Sherdog knife making thread

Fucked up the skinner I was working on, didn't have small enough stock so used a file but then forged the bevels too thin. Might order some 1095 never used before and have a bag of satanite. So I might have a go at some hamons like @Protectandserve. Prob get some more 1085 and sup9 too. So because of that I thought I'd post my first knives

First knife ever finished. Forged from a leaf Spring. Pretty useless, bevels are too thick
hSq44Bq.jpg

Second one and first leather sheath. Forged from a old file. Its my camping knife now , seemed to got the heat treat pretty good it sharpens pretty easy and holds a edge good. I've done a bit of deer processing that mates have got before and works pretty well at that task. Ugly as but it works very well for me( prob should upgrade soon though)
aykIMml.jpg

Going deer hunting sat and all three of us have knives I've made so should be a good test how they perform in the field( also going to give that Bowie I made a bash)

Seems to be a few knife makers here so I thought maybe we should have a thread to post wips, finished works and tips and other shit @Protectandserve @Einar @Higus
Finally finished this one forged from sup9
t0MS6hn.jpg

lLnsZ7K.jpg

P.s. Mods knives are not inherently weapons , this threads about the art of making them

Is it possible to make a knife with a blade that's pure titanium steel or pure tungstun carbide (as in not just coated or tipped, but where ALL of the metal in the knife is either titanium steel or tungsten carbide)? Would it be significantly better than other knives made of different metals?

Is it possible to make a knife with a blade that's pure titanium steel or pure tungstun carbide (as in not just coated or tipped, but where ALL of the metal in the knife is either titanium steel or tungsten carbide)? Would it be significantly better than other knives made of different metals?
Don't know about tungsten carbide but there's titanium knives ( I don't know if there's such a thing of titanium steel, could be wrong) there's a maker on blade forums that forges titanium swords on bladeforums, I can't remember his name and I'm on the way to the cinema but I'll find his threads for ya when I get back. As to how it performs all I know the right titanium is incredibly tough for its weight don't know about the rest. It does seem there's many types of titanium with vastly different aspects

Not an expert, but it is possible to make a knife/blade out of titanium, but it's pretty difficult for the average hobbyist. It's got a good strength to weight ratio, but it's softer and more expensive than steel, so your blade would be mostly for show. I've seen SCUBA knives that were made of titanium because of their corrosion resistance.

Tungsten carbide is naturally a powder that is pressed into shape. It's hard and corrosion resistant, but it's pretty brittle by itself, hence why it's used as a coating material most often. It's still possible to make blades from them, though. There are some companies that make them, but they are very expensive due to the cost of the material and the challenging manufacturing process.

Just had an idea from answering the last question.
What if you made a sword that was like one of the Polynesian shark tooth swords, but replaced the teeth with WC inserts?
e6b094733ba5fb766df24742c09aaf0d.jpg

That would be an awesome cyberpunk weapon

Ok its been a bit but cut out the blank for the seax.

I like the shape and size of it so far. Need to order some wood or horn for the handle though. And some other belts for the sander...

u8SO7y3.jpg

Forged a friction folder blade today out of a old file and did some work on a 1084 santoku( cut the rough profile out only forged in some distal taper)
jhEgukM.jpg

QSGp88T.jpg

File hunter ready for heat treat
wRgzViK.jpg

File skinner rough profiled( I grind in a rough profile then refine with files, find it easier to get the shap I want even throw it takes longer)
lIVrv3Z.jpg

Sup 9 Bowie roughed profiled
VlhamTd.jpg

A sup 9 kukri that I'm having trouble with the bevels, gonna have to jury rig my grinder I think
x5mcfYr.jpg

The santoku is the priority, engagement present in two weeks

Also that deer hunt I went on we got nothing but I found a antler so looking forward to some antler handled knives

Back