Sherdog knife making thread

Cool mate, where are you located?

Do you forge the steel yourself?
Thanks , I'm in Bendigo

Yeah forge them, my favourite part

I'm planning on forging tomorrow need to get a skinner done by next week for a mate I'm going deer hunting with. I'll take some pics of my set up

Thanks , I'm in Bendigo

Yeah forge them, my favourite part

I'm planning on forging tomorrow need to get a skinner done by next week for a mate I'm going deer hunting with. I'll take some pics of my set up

When you think you're good enough pm me, Id like to buy one. Either that or swap for a big knot of Mango wood

Thanks but I use one of these
cache.php

And then water stones.

But I've heard nothing but good things about the work sharp

When you think you're good enough pm me, Id like to buy one. Either that or swap for a big knot of Mango wood
No worries will do, hopefully I'll be confident enough soon hahaha

Thanks but I use one of these
cache.php

And then water stones.

But I've heard nothing but good things about the work sharp

Figured you had a better set up, just posted because that sale is like $90 cheaper than going rate.

So here is the left over piece from my last one that is still in the works. Any of you knife makers got a good design idea? I'm thinking a chopper or Viking Seax.

g7tvlWA.jpg

Still gotta finish the other one though.

So years ago, I won one of these things (Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor knife) in a KnifeForums contest:

Dartmoor-Knife-CSK185-survival-kit_650.jpg

The tube fits into the hollow of the tang and it is a full tang, which separates it from all those shitty hollow handled 80s style Rambo knives. They're selling at like $500-900 online, so I think I'm going to keep it, even though it's not really practical for anything and is pretty silly overall.

That said, the blanks can be had for pretty cheap and guys have been customizing them.

Dylan-Williams-Dartmoor.jpg

WS%20Dartmoor%20knife%20Cocobolo%202.jpg

DartmoorAfzelia.Oliepod.3.jpg

Stephen-J-Dartmoor-Carbonfibre-knife.jpg

Here's my question. One of the unique things about these blanks is that hollow in the tang. I'd like to retain that hollow for storage while ending up with a blade like these customs. Any ideas on how you could do the scales in a way to make that hollow space usable for something?

So years ago, I won one of these things (Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor knife) in a KnifeForums contest:

The tube fits into the hollow of the tang and it is a full tang, which separates it from all those shitty hollow handled 80s style Rambo knives. They're selling at like $500-900 online, so I think I'm going to keep it, even though it's not really practical for anything and is pretty silly overall.

That said, the blanks can be had for pretty cheap and guys have been customizing them.

Here's my question. One of the unique things about these blanks is that hollow in the tang. I'd like to retain that hollow for storage while ending up with a blade like these customs. Any ideas on how you could do the scales in a way to make that hollow space usable for something?

Is there a picture of the blanks without scales because the way they are pinned in those pics it doesn't look to be the same construction as yours.

Hogue EX-F01 is designed like this.

66-1745-9.jpg

HO35178nw.jpg

Is there a picture of the blanks without scales because the way they are pinned in those pics it doesn't look to be the same construction as yours.

They are. I remember group buys being organized for the unground blanks. I think the curves were ground out of the tangs.

http://www.dartmoorknife.co.uk/

And search "Dartmoor knife custom" and you'll see that those are the blanks from the website. Though they don't seem to have the blank selection like they used to.

So here is the left over piece from my last one that is still in the works. Any of you knife makers got a good design idea? I'm thinking a chopper or Viking Seax.

g7tvlWA.jpg

Yeah my vote is for seax as well

They are. I remember group buys being organized for the unground blanks. I think the curves were ground out of the tangs.

http://www.dartmoorknife.co.uk/

And search "Dartmoor knife custom" and you'll see that those are the blanks from the website. Though they don't seem to have the blank selection like they used to.

I just don't see what those pins would be going through with that blank tang design.

g7tvlWA.jpg

Seax is the sex, it gets my vote.

That's a tough question. I see all the other ones don't have guards while yours does, is it fixed? If not you could remove it and attach a couple of screws there. Another way might be how Japanese swords and knives are done. Two halves with a chiseled out space then have some screw/bolts go through the void. Problem I see with that you could end up with a pretty beefy handle.

If it was me seeing they are worth that much and I'm making the assumption they are increasing in value I'd leave as is and go blank shopping , but I'm a cheap bastard

Sorry I couldn't be much help

Good to hear the seax is the consensus. Been binge watching Vikings on history channel and like the look of them.

Guess it will be my next attempt.

I just don't see what those pins would be going through with that blank tang design.

Well, that's why I'm asking.

You can see the one on top with the thumb ridges and the one on bottom with the back saw teeth partially retained.

That's a tough question. I see all the other ones don't have guards while yours does, is it fixed? If not you could remove it and attach a couple of screws there. Another way might be how Japanese swords and knives are done. Two halves with a chiseled out space then have some screw/bolts go through the void. Problem I see with that you could end up with a pretty beefy handle.

If it was me seeing they are worth that much and I'm making the assumption they are increasing in value I'd leave as is and go blank shopping , but I'm a cheap bastard

Sorry I couldn't be much help

I'd keep mine.

The guard is removable.

I'm just curious if there are any ideas for a practical (or impractical) for that hollow, open area in the tang. Even as a novelty. That would be the only reason I'd get a blank and try to get a real knife maker to custom make me a knife. If not, it's nothing I would pursue for what I guess is becoming an increasingly rare and expensive blank.

I'd keep mine.

The guard is removable.

I'm just curious if there are any ideas for a practical (or impractical) for that hollow, open area in the tang. Even as a novelty. That would be the only reason I'd get a blank and try to get a real knife maker to custom make me a knife. If not, it's nothing I would pursue for what I guess is becoming an increasingly rare and expensive blank.
Well if impractical is ok you could shape some scales and hollow the underside keeping the edges flat then have your removable screws/bolts go through near the top and bottom of the cut out in the tang and just have friction hold it in place(wouldn't hold up well to use) Another option is para cord instead of scales. is it designed to hold stuff in the cutout of is it for reducing the weight? When I make a full tang I'll often drill extra holes that don't get any pins to make it more blade heavy.

One thing that is a bit concerning to me is there doesn't seem like a whole lot of metal around the cutout.

For the other ones with the fixed scales I assume the cutout has been filled with epoxy or epoxy mixed with a filler

Well, that's why I'm asking.

You can see the one on top with the thumb ridges and the one on bottom with the back saw teeth partially retained.

Yeah I don't see a way to leave that spot open practically. Anywhere you drill on the tang would definitely compromise the strength as there just doesn't seem to be a lot of meat left. Maybe weld in some pre-drilled steel pieces on each side of the hollow section. It would eat up some of the space but would allow for the scales to be put on & removed without compromising the strength.

Back