Scoring idea to replace 10-point must system (Whittaker/Romero II update)

Bruce buffer :
Judge 1 scores the fight BBRBR for woodley
Judge 2 scores the fight RRRBB for wonderboy
and judge C scores the fight BRBRB for a total of BRBRBRBRBRBBBBRVBRB"
Judge 1 scores it 4-1 in favor of Woodley
Judge 2 scores it 3-2 in favor of Wonderboy
Judge 3 scores it 2-3 in favor of Woodley (that's how I'd personally score the first fight; RRBBB to be specific)

What I'm saying is that the specific letter combination doesn't need to be read out. The RRBBB shit is only for the books and the calculations. Scores can just be read out as I did above.

edit: BTW apparently you missed bullet point 3 of my disclaimer

Judge 1 scores it 4-1 in favor of Woodley
Judge 2 scores it 3-2 in favor of Wonderboy
Judge 3 scores it 2-3 in favor of Woodley (that's how I'd personally score the first fight; RRBBB to be specific)

What I'm saying is that the specific letter combination doesn't need to be read out. The RRBBB shit is only for the books and the calculations. Scores can just be read out as I did above.

edit: BTW apparently you missed bullet point 3 of my disclaimer
Oh I don't read the posts I just skim enough to provide shertard answers

It doesn't fix the fundamental problem of judges awarding rounds to the wrong fighter.

This essentially boils down to a generic "majority win" premise with unnecessary judging criteria that would even further befuddle MMA judges that ALREADY can't seem to get things right. Interesting approach though.
I'll admit, as I did above, that the system would have problems. Judges would have to keep details of previous rounds in their memory.

The advantage of this system is that rounds can be scored more accurately. Currently, there's many shades of 10-9 with a few 10-8's thrown in.

I think the advantage is worth it

My bad if i missed the point because i already had beer.

But it seems you make every round a 10-9 or 9-10 (BR or RB) and have no option for a point deduction. What if a point deduction is needed?

Apart from that i like the idea to judge the fight as a whole.. but why not just do that from the start?

So no.

Why is RRB or RBR a win for R but BRR is up to the judge's discretion? Those are all two dominant rounds in favor of R. Also this scoring system is just 10 point must without any option for 10-8 rounds. You're still awarding rounds exactly the same way, you're just calling it something different.

so no point deductions? automatic round win if a deduction happens?
I did think about that. And there's 2 options.

1. There's what you suggest. That's the most simple way. And probably the way I'd go with. Round automatically goes against a fighter who commits a foul, no matter what they do.

2. Second option is to void a round's score entirely if its won by whomever committed the foul. This would create some more RBRB combinations though. Technically, they'd also contain an "X" to represent a voided round.

She lost

Get over it
giphy.gif

1. There's what you suggest. That's the most simple way. And probably the way I'd go with. Round automatically goes against a fighter who commits a foul, no matter what they do.

2. Second option is to void a round's score entirely if its won by whomever committed the foul. This would create some more RBRB combinations though. Technically, they'd also contain an "X" to represent a voided round.
Instead of an X it should be black but when we type about it we'll use K

so, going back to your OP -- there are in fact, more than 8/32 ways a fight can go..

if you thought about that, you should include it.

I dont like you're ideas for this -- just gave way more power to the official to make the case -- a simple cage grab can determine a fight.

It doesn't fix the fundamental problem of judges awarding rounds to the wrong fighter.
Agreed. But no changes to the scoring system would. Only changes to the judges themselves would. And I'm all in favor of that depending on the case

I propose....

The 11 point must system!

<mma4>

so, going back to your OP -- there are in fact, more than 8/32 ways a fight can go..

if you thought about that, you should include it.
I tried to keep my post as short as possible. It's already too long for most of Sherdog. And there's only more combinations if option #2 is how we go.

I tried to keep my post as short as possible. It's already too long for most of Sherdog. And there's only more combinations if option #2 is how we go.

sure, thats why you did not include it.

I'll admit, as I did above, that the system would have problems. Judges would have to keep details of previous rounds in their memory.

The advantage of this system is that rounds can be scored more accurately. Currently, there's many shades of 10-9 with a few 10-8's thrown in.

I do agree there is something wrong with the system of basically every round being 10-9. There are very clearly different levels of 10-9. I believe they should have half points. 9.5, 9, 8.5, 8, etc. Or just use a more lenient system of 9,8,7,6 points. It's annoying when someone squeaks out 2 rounds but gets crushed in the 3rd and then win the fight 29-28.

However the judges have hard enough time figuring out who won the round. 1/2 points (or giving them the option to choose from 9-6) are gonna muddy it up even more.

this would be complicated, but doable: each minute of the fight is scored using the 10 point system

I appreciate the effort, so I'd rather not just shit on the thread.

I simply believe that virtually any change in the 10-point must would just be asking too much out of judges. Especially if it required any extra mental effort.

I had an idea once to get away from the 10-point must, but again, probably too much for the judges:

Imagine, instead of "one fighter gets 10, the other fighter gets 9 or less..", the scores add up to a given number(10, for example).

So imagine the score for one round, instead of 10-9, is 6-4. Then the next round is 7-3. Then the next one is 8-2. That fighter would win 21-9.

It alleviates the issue of some rounds being won by a wider margin than others. The big issue though would be official criteria for reaching the scores for the rounds.

Back