SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 37 Discussion - Maniac

And now, Kung Fury. . .

So I rewatched Kungy Fury last night. Since I just got done talking so much about STYLE in my Maniac write-up, I suppose I'll continue the trend here. And indeed, Kung Fury is absolutely filled to the brim with it. You could almost make the argument that the entire film is really just a style exercise, but frankly I don't think that would be fair. There's more to it than that.

But holy shit do they fucking NAIL IT in terms of getting everything right and really evoking a sense of the 80s. It's one of those things that you watch and you just have a smile plastered on your face almost the whole way through. It's especially true for me since, when I was a kid growing up in the 80s, I was obsessed with martial arts and action movies of the time. Just fucking OBSESSED!

A few specifics that stood out to me as being particularly amusing:

* "I knew he was dead straight off" after his partner gets cuts in half with a sword.

* "I was struck by lightning and bitten my a cobra."

* Hackerman shows up. First off, his name is Hackerman. Second, he's "the most powerful hacker of all time."

* Powerglove! I had one of those when I was a kid. It was a piece of shit, but holy fuck did it look cool!

* "ERROR: HACKING TOO MUCH TIME!" Uh oh, we've just hacked TOO MUCH TIME guys!!! Danger, Will Robinson! Hilarious.

* "Fuck! That's a laser raptor!"

* "I'm a cop. From the future." This line and his delivery made me crack up several times when I watched the trailer, and then again when I watched the actual film.

* The Aryan Mustache conversation is awesome.

* The cartoon where he dies and goes to heaven is SOOO perfect in terms of capturing the 80s style. Just amazing.

And now, that leads me to my one real gripe with the film, and frankly it's a major one.

The portrayal of Hitler is all off. In the trailer, they build him up to be this super-enemy. He's KUNG FUHRER: THE MOST EVIL KUNG FU MASTER OF ALL TIME!!! But in the actual film, he's this sniveling, weaselly fuck who doesn't seem to actually know how to fight. When he does throw any techniques, they're these limp-wristed punches and weak kicks that seem the opposite of what a kung fu master would do.

They really should've lived up to the idea in the trailer and made him this badass and then have the whole story build into an awesome face off between Kung Fury and Hitler. Instead, well, we got what we got.

So I think in some ways KF is a bit of a missed opportunity to make something TRULY AWESOME, but it's still a lot of fun and it's absolutely one of the most original productions to come out in years.

I haven't seen the original, but if it's anything to how people lauded Ringu over The Ring, I'll take The Ring 10/10 times.

I thought the POV camera was very effective in this film. Even better than the drug movie we watched a few weeks back (name escapes me at the moment).

Also, I thought the stunted, unique-looking Wood was an excellent cast for the role. He fit the reclusive, troubled loner very well.

I felt that this voice was both natural to Wood and his character, and that it just happened to enhance the creep-factor of the film.

All the reviews I've read raved about his portrayal. I agree with them that he was excellent throughout.

I don't recall any myself, and in fact felt the real effects well above average. The scalpings were very authentic as was the achiles tendon slice, as was Wood carving the old dame's back before killing her.

Now that I think of it, I think I did see the original, but I didn't let it detract from this film. In fact they were different movies with the same title. I'm sorry that you had a below average opinion of this film.

The difference of opinion reminds me of how different people appreciated "It Follows."

In keeping with my last point. I thought the soundtrack was excellent. It reminded me of the soundtrack to It Follows.

I rate this version of Maniac an 8.7/10

Even though I didn't love the movie, I can't disagree with anything you say here. The story didn't do it for me, but there were many individual elements that I thought were successful.

Also, It Follows was great. Not especially scary, but an enjoyable film to watch with a great score.

I actually give this film something like 6.8/10, almost a 7 but you have to realize that 7 in my book is just an average movie, a like, 8 is a good movie, a recommend, 9 is a great flick, there are probably only a couple of 9 films in any average year, and a 10 is the Holy Grail of film making. There are not very many 10 movies in existence but if I had to give an example, Forrest Gump is done as well as it could be, it has to be a 10. I can't think of anything that would be changed that would improve it.

I don't know that I've ever actually given a movie a 10. It seems like one of those theoretical scores that can't actually be achieved in real life. Can anything in this plane of existence be perfect? But I do like Forest Gump as an example of a film that's hard to find fault with.

In real life one of the most famous serial killers of all time was Ted Bundy and he said in a jail interview before he was executed that he was the way he was because his mother was a whore who brought men home and banged them.

I wonder how true that is. I mean, his mother's behavior didn't make his brain to where he was unable to feel empathy, so I have to wonder if he would've just found another reason to kill.

Despite being a product of the 90s, the 80s were the tits from what I've seen & heard. It just had so much more pizzazz than any other era.

Absolutely. The 80s were awesome. Much better than this gay shit we have today.

r0xEuD.gif

Yeah this movie sucks a big one. Easily among the worst in this clubs history. At least Spring Breakers wasn't this lazy and uninspired.

Bisexual characterized parts of Elijah Wood's performance as a "caricature". For me, his entire character was a caricature. It's eye-rollingly bad how "creepy" Elijah is supposed to be. It's a painfully untactful portrayl. He starts fainting or having a migrane at the drop of a hat. His every line-delivery is just tittering on the edge of panic. It is so overt that it becomes lame. And this makes his interaction with everyone else feel stupid. Why are they all reacting this normally to him when just by the tone of his voice tells you that he's about to experience a breakdown.

Creepy people are "off" in some manner. Elijah is off at all times. Creepiness plays on the fear of there being something subtly wrong about the person in question. As if there is something intangible that you cannot fully describe that makes them not fit in (Norman Bates being the ur-example of this). Elijah's creepiness doesn't work because it's so overt, removing all that wonder and alertness in your mind over why you're feeling this way. He's like a drunk person stumbling along an alley. Everyone can see what the deal is.

And the fucking mommy stuff? Please.

And by all the... Guuuhh this movie was visually unstimulating. Everything about it was, really. It's as if the director was to lazy to give anything; the visuals, the ideas, the characters, some sort of defining touch. Just look at how lazily the mommy stuff was handled. It's as if the director thought that merely by mentioning mommy problems he gives his movie gravitas. These things need to be implemented skillfully, with some sort of idea or technique that makes them stand out and resonate.

The kills were mediocre at best. Nothing that hasn't been done a milion times elsewhere.

Jesus Christ, THAT was his idea? I was wondering what the hell sort of an design-choise it was supposed to be to film so much from first-person. Especially BAD first-person as in this film. But reading this it just hit me. The director wants us to relate to this clown? Please. Wood's character is already such a laughing stock that we can't take him seriously. We can't relate to him because the man behind the camera has no relatability to us at all. The first-person footage just comes of as a lazy attempt of putting you in the moment that falls completely flat.

Christ this movie is even boring to talk about! I'm to unintrested to even edit what I've written about this film. Who cares if it's come out articulate or cohesive or not? This movie does not deserve words.

Fuck it. Maybe I come back tomorrow to clean this up. I just can't care about this shit right now.

Damn. Brutal.

You weren't holding back this week, were you?

I don't know that I've ever actually given a movie a 10. It seems like one of those theoretical scores that can't actually be achieved in real life. Can anything in this plane of existence be perfect? But I do like Forest Gump as an example of a film that's hard to find fault with.

I wonder how true that is. I mean, his mother's behavior didn't make his brain to where he was unable to feel empathy, so I have to wonder if he would've just found another reason to kill.

I don't know, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, and some others. You don't give any film a 10/10? I admit there are very few of them but something has to be the pinnacle of film making.

I don't know, Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, and some others. You don't give any film a 10/10? I admit there are very few of them but something has to be the pinnacle of film making.

I guess we need to decide what a 10 means.

To me, it's always meant perfection. Not just the pinnacle of the craft, but actual perfection. And I don't really believe in perfection.

If it just means Excellence though, or the best of the best, then I'd have to think about it.

Surprised to see you call American Beauty a 10 BTW. I thought it was pretty overrated.

I guess we need to decide what a 10 means.

To me, it's always meant perfection. Not just the pinnacle of the craft, but actual perfection. And I don't really believe in perfection.

If it just means Excellence though, or the best of the best, then I'd have to think about it.

Surprised to see you call American Beauty a 10 BTW. I thought it was pretty overrated.

I'm not saying American Beauty was a 10 but some people do. How about 12 Angry Men or Schindler's List? Nothing is a 10 to you?

I'm not saying American Beauty was a 10 but some people do. How about 12 Angry Men or Schindler's List? Nothing is a 10 to you?

Not 12 Angry Men. It's a good movie, but a 10? I don't know about all that. And I sheepishly admit I have not seen Schindler's List.

IF I were to rate movies a 10 it would probably be films like:

Apollo 13
Seven
Walk the Line
The Mummy (yeah, I'm serious)
The Exorcist
Pulp Fiction
Fellowship of the Ring
Goodfellas
Indy and the Last Crusade

. . . because they all do an excellent job of achieving exactly what they set out to achieve, and more importantly, they are never boring.

I remember when I went to see Walk the Line in the theater. I never checked my watch and I was literally angry when it was over because I was not ready to disconnect from the experience. That is extraordinarily rare, but when it happens, it's magic.

And I sheepishly admit I have not seen Schindler's List.

gif-faint03.gif

That is a legit shocker. Its one of the greatest movies ever made....ever.....ever...

You should watch it now, right now.

Right now.

gif-faint03.gif

That is a legit shocker. Its one of the greatest movies ever made....ever.....ever...

You should watch it now, right now.

Right now.

It has been on the to-watch list for a very long time, but I can just never get myself up to watch a 3.25 hour black-and-white film about Nazis.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been on the to-watch list for a very long time, but I can just never get myself up to watch a 3.25 hour black-and-white film about Nazis.

Shadow, its one of the greatest films ever made. I'm not talking a Top 50 film or even a Top 20 film, Schindler's List is more like a Top 5 film of all time, Top 10 at worst.

Shadow, its one of the greatest films ever made. I'm not talking a Top 50 film or even a Top 20 film, Schindler's List is more like a Top 5 film of all time, Top 10 at worst.

I will make sure to . . . get to it soon.

Not 12 Angry Men. It's a good movie, but a 10? I don't know about all that. And I sheepishly admit I have not seen Schindler's List.

IF I were to rate movies a 10 it would probably be films like:

Apollo 13
Seven
Walk the Line
The Mummy (yeah, I'm serious)
The Exorcist
Pulp Fiction
Fellowship of the Ring
Goodfellas
Indy and the Last Crusade

. . . because they all do an excellent job of achieving exactly what they set out to achieve, and more importantly, they are never boring.

I remember when I went to see Walk the Line in the theater. I never checked my watch and I was literally angry when it was over because I was not ready to disconnect from the experience. That is extraordinarily rare, but when it happens, it's magic.

I about fell on the floor when you mentioned The Exorcist lol. Bravo to you for that. But a horror for you? And I give it a 10/10 as well btw.

Never been keen on Schindler's List tbh

Come and See is my go to whenever I need a reminder that Nazism's bad

Some real quick 10/10s for me off the top of my head:

The Exorcist

The Ring

Drive

Bridesmaids

This is a the End

Saving Private Ryan (mainly just for the battle scenes and the mother whose sons were killed in battle - that scene man)

Breakdown

The Next Three Days

Dumb and Dumber

Prisoners

There are always parts of movies that are 10/10 as well, but rarely full films.

Back