SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 37 Discussion - Maniac

I about fell on the floor when you mentioned The Exorcist lol. Bravo to you for that. But a horror for you? And I give it a 10/10 as well btw.

Ha. Usually if I AM going to watch a horror film then it's going to be a supernatural horror film. Stuff like The Ring, The Conjuring, The Omen, Let the Right One In, Poltergeist, The Witch, The Others (is that horror?), It Follows and The Exorcist I can get down with.

Speaking of The Exorcist specifically, I both have a collector's Blu-Ray edition as well as an old 25th Anniversary VHS edition that is incredible.

6305662371.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Some real quick 10/10s for me off the top of my head:

The Exorcist

The Ring

Drive

Bridesmaids

This is a the End

Saving Private Ryan (mainly just for the battle scenes and the mother whose sons were killed in battle - that scene man)

Breakdown

The Next Three Days

Dumb and Dumber

Prisoners

There are always parts of movies that are 10/10 as well, but rarely full films.

Breakdown, really?

Some real quick 10/10s for me off the top of my head:

The Exorcist

The Ring

Drive

Bridesmaids

This is a the End

Saving Private Ryan (mainly just for the battle scenes and the mother whose sons were killed in battle - that scene man)

Breakdown

The Next Three Days

Dumb and Dumber

Prisoners

There are always parts of movies that are 10/10 as well, but rarely full films.

I got your back with The Exorcist.

Breakdown, really?

To me it's one of the best action thrillers of all time. Some of the scenes are so taut with emotion too. Just watched it again about a year ago. It's still amazing. And I like Kurt Russell a lot so there's that. A perfect film for what it was.

To me it's one of the best action thrillers of all time. Some of the scenes are so taut with emotion too. Just watched it again about a year ago. It's still amazing. And I like Kurt Russell a lot so there's that. A perfect film for what it was.

Interesting. I remember seeing it in the theater when it first came out and I actually found it kind of dull.

To me it's one of the best action thrillers of all time. Some of the scenes are so taut with emotion too. Just watched it again about a year ago. It's still amazing. And I like Kurt Russell a lot too. A perfect film for what it was.

I loved Breakdown too bro. Course you gotta love Kurt Russell, but JT Walsh always delivered

1415772079J.%20T.%20Walsh.jpg

Really? Wow. I've thought of including it in one of the rounds, we'll see.

Indeed. I think the story just wasn't there for me.

I'm with you on Drive and The Next Three Days though.

Not sure that I'd call The Next Three Days a 10, but it's definitely an underrated film that deserved a lot more attention when it came out.

After seeing the critic and user score for the movie on IMDb I wasn't expecting much, so I was a little confused after the first 10 minutes.

Right off the bat there were several promising signs. Firstly the dialogue was very quiet, like it was being filmed from a distance, the taxi cab is just as loud as the girls conversation. This forces the viewer to turn the volume up really loud creating a more enjoyable experience. It also made the characters seem smaller and vulnerable against the dark, busy, loud city streets.

Interesting thoughts thus far, and I agree with your articulation.

Secondly the characters were both female, and not the tough type either. They're the vulnerable type, and they're nice girls, neither wanting to take the only cab and leave the other one alone. Its not like a lot of horror movies where you're supposed to root for an asshole jock and his friends or a serial killer. There's no reason to not root for the girl

The way the killer cut the power to the first girls apartment building was definitely done in a maniacal violent fashion, living up to the title.

No creepy music slowly building to a crescendo, just a bit of heavy breathing, a vulnerable girl, and a dark hallway with no power. Very well done. The stabbing through the mouth was very realistic looking, imo.

I have no disagreement here as well. And I agree at the realism of the kill.

I would say, though, that the one girl walking alone while noticing Wood's character in the van was a bit unbelievable. But I guess it happens.

We're off to a promising start, if you're looking for a horror/thriller.
Unfortunately from there on out it was just a steady stream of horrific realistic killings, with maybe 3 minutes of "explanation " for his actions.

Generally horrors don't have a lot of depth, and I'd say this one has more than most. The explanation came out in his flashbacks of his mom, and, after the dinner date with his first victim, the psychological turmoil of not being able to "have just one."

Myself, I liked the fact his motives weren't spelled out more than this.

Why was he able to control himself around Anna but around everyone else he was a psychopath?

First, Anna came to him and appreciated his craftsmanship. In fact she wanted pictures and to include the manequins in her show. She also demonstrated trust with the introduction. So there was actually a lot of reasons why he had a different reaction, control with her.
How could someone that fucked up run their own business? He was batshit crazy and tried to murder every good looking girl he saw, and he had no customers... how did he get a mannequin shop?

The store was passed down, a family business. It looked like a low-rent area of town. Also, it seemed like buyers would be special collectors, not Sears women-section managers. The one restoration Anna thought was beautiful was from the 1930s or something like that. Next, he didn't come across as wealthy driving an old van and whatnot. A lot of family businesses get passed along on a shoestring budget and survive if there's no mortgage and little/no staff. Perhaps there had been an inheritance too, who knows.

He said it was his Mom's but she was a hooker so... it's unlikely she started her own mannequin restoration store.

It's unclear if she actually was a hooker or more likely IMO, a woman who inherited her parents business, had a shlub of a husband or bf who left her as a single lonely mother looking for affections wherever she could find them. Maybe she supplemented her shop hooking, but we don't know. All of this is very plausible and happens a lot (maybe not the hooking but the rest).

Why was it just a night time thing? He never killed during the day.

I don't think it's a stretch to think that most killings occur during the evening hours. And it was fall as when they were sitting by the pond, so the dark hours are longer than in the summer.

I guess because he saw his mom getting banged at night. Surely having a prostitute mom would be horrible but c'mon, lots of people have suffered worse and this guy was basically worse than the worst serial killer in history, all because he suffered from headaches and had a hooker mom. I don't buy it.

Not sure you can deduce worst killer in history. In the movie he killed 4 and Anna was his 5th. But the news were reporting the kills by the time he went after Anna's agent. So it seems he was in the final spiral.

Does he know you can buy wigs made of real human hair? No blood or rotting flesh, just human hair and a hair net. No scalping people required... that whole putting the scalps on mannequins thing was ridiculous.
He was obviously not mentally right, so he wasn't thinking in a logical way like you or I might. Further, the lines between reality and fantasy had been coming in and out of focus for some time. The fact that there were only the four or five mannequins with scalps was indicative of his final descent into madness. And BTW, I believe there was a painter who gouged his own eyes out.

This is just garbage designed to make attractive women terrified to go outside. The director seems like the Hollywood version of a bully-cop out for revenge on the cool kids and hot chicks through horrible pointless movies like this.

I think you might be reading more into this than warranted. Of course a horror movie is meant to elicit fear though.

Just take a look at a picture of
Director, Franck Kalhoun on IMDb. it screams out mindless hipster sheep. There's nothing original about this guy, he's a hack.

I never even thought to look up what the director looks like. I don't think I've ever done this lol. It seems this film evoked some feelings in you anyway.
If it wasn't for the SMC I would've shut this off, instead I'm just playing on my phone as it plays in the background.

Ok we get it, he's insane. How many long ass uncomfortable murder scenes with women screaming and begging for their life do we have to sit through? I don't hate women. This is just pointless and horrible to watch. There's no redeeming value for me.

If the guy was hideous and didn't always act like a psychopathic creep this would make a lot more sense. The girls were right to run from him.

The ending was symbolic of... how stupid the movie is. Sorry but this is awful.

Using first person was... stupid. As if the only thing stopping me from relating to psychopathic serial killers is the camera angle. Give me a break.

3/10

Not all good movies wrap up with a bow. I'm guessing you don't watch too many horrors, but many are even more pointless than this one. In the end he actually was found out by police in the hell of his living space.

This story isn't that dissimilar to real life serial killers. The guy (Ed Gein, I believe) who inspired The Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies actually had a similar childhood in some ways to the Maniac. Then, women started missing in Ed's town. By the time they investigated his farmhouse, they found lampshades made of women's skin, and furniture made from bones etc. It was a literal horror house. The documentary is on youtube and a real eye-opener. Many of the most horrific serial killers murdered dozens of victims in unbelievable ways. So really, this film was quite realistic in that regard.

Anyway, thanks for the write-up. I can see how this film wouldn't be appreciated by everyone.

Last edited:
r0xEuD.gif

Yeah this movie sucks a big one. Easily among the worst in this clubs history. At least Spring Breakers wasn't this lazy and uninspired.

Bisexual characterized parts of Elijah Wood's performance as a "caricature".

For me, his entire character was a caricature. It's eye-rollingly bad how "creepy" Elijah is supposed to be.
First, I don't agree. Or at least not entirely. Regardless, if you think he's a caricature and this movie is more or less one, is that in and of itself a bad thing? Just the thought of this being inherently a bad thing reminds me of his caricature in Sin City and actually how fantastic that character was.

It's a painfully untactful portrayl. He starts fainting or having a migrane at the drop of a hat. His every line-delivery is just tittering on the edge of panic. It is so overt that it becomes lame. And this makes his interaction with everyone else feel stupid. Why are they all reacting this normally to him when just by the tone of his voice tells you that he's about to experience a breakdown.

The story is unfolding in his final descent into madness and his ultimate undoing. All of these symptoms aren't normative to the common person. But, that said, Anna quickly makes the connection that he killed her agent within a few words of him saying something relatively minor, suggesting that she knew something wasn't quite right with Wood's character all along but was being naively charitable in friendship - something also unfortunately common by younger women/girls.

Creepy people are "off" in some manner. Elijah is off at all times. Creepiness plays on the fear of there being something subtly wrong about the person in question. As if there is something intangible that you cannot fully describe that makes them not fit in (Norman Bates being the ur-example of this). Elijah's creepiness doesn't work because it's so overt, removing all that wonder and alertness in your mind over why you're feeling this way. He's like a drunk person stumbling along an alley. Everyone can see what the deal is.

Meh, people like this get missed, are given the benefit of the doubt all the time.

And the fucking mommy stuff? Please.

Huh? Why so incredulous? There are numerous documentaries of serial killers on youtube. Many horror movies were made from their stories. And most of these killers had really terrible, life-altering childhoods. I think your reaction is bizarre tbh.

And by all the... Guuuhh this movie was visually unstimulating. Everything about it was, really. It's as if the director was to lazy to give anything; the visuals, the ideas, the characters, some sort of defining touch.

I feel the exact opposite. And by the apparent emotion in your writing I think it triggered something in you, like it or not.

Just look at how lazily the mommy stuff was handled. It's as if the director thought that merely by mentioning mommy problems he gives his movie gravitas. These things need to be implemented skillfully, with some sort of idea or technique that makes them stand out and resonate.

I disagree again. There wasn't just a passing mention of his mommy. There were at least three visually disturbing scenes that put the story together about his past. Would all of that worked say other way? By him divulging his troubled past to Anna or a victim on the first date? I think the subject matter and maybe vulgarity is more troubling than the manner the story was told.

The kills were mediocre at best. Nothing that hasn't been done a milion times elsewhere.

Again, I high disagree. The kills were far more realistic and weren't disguised by camera filters like in Evil Dead or the many run--of -the mill slasher productions. The slow-carving of the agent's back didn't look like someone dragging a blade with corn-syrop behind it. The scalping looked extremely surgical with bone, tissue and tearing. The knife through the girl's jaw seen through her gaping mouth, anyway, no, the deaths were certainly not same old same old. I mean these beat the cgi-fests of Final Destinations or Saws.

Jesus Christ, THAT was his idea? I was wondering what the hell sort of an design-choise it was supposed to be to film so much from first-person. Especially BAD first-person as in this film. But reading this it just hit me. The director wants us to relate to this clown?

The only relating was through his actions, voice, scrubbing his hands with wire-brush etc. This was really effective. We were taken into unfamiliar territory otherwise.

Please. Wood's character is already such a laughing stock that we can't take him seriously. We can't relate to him because the man behind the camera has no relatability to us at all. The first-person footage just comes of as a lazy attempt of putting you in the moment that falls completely flat.

Again, we don't relate to the psychosis, we see it through his psychotic lenses. I think you're missing a lot on the conscious-level, but your subconscious is getting it I believe.

Christ this movie is even boring to talk about! I'm to unintrested to even edit what I've written about this film. Who cares if it's come out articulate or cohesive or not? This movie does not deserve words.

Fuck it. Maybe I come back tomorrow to clean this up. I just can't care about this shit right now.

Thanks too for your thoughts. It's a movie to be liked on a different level than is normal. But it's fine too if you hate it and never see it differently.

It evoked an emotional response which let's me know it was pretty good.

I remember watching Legends Of the Fall in the theatre when I was young and despising it. I left the theatre so angry, feltthat way all through the night. By a day or two later I was like . . . "That actually waan't too bad" even though I hated how the story went, it's portrayal of reality. In effect, it actually was fairly true to life but I didn't like that for where I was at. Anyway, that's just an aside that came to mind.

Last edited:
I'll Comment on your post tomorrow @shadow_priest_x I have to hit the sack.

I'm also interested in hearing a few other opinions.

This discussion does remind me of the Spring Breakers one where it was just a couple of us who loved it.

My Enter the Void kinda got slaughtered as well

tumblr_inline_mf8wixyJEo1rozftz.gif

Now that I think about it, yeah, there wasn't a ton of positivity for that one either.

It looks like we're on track this week for something light and fun. Hopefully that will work out well.

I'll Comment on your post tomorrow @shadow_priest_x I have to hit the sack.

I'm also interested in hearing a few other opinions.

This discussion does remind me of the Spring Breakers one where it was just a couple of us who loved it.

I'll bump it up to an even 5.0.

Back