timestamped and running from :55-1:35

His father put a Norwegian in the boiler room of a building he blew up and also is responsible for the death of his mother but you think his home life wasn't chaos?

He was definitely trying to send a message, or so it seems at the end of the movie he reveals the message. Timestamped and running from :55-1:35

I wouldn't call an unfortunate event chaos. I'd more call his home life "broken". Either way, I hear ya'. And yeah, lack of love he admits himself is a motivating factor. So clearly his life isn't mundane on the level of Veronica's. But it is in the sense that he's disengaged from it. So let's say I'm totally wrong on JD. Veronica is the star of the show and it's her story. So it could still be that the receptiveness is a way to drive home the element of the mundane.

Or the writer just thought that shit was clever. :D

@Cubo de Sangre @shadow_priest_x @europe1

This issue of chaos and order keeps popping up and seems to be the main message of the film.

Veronica represents order, and JD represents Chaos. This clip specifically represents the two and what they are all about.

Originality

I've always been a bit dubious about using originality as a criteria. Firstly, been original doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be good. Secondly, take a movie like Citizen Kane (widely considered on of the best films of all time). It's basic message is that money can't buy you happiness -- which is hardly original and has been around since the start of time. Yet it's still considered the GOAT in-spite of that.

Well, of course there's no math equations involved. Just saying you can analyze the various aspects and compare their effectiveness to cinema at large. For example.

but the reason why I cant really rate movies objectively, is cuz sometimes there are movies that completely miss most if not all of these, but still somehow work. and you see this when "professional movie critics" give a movie a horrible rating. and the audience absolutely loves it. something to be said for that. Im trying to think of a good example of this.

Among proffesional critics, I suppose "artistry" would be the greatest criteria. Does this film have meaning? Does it have a point?

Heathers would be a pretty neat example of a film that manages to be artistic and populistic at both times. It's funny and engaging, escapists even. But it also contains a lot of meaning. You're supposed to try and make the world a better, more just place -- as Victoria does in the ending by reaching a hand out to the Overweight chick -- and not try to destroy it out of nilisistic rage as JD does.

The meaning of Citizen Kane would be the "money can't buy happiness" motif. While something like The Friday the 13th films would have no meaning, but contains boatloads of escapist fun to an general audience.

For example, not sure how anyone is entertained by There Will Be Blood unless they focus on the technical aspects. That film was long and depressing, but well-made. Not looking to argue its merits here. Just addressing your point.

I think that there is some movies that can be watched on a thematic level. In There Will Be Blood, it's about watching an avatar of capitalism (Daniel Day) clash with a avatar of religion (that other guy). Sure neither character is particularly likable or entertaining. But there is a degree of fascination to be found in seeing what drives them.

But I concur that No Country for Old Men is a far superior movie.

Veronica represents order, and JD represents Chaos. This clip specifically represents the two and what they are all about.

I'd say that Veronica and JD are more contrasted in how they chose to deal with the world. JD is sort-of like the dark side of Veronica.

The world in Heathers is the "clique-culture" of the school. Which the film at several point tells us represents America at large. It's also shown to be vapid and harmful.

JD wants to destroy it. He feels unloved so in retaliation he wishes to externalize his anger.

Victoria is initially seduced by this. She isn't all that heartbroken upon the death of the first Heather. But, as the film goes on, she grows to loath JD's nihilism and his wish to make other suffer.

Victoria is disillusioned with the world. She's a cynic -- but not really doing anything about it. JD opens a door for her to destroy it. But she rejects that -- because she realizes that what really makes her happy is the sort of friendship she had in her youth.

This is her character arc. Emerging from her cynical and ironic shell by JD to do something about it, eventually rejecting JD's nihilism out of moral principles, and then striving to make the world a better place through basic humanity.

There are some interesting differences between JD and Victoria. JD wants to kill everyone because he feels unloved and damaged by it. Victoria, meanwhile, remembers what it feels to be loved (her youthful friendships) and tries to restore that.

Last edited:
God, Winona Ryder just looks better with age. I'll probably wanna bang her when she hits 80.

I have a lot of thoughts on this movie, but in keeping with my shorter summaries, I'll have to truncate some of this especially since the conversation has long since passed me by. The first thing I want to mention about Heathers is that this is an overactor's delight. Every single character acts their heart out in this, and it becomes almost laughable. Most of the characters in this are caricatures and aren't awarded any depth, other than arguably the two leads. The scene between Ryder and Slater in the car where they're going back and forth with "Yes!" "NO" "lalalala mary had a little lamb" is pretty much all I'd need to point to for how ridiculous the acting was.

Some of the lines are just so over the top that I almost twitched, with great ones like "I do not patronize bunny rabbits" or "Whether to kill yourself or not is one of the most important decisions a teenager can make" or "I love my dead gay son!". I don't know if I can do them justice talking about them, but they were worth pointing out. I don't know if they were always funny or if they were just funny in the context of the late 80s, but they were sure something.

I've seen a lot of "Dear Diary" writing in films and television over the years, but I'd wager that Ryder's writing in her diary in the beginning and middle of this stands as some of the most aggressive and angsty writing I can remember. Every stroke was exaggerated, the letters were gigantic (who writes that large in a diary? It'd be full in like three days), and it really gave things up if someone else read it. I wasn't raised in the diary/journal subculture to speak of - I had a live journal for a half hour about fifteen years ago, and it was not worth keeping. It was a public entity, so who would want to write personal thoughts and feelings in it knowing everyone else could read it? That'd be just silly. Then again, I think of all the insane things friends and family post on social media now, so maybe nothing has changed.

The theme of repetition also struck with me, but I don't know if anything happened more than two times besides the girls playing croquet. europe1 picked up on the "have some pate" "you're an idiot" "I gotta motor" scene happening twice, once with her having to go to the party and the other to the funeral. I'm sure we can point to other examples, like her favorite dish of spaghetti with extra oregano being mentioned twice, or the jocks wanting to fight someone and then the voice of reason said "no we're seniors", or the milk being sprayed out of someone's mouth twice, or the father blowing up the building with a Norwegian in the boiler and thermals on the next level and then Slater doing the same. The best I could think is that history repeats itself, or that life is monotonous and things will keep happening the same way again and again no matter what you do. The fact that most of the examples only happened twice makes me wonder.

The thing that stuck out to me most about this, more than the bitter social commentary or overacting, was when Ryder stuck her hand with the cigarette lighter and Slater lit his cigarette on her hand. It was almost too much for me. Even Slater exploding and lighting her cigarette wasn't quite as ludicrous, but it had a certain Looney Tunes feel to it with her all blackened and smoking but otherwise ok.

This movie had a lot of little things that I picked up on but I didn't know how far to think into it, like the dead Heather 1 in the dream sequence wetting her hair with holy water, showing us that even in death she was more concerned with her appearance than important things like spirituality. Although, that could have just been Ryder's interpretation of Heather 1's character, viewing the character as so hopelessly shallow that she would do something like that.

7/10 we'll go with, the little things really made a difference to me. I haven't see this since high school, it was one of those movies that I never thought I'd go back to, so all I really remembered was that Slater was a psycho and killed people and blew himself up, and the big girl on the scooter. I have to say, and this pains me to do so, I think I'm getting too old for this movie. It's fast approaching 15 years since I graduated from high school, so my thoughts on cliques and high school tropes have faded away over the years, not to mention I went to a small public school that did have cliques but they weren't aggressive or something you'd find in any teen high school drama. It was a nice little trip down memory lane, at least.

Back