• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scoring idea to replace 10-point must system (Whittaker/Romero II update)

You're right, it's similar to the 10-point must. Most of the time, it'll produce the same results as the 10-point must.

The area my system shines though is in the area it differs from the 10-point must. The really close fights. The BRR or RBB fights. Is that 1 dominant round worth more or less than those 2 lesser rounds? 10-point must doesn't answer that question well. It either fails to score 10-8's, or scores them too strongly (rare), or it scores draws.
I see nothing wrong with a draw

I see nothing wrong with a draw
There's a few things wrong with a draw. They're bad for business. Fans boo after draws. And they lack resolution, in that they neither progress or regress a fighter's career.

But it's not even about that. It's not ultimately about avoiding draws. Even in a razor-thin, as-close-to-50-50 fight as you can get, one fighter will still have fought better than the other, even if it's by the most miniscule of margins. Any such fight would go to judge discretion decision in my system, where they can try and highlight that fighter with that marginal edge.

Even more importantly than that, while you might not have a problem with the principal of scoring draws, you might have a problem with a particular fight being scored a draw. Let's say there's a fight where 1 fighter has an unbelievably dominant round in which he nearly finishes his opponent twice. His opponent wins the other 2 rounds by the most fractional margins, and they could easily have gone the other way. Let's say it gets scored 28-28. My system gives the fight to the guy who deserves it.

Let's go the other way from the example in the above paragraph. Let's say Fighter A wins a round convincingly. It only just meets the criteria for a 10-8 round. Historically, most would have scored it 10-9. But with the new scoring changes made recently, it gets scored 10-8. Meanwhile, Fighter B clearly wins the other 2 rounds, but doesn't get 10-8 for either. By the end, most agree that Fighter B should win the fight. Unfortunately, it got scored 28-28. Again, my system gives the fight to the guy who deserves it.

Are you for real TS? LOL.

All that gigantic stupid text just to say "rounds should only be scored 10-9 so no draws would be possible."

Should think things better before posting.

I actually think we should score it based on the binary numbering system.

Red: 00001010 - Blue: 00001001 = Red corner won, 10-9

so basically a 10-9 system with letters instead of numbers... and we stack up the score instead of add them up...

great ts, now please get me my cheeseburger.

Are you for real TS? LOL.

All that gigantic stupid text just to say "rounds should only be scored 10-9 so no draws would be possible."

Should think things better before posting.
That isn't how the system works. You failed to understand. You almost have the opposite. In my system, no rounds are equal.

so basically a 10-9 system with letters instead of numbers... and we stack up the score instead of add them up...

great ts, now please get me my cheeseburger.
Wrong. I'm not surprised you didn't understand. Re-read until your brain eventually absorbs the correct information. If you still don't understand, look at my replies in this thread.

This doesn't solve the problem of incompetent judges who don't understand the scoring criteria.

Better idea is to score the rounds d or v... one fighter is wearing the pants and V for the fighter acting like a vagina.

My idea is better than TS

There's a few things wrong with a draw. They're bad for business. Fans boo after draws. And they lack resolution, in that they neither progress or regress a fighter's career.

But it's not even about that. It's not ultimately about avoiding draws. Even in a razor-thin, as-close-to-50-50 fight as you can get, one fighter will still have fought better than the other, even if it's by the most miniscule of margins. Any such fight would go to judge discretion decision in my system, where they can try and highlight that fighter with that marginal edge.

Even more importantly than that, while you might not have a problem with the principal of scoring draws, you might have a problem with a particular fight being scored a draw. Let's say there's a fight where 1 fighter has an unbelievably dominant round in which he nearly finishes his opponent twice. His opponent wins the other 2 rounds by the most fractional margins, and they could easily have gone the other way. Let's say it gets scored 28-28. My system gives the fight to the guy who deserves it.

Let's go the other way from the example in the above paragraph. Let's say Fighter A wins a round convincingly. It only just meets the criteria for a 10-8 round. Historically, most would have scored it 10-9. But with the new scoring changes made recently, it gets scored 10-8. Meanwhile, Fighter B clearly wins the other 2 rounds, but doesn't get 10-8 for either. By the end, most agree that Fighter B should win the fight. Unfortunately, it got scored 28-28. Again, my system gives the fight to the guy who deserves it.
Meh. Just score the fight as a whole every time if going back to that as a tiebreaker criteria is "where your system shines" anyway

I don't like it, not every round is black or white
The problem is not the system, is the judging criteria and how judges apply them

Meh. Just score the fight as a whole every time if going back to that as a tiebreaker criteria is "where your system shines" anyway
That leaves way, way too much room for "creative" judging. In my system, most fights will be scored by the rounds. Only the most even fights will see judge discretion used. Furthermore, when judging the fight as a whole, the judges will be comparing specific rounds. For example, if the fight is scored RBB, they'll be specifically weighing up that dominant red round against the 2 less dominant blue rounds. Think of it like this:

Red wins round 1 comfortably. A judge doesn't quite see it as 10-8 though. He scores it 10-9.
Blue squeaks by in both rounds 2 and 3, and that same judge gives him each 10-9.
At the end, the judge is forced to score the fight for blue. In my system, he'd have a RBB score. With that, he'll be able to decide which fighter he favors more.

So, your proposal is to replace one scoring system the judges don't understand... with another scoring system the judges won't understand?
A superior system that they don't understand, yes.

A superior system that they don't understand, yes.
What makes your system superior? As far as I can tell, it encourages point fighting, and stalling tactics like lay-and-pray or wall-and-stall because as long as you're up for the majority of the rounds, you will win as long as you don't get finished, even if you taking a beating in the remaining rounds due to a lack of point swings.

I don't like it, not every round is black or white
The problem is not the system, is the judging criteria and how judges apply them
I think there's problems with both:

The current existing system isn't perfect. And neither is mine. Though I think mine is better.

The judges obviously aren't perfect either. Of course I want the best possible judges, and the best possible training for the judges. But it's a separate issue,

Regarding the black/white thing -- yeah, some rounds are razor thin close. If that's the case, they'll be put at the back of the line in the scoring. For example, a razor thin round 1, scored for B, will score low and be at the very right of a RBB score.

What makes your system superior? As far as I can tell, it encourages point fighting, and stalling tactics like lay-and-pray or wall-and-stall because as long as you're up for the majority of the rounds, you will win as long as you don't get finished, even if you taking a beating in the remaining rounds due to a lack of point swings.
I was gonna say "Don't ask me how it's superior, as I've explained it ad nauseum in this thread" but I took it out as it sounded a bit rude. I'll quote this one post:

The area my system shines though is in the area it differs from the 10-point must. The really close fights. The BRR or RBB fights. Is that 1 dominant round worth more or less than those 2 lesser rounds? 10-point must doesn't answer that question well. It either fails to score 10-8's, or scores them too strongly (rare), or it scores draws.

Regarding your complaint, I don't think you've done the math. I don't envision a scenario in my system in which a fighter would fight conservatively, where he wouldn't do the same in the current system. You may be right and that scenario may exist, so by all means point it out to me if it does. To clarify, be specific (e.g. "if Fighter A is up X rounds in the current system...")

That leaves way, way too much room for "creative" judging. In my system, most fights will be scored by the rounds. Only the most even fights will see judge discretion used. Furthermore, when judging the fight as a whole, the judges will be comparing specific rounds. For example, if the fight is scored RBB, they'll be specifically weighing up that dominant red round against the 2 less dominant blue rounds. Think of it like this:

Red wins round 1 comfortably. A judge doesn't quite see it as 10-8 though. He scores it 10-9.
Blue squeaks by in both rounds 2 and 3, and that same judge gives him each 10-9.
At the end, the judge is forced to score the fight for blue. In my system, he'd have a RBB score. With that, he'll be able to decide which fighter he favors more.
You could just use the point system then and leave numerical draws up to the judge's discretion to decide the winner

Back