SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 37 Discussion - Maniac

I have no idea how there are posts on this page above that talk about The Raid and Jackie Chan, but cool. I'm down. I had hoped The Raid would win in my week since I don't know how many people had seen it, but maybe I'll bring in a "second chances" vote next time around.

On to Maniac. Hm. I never saw the original. I think I like the idea of Elijah Wood as a villain more than I do the execution of it. I did like him in Sin City, but that was because he didn't say a word and just did his little thing with his nails. In this, he had to speak, and half the time it sounded more campy than genuinely creepy. Something the audio was distorted when he was speaking, as if the ADR was muffled or they tried to obfuscate his voice for some reason. In certain scenes, it was acceptable, but when just in conversation with a woman like the French girl, it sounded lazy.

Overall, I wasn't a huge fan of this movie. It was a classic example of "style over substance" except the style didn't work on me either. There were some decent choices the director made including the soundtrack (cough cough Q Lazzarus, nice touch since it's about a dude skinning his victims) as well as the other music used (or not used) throughout. Visually, it was off putting how dark it was much of the time.

The cinematography was a decent choice, as the whole thing was shot almost entirely in in first person mode. Bold choice. It worked and it didn't. It actually removed a lot of suspense, because we never really wondered if and when he was going to kill. It was just ho hum he's gonna kill that girl, let's see how long it takes him. I guess in that way it took away from the traditional slasher vibe because it was all just a matter of time. It did make me think and want to have a digression that could have already been covered (who knows, we've already had 160 posts in this thread) about that this movie could put people in the driver's seat of a serial killer. It could make the audience feel like they're the ones killing, since the whole thing is shot in first person. It was very voyeuristic, and it never quite made me feel uncomfortable but I could see how people would not like that part of it. Something else I picked up on was possibly the feeling of helplessness that the audience could face with this flick, watching it unfold in first person and yet being able to do nothing to stop it.

Plenty of gore, huh. It didn't skimp on blood or brutality or anything like it. It seemed like one of those "bloody for the sake of being bloody" movies more than anything. "Watch as we scalp this woman while she's screaming, that sounds like fun."

I had a serious case of deja vu when the French girl came by to take pictures of his mannequins. I feel like this was in a movie before, I don't know what one though. Midnight Meat Train? I can't think of what it was, but it seems very familiar. Maybe I have seen this movie before after all, because I distinctly remember the scene about meeting a strange woman and taking pictures in front of a mannequin shop. Scenes in this movie keep reminding me of others, like when he washed his hands with steel wool, all I could think was The Machinist. I also got a vibe of Closer where they're in the art gallery doing whatever they were doing in that movie that made me angry. Then, the scene in the parking lot where he cuts her achilles tendon - I'm pretty sure I've seen this after all. I may have watched it on IFC casually and it didn't stick with me other than "oh hey look, there's Elijah Wood killing some girl and Buffalo Bill-ing her." Didn't leave an impression on me then, and sure isn't leaving one on me now.

More than anything, this movie kind of irritated me. It didn't really devote itself to being anything beyond what I could argue was a gimmick in the first person cinematography. I mean yes, it's at its core a slasher horror flick, and it tried to become something more, like part Psycho and part Silence of the Lambs and part a handful of others. It never took that step, as if it was trying to just stick to being creepy. It's "look at how weird Elijah Wood is" for 80 minutes. Was the audience trying to make us sympathize with him? Was there ever a time they wanted us to think he may not be a bad guy and was just conflicted? I never had any moral questions about him, even with the stuff about his mother and her...lifestyle...or him "falling in love" I guess. Also, this may be nitpicky but if he takes his medicine in pill form (not the spray he gets later) to stop his ridiculous urges, how come it takes effect immediately? Is it more a psychological effect that he takes his medicine and thinks he'll be fine, compared to it actually being useful? Or is it just another movie thing, kind of like the "hand over the eyes when someone's dead" thing?

At the end of the day, we knew he was going to end up killing French girl. Yes, I actually learned their names - Frank and Anna. I think there were others but who cares, they died. I was almost surprised they killed Frank at the end, but nah not really. I figure he'd end up dying thinking of his mother, they really pushed that hard. And look at that, that's what happened. Predictable, disappointing, and just not special. Good for them, they used first person for the point of this, but it's definitely not groundbreaking for me. Maybe I'm desensitized, but it didn't gross me out or freak me out. It was just...meh. One of the weaker choices we've had in the SMC, but there's one upside - Manborg is next. I'm pumped for that one.

5.5/10, and only because of the cinematography. Otherwise, pass. I think I'm about out of gas on not that great horror movies in the SMC, they just...don't do it for me.

At the end of the day, we knew he was going to end up killing French girl.

I really didn't. Obviously I knew it was a possibility, but I thought maybe . . . just maybe . . . she would be the one that he would be able to control himself around and therefore lead to his salvation. She would be the one who was different.

I think I'm about out of gas on not that great horror movies in the SMC, they just...don't do it for me.

LOL

What have we done so far? Sinister . . . Krampus . . . and now Maniac? Is that it?

Yeah, I can't say any of those really did it for me either.

I really didn't. Obviously I knew it was a possibility, but I thought maybe . . . just maybe . . . she would be the one that he would be able to control himself around and therefore lead to his salvation. She would be the one who was different.
My thoughts were either a) he'd kill her after all, or 2) she'd be the one to survive albeit heavily wounded as she killed him. There wasn't a happy ending to this one, not the way they built it up. Maybe as a subpart to a) I figure he'd kill her and then die. I remember the scene where they tore him apart and he became a mannequin, that really kicked on the memory servos.

LOL

What have we done so far? Sinister . . . Krampus . . . and now Maniac? Is that it?

Yeah, I can't say any of those really did it for me either.
Sinister, Green Room, Krampus, Cemetery Man (I guess that was a comedy too), Thirst which was good enough but still irritated me, and now Maniac. I'm almost considering putting together a classic horror movie setlist for my next series so we can get some good horror movies up in this place. And yes, I know some posters liked the ones we've had so far, but they've largely been swing and a miss for me. But maybe that's me.

My thoughts were either a) he'd kill her after all, or 2) she'd be the one to survive albeit heavily wounded as she killed him. There wasn't a happy ending to this one, not the way they built it up. Maybe as a subpart to a) I figure he'd kill her and then die. I remember the scene where they tore him apart and he became a mannequin, that really kicked on the memory servos.

I don't think I expected a happy ending, but maybe something where he sacrifices himself for her in some way. Maybe he sacrifices himself precisely because he doesn't want to hurt her. I dunno. I can just say that I wasn't positive that he would end up attacking her.

Sinister, Green Room, Krampus, Cemetery Man (I guess that was a comedy too), Thirst which was good enough but still irritated me, and now Maniac. I'm almost considering putting together a classic horror movie setlist for my next series so we can get some good horror movies up in this place. And yes, I know some posters liked the ones we've had so far, but they've largely been swing and a miss for me. But maybe that's me.

Green Room is not really a horror film to me. More of a suspense thriller.

And I'd be curious to see what your horror all-star lineup would look like.

- Jason X
- AvP: Requiem
- The Bye Bye Man
- The Human Centipede 3: Final Sequence

#JeicexBless

I don't think I expected a happy ending, but maybe something where he sacrifices himself for her in some way. Maybe he sacrifices himself precisely because he doesn't want to hurt her. I dunno. I can just say that I wasn't positive that he would end up attacking her.

It's funny you say that, because I was thinking that about the lady from the art gallery that he chastised as though it was his mother. But then, it got dark. There was no hope for him there, because I figured if anyone would stop him it would be someone that would remind him of his mother. I think of the final season of Dexter, which was terrible horrible no good and very bad, but there was the episode where the fake killer idiot that held the ret-conned "creator of Dexter" hostage until she slapped him around saying she was ashamed of him like an angry mother. I know that's a tough reference for a show that fell apart, but still, the scene clicked for me.

He loved her and wanted her dead because reasons. I guess that simultaneously frustrated and intrigued me, because I wanted to know why he wanted them all dead. He left tons of evidence at crime scenes, so I don't know how he hadn't gotten caught yet. I mean hell, in the bathroom when he threw up after he killed the redhead, he cleaned up the toilet itself but left some vomit on the floor that he missed, not to mention putting his fingers everywhere.

Green Room is not really a horror film to me. More of a suspense thriller.

It's a decent point, I considered Green Room a horror/thriller because of the nature of the killings. I guess thrillers can be plenty brutal too, but the gore and viscera lent it more towards horror for me.

As for my best horror flicks, I don't know if I'd go for my own favorites as much as I would throw on some classics or important horror movies people should have seen but haven't (so no Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, or Friday the 13th). For instance, I would probably have the film that they watched in Maniac on that list - The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

This could be a tentative list of my suggestions covering the horror bases:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - The all-time classic
The Birds - The terror from something not usually terrifying
The Exorcist - Demons, yo
The Thing - Paranoia and fear and aliens, oh my
The Silence of the Lambs - The right time to hear Q Lazzarus

But that list would probably be too mainstream and I imagine most if not all members of the club should have watched a minimum of three of those. I'd have put the original Nosferatu on the list but that would almost be too cliche, so I think I'd throw on the Herzog/Kinski Nosferatu remake on the shortlist instead because Kinski brings an innate madness to Dracula. It wouldn't really open people up to films they've never seen before, but on the other hand, if they haven't seen them, it would be huge for them.

Last edited:
- Jason X
Best part:

hqdefault.jpg

As for my best horror flicks, I don't know if I'd go for my own favorites as much as I would throw on some classics or important horror movies people should have seen but haven't (so no Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, or Friday the 13th). For instance, I would probably have the film that they watched in Maniac on that list - The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

This could be a tentative list of my suggestions covering the horror bases:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - The all-time classic
The Birds - The terror from something not usually terrifying
The Exorcist - Demons, yo
The Thing - Paranoia and fear and aliens, oh my
The Silence of the Lambs - The right time to hear Q Lazzarus

But that list would probably be too mainstream and I imagine most if not all members of the club should have watched a minimum of three of those. I'd have put the original Nosferatu on the list but that would almost be too cliche, so I think I'd throw on the Herzog/Kinski Nosferatu remake on the shortlist instead because Kinski brings an innate madness to Dracula. It wouldn't really open people up to films they've never seen before, but on the other hand, if they haven't seen them, it would be huge for them.

As you know, horror is not my favorite genre, so there are a lot of films I haven't seen. I just barely make the "at least three" cut for your list, having seen The Exorcist, The Thing and Silencr of the Lambs.

If I were to do a horror week, which I'm pretty much guaranteed to not do, it would probably look something like this:

The Omen - the OTHER 70s supernatural thriller, which I suspect fewer people have actually seen than you'd think

Dracula 2000 - fun popcorn Drac film that I think is a lot smarter than it's usually given credit for; also, almost no one has seen it

Suspiria - never seen it but been meaning to watch it for years; might as well throw it in there and see what happens

Cat People - watched this a little while back and enjoyed it; a good example of making the best of a small budget; but since I suspect many members might find it slow and uneventful I'd be tempted to put Freddy vs Jason or Bride of Chucky in instead

Should watch Dracula 3000

Coolio as Dracula vs. an ex-baywatch star, tiny lister and those are the stars!

And its filmed entirely in an oil tanker or sonething despite it being a spaceship

As per Jason X I always loved the ending wher he re ebters earths orbit and his new steel mask lands at the bottom of crystal lake...always thought that was a great campy touch

It could make the audience feel like they're the ones killing, since the whole thing is shot in first person. It was very voyeuristic

To my thinking, what is needed to create an successful sensation of voyeurism is for some sort of objectification to happen to the person we're meant to be observing. In Maniac we see everything from Wood's eyesight but I never really got the impression that we're objectifying the person's he's meant to be looking at. His overall dispossition is just to looney for an observation like that to take place -- and the characters he interacts with are so one-dimensional that I never engage with them.

Hitchcock obviously always did objectification very well. Dario Argento's Opera is another excellent example.

Plenty of gore, huh. It didn't skimp on blood or brutality or anything like it. It seemed like one of those "bloody for the sake of being bloody" movies more than anything. "Watch as we scalp this woman while she's screaming, that sounds like fun."

Yeah, when you're watching something by a guy like Cronenberg, Tarantino, Woo, Peckinpah (and many others) you get this impression that these guys have some deep-seated fascination with bloodshed and violence, which makes the presentation of violence very engaging. In Maniac, it just feels like the director did an uninspired attempt at trying to be shocking.

Suspiria - never seen it but been meaning to watch it for years; might as well throw it in there and see what happens

Definitively a love-it-or-hate it movie due to it's style (the same can be said for every Argento film). It's probably my third favorite horror movie though. The first time I watched it I was just dazzled by the entire experience. I felt genuinelly disoriated for the rest of the day. It's one of those movies that sucks you in so deep that when you're done watching it you emerge into the real world and look around as if everything is strange and unfamiliar to you.:D

Definitively a love-it-or-hate it movie due to it's style (the same can be said for every Argento film). It's probably my third favorite horror movie though. The first time I watched it I was just dazzled by the entire experience. I felt genuinelly disoriated for the rest of the day. It's one of those movies that sucks you in so deep that when you're done watching it you emerge into the real world and look around as if everything is strange and unfamiliar to you.:D

Sounds interesting. I think that I suspect there's a possibility I won't be into it which is why I still haven't pulled the trigger on it. But one day. . .

BTW, are you aware that a remake is in the works?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034415/

BTW, are you aware that a remake is in the works?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034415/

No. But these days I just assume that every movie has a remake in the works.

It will probably suck though. Suspiria was superb due to the mood and atmosphere that it conveyed. Those are very artistic touches, hallmarks of Dario's style. You can't really replicate things like that. Most likely they'll just make it a run-to-the-mill horror movie.

No. But these days I just assume that every movie has a remake in the works.

It will probably suck though. Suspiria was superb due to the mood and atmosphere that it conveyed. Those are very artistic touches, hallmarks of Dario's style. You can't really replicate things like that. Most likely they'll just make it a run-to-the-mill horror movie.

I guess we'll see. I am curious to see how it turns out.

It's got my girl Chloe Moretz in it so that alone is enough to make me want to check it out.

Back