Scarlett Johansson quits transgender role after LGBT backlash

So if your hot and a chick it’s an issue;but Jeffery Tambor a dude who looks like Uncle Fester is cool and wins awards for it? Just let me know when everyone agrees on a visible line that dosent make me a bigot if I say something insensitive here shortly.

They eventually got mad at him.

But yeah, this is probably a little bit of a "beautiful white woman" thing. If it was some fat disgusting chud, like Lena Dunham, they'd likely not raise a stink.

Scar Jo also has backlash baggage from "Ghost In The Shell". She's a target now. Hopefully she wakes the fuck up, and quits placating to these types of fuckwits.

I feel like if the tables were turned and a trans wanted to play a non trans role no one would give a shit

yea. i dont think its unreasonable to use "gender" to describe that continuum of behavior. i dont think its unusual or non-traditional, either.

I agree but I do think it has been intrinsically linked to sex (as in, the behaviors or norms of the male/female sex), although I am not an expert on the matter. There seems to be a push now to disconnect it.

Wait he’s privileged because he started out as a man??
Exactly.
Plus there's a lot more male-to-female transgender than female-to-male, so zir is a minority amongst minorities. Get with the times, we need to measure victimisation in order to know who to listen to.

I agree but I do think it has been intrinsically linked to sex (as in, the behaviors or norms of the male/female sex), although I am not an expert on the matter. There seems to be a push now to disconnect it.

yea.

im unconfortable with the use of the words on the right, and the left.

imo, it is not unreasonable to use "gender" to describe behavior, rather than sex. 0 people would claim that there is not within group variability with men, and with women. so whats wrong with having a word that describes that?

however, using gender synonymously with sex, and then claiming that you can define your own sex, is F'ing silly imo. your body parts define your sex. there are people who have ambiguous body parts, but those people are few and far between.

Now no one will go to see that movie. I hope they are happy.

well, I learned last week that the lesbian community will probably fight those trans-men for her.

Never heard of it so I googled the movie. I am now scarred. Thanks lol.
The mark of a great actor or actress is the ability to lose your mental image of them and be wholly consumed in the character they are portraying. Theron isn't a particularly genius actress but her talent has grown and she's able to make you see beyond her beauty to whole new characters. She's legit talent.

Some on the right would say that's what they did with Sean Penn.

6a796e8d305f83d5f1f01857203dbf19.jpg
I think there's gotta be a screw loose if you choose to spend your career playing make believe. Day after day pretending to be someone else might make some folks lose their center.

There's always been an overlap between sex and gender and apparently the use of gender to sometimes refer to male or female sex goes back to the Renaissance. But largely it was used as a grammatical reference, referring to masculine, feminine, and neuter words in languages, etc.

I read somewhere that its widespread use as a direct synonym for sex dates back 100 years or so, because sex was beginning to be used to refer to the erotic act itself rather than one's male or female biological status. The current use of gender to refer to emphasize psychological behaviors or preferences is from the 1960s.

I feel it is very useful to separate them in current discourse, because while someone may have non-binary sexual preferences, sex itself remains binary.

I'm struggling to think of any mainstream movies that are about being a transexual, but then I'm not much of a film buff.
One cult film that's supposedly popular is the musical "Hedwig" (I haven't seen it, but know of it from the Type O Negative cover track, "Angry Inch"). ...but then the lead actor in that wasn't transexual either (although he's gay, so maybe that gets him a pass?).

Back