• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scoring idea to replace 10-point must system (Whittaker/Romero II update)

You could just use the point system then and leave numerical draws up to the judge's discretion to decide the winner
You could do that. It's a half-measure though. It doesn't solve the problem I laid out in the post you quoted. In my example, Red may deserve the win. Yet, that fight wasn't scored a draw; it was scored 29-28 in favor of Blue. That's a problem.

I think there's problems with both:

The current existing system isn't perfect. And neither is mine. Though I think mine is better.

The judges obviously aren't perfect either. Of course I want the best possible judges, and the best possible training for the judges. But it's a separate issue,

Regarding the black/white thing -- yeah, some rounds are razor thin close. If that's the case, they'll be put at the back of the line in the scoring. For example, a razor thin round 1, scored for B, will score low and be at the very right of a RBB score.

Don't you think your system needs a 10-10 possibility?
I have nothing against draws, I'd rather see a draw instead of a fighter getting robbed only because the judge pick randomly one guy to win a close round

get rid of round scoring, give points for every clean strike landed like in amateur boxing. its the most accurate system

The problem with that is that you will get exactly what a lot of amateur boxing turned out to be: point fighting.

Basically just volume punch without doing real damage.

Don't you think your system needs a 10-10 possibility?
I have nothing against draws, I'd rather see a draw instead of a fighter getting robbed only because the judge pick randomly one guy to win a close round
I don't think a 10-10, or a "D" letter, or something like that makes sense in my system. There's a better way to produce draws, if that's deemed desirable:

There could be an option for judges to score it a draw through discretion if it gets to that stage. Let's say there's an RBB score produced, and all 3 rounds are close, almost coinflip rounds. RBB goes to discretion. If the judge truly can't separate the fighters, then he can score it a draw.

I don't think a 10-10, or a "D" letter, or something like that makes sense in my system. There's a better way to produce draws, if that's deemed desirable:

There could be an option for judges to score it a draw through discretion if it gets to that stage. Let's say there's an RBB score produced, and all 3 rounds are close, almost coinflip rounds. RBB goes to discretion. If the judge truly can't separate the fighters, then he can score it a draw.

yeah I read it from the OT but you have to be sure the judge actually remembers well the 3 or 5 entire rounds

IMO the less they have to decide, the better

The problem is, what do you call a dominant round? It doesn't really solve anything. And also, what if the judges forgot which round is dominant?

the problem isn't the scoring, give em tiddlywinks for all that matters, it's the judging.

You could do that. It's a half-measure though. It doesn't solve the problem I laid out in the post you quoted. In my example, Red may deserve the win. Yet, that fight wasn't scored a draw; it was scored 29-28 in favor of Blue. That's a problem.
There will always be an issue. What if you think that R's decisive round deserves the win over B's two close rounds and I don't?

Scoring will forever be subjective and imperfect. The system you've devised isn't really superior to the 10 point system now that 10-8s are supposed to be more common. Can you imagine how hard it would be to determine which round is worth more in some fights? The difference between one 10-9 and another is often nearly nonexistent. That alone leaves room for a TON of debate over outcomes in your system.

Last edited:
Wrong. I'm not surprised you didn't understand. Re-read until your brain eventually absorbs the correct information. If you still don't understand, look at my replies in this thread.

hurry up with the burger dude. you can play pretend later

This system will work but you need to add two more shades of blue and two more shades of red and a joker

Pride/One Championship judging is best

Round by round is rubbish

Great idea in theory.

In practice one judge may just remember that "big moment" and in the case choose wrong.

There will always be an issue. What if you think that R's decisive round deserves the win over B's two close rounds and I don't?

Scoring will forever be subjective and imperfect. The system you've devised isn't really superior to the 10 point system now that 10-8s are supposed to be more common. Can you imagine how hard it would be to determine which round is worth more in some fights? The difference between one 10-9 and another is often nearly nonexistent. That alone leaves room for a TON of debate over outcomes in your system.
Debate isn't a problem.

To answer your first question, then I'd score it for R and you'd score it for B. That's fine, there's no problem with that. It's why we have multiple judges.

My system is superior because it takes away the need for judges to measure whether a round falls on the side of 10-9 or 10-8. An example in one of my posts shows this. Ive kinda gone over it ad nauseum at this point.

It feels like you're arguing to be right rather than arguing to educate or learn. Make sure you're empathizing with me and trying to either fill me in on what I'm missing, or otherwise learn what you don't understand. At this point, i think we're on the same page but you just want to be right. This is very common so you don't have to feel bad about doing it. Though I feel you won't admit to doing it anyway...

I am alright with the scoring system TS proposed, but I am better with the current system with 1 change.

Make the scores PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE after each round. Let the corners, the fans, the fighters all know exactly where they are at. Put a damn scoreboard up. Why the mystery? It would be more exciting to know a fighter MUST win the last round. It would be great to have the fans boo the shit out of fucked up judging right when it happened.

it's a creative solution. The issue I see is the judges are ranking the entire fight at the end so they are essentially ordering the rounds to decide who one which emphasizes bias. The 10 point must system needs to go, but I think this would complicate the judges further.
I don't see why a point system wouldn't work. Rank each round on a 0-5 scale. You can have a competitive round and lose 5-4.
But if you avoid action and just try to survive you don't get points and might lose 3-0.
Essentially, you make a check list for the judges. Did the fighter engage? Did the fighter try to control position? Did the fighter try to score with striking or take-downs? Did you fighter try to finish?
The more things they can say the fighter was doing the more points they would receive.

Debate isn't a problem.

To answer your first question, then I'd score it for R and you'd score it for B. That's fine, there's no problem with that. It's why we have multiple judges.

My system is superior because it takes away the need for judges to measure whether a round falls on the side of 10-9 or 10-8. An example in one of my posts shows this. Ive kinda gone over it ad nauseum at this point.

It feels like you're arguing to be right rather than arguing to educate or learn. Make sure you're empathizing with me and trying to either fill me in on what I'm missing, or otherwise learn what you don't understand. At this point, i think we're on the same page but you just want to be right. This is very common so you don't have to feel bad about doing it. Though I feel you won't admit to doing it anyway...
What I'm saying is that oftentimes choosing which of two rounds to weight more heavily will be no easier than choosing between 10-9 or 10-8. That's all.

So it's basically the same but more complicated. Yeh no thx.

The problem with that is that you will get exactly what a lot of amateur boxing turned out to be: point fighting.

Basically just volume punch without doing real damage.

thats probably true but you could easily adjust that by only counting significant/damaging strikes or giving harder strikes more points. the point fighting also has to do with the fact that in am boxing a match is only 9min with head gear, its unlikely to finish someone unlike in MMA.
the scoring criteria should be damage, they would basically just assign real numbers to it.

Bump, I've totally rewritten the main post to make it a lot clearer

Back