Scarlett Johansson quits transgender role after LGBT backlash

Neph

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

US actress Scarlett Johansson has pulled out of a movie in which she was cast to play a transgender character following a backlash from some members of the LGBT community who believed the part should have gone to a transgender actor.

Johansson had agreed to take a role in Rub & Tug as Dante "Tex" Gill — a real-life American crime kingpin who used his massage parlour as a front for prostitution in the 1970s and 1980s.

PHOTO: Dante Gill was born a woman but identified as a man. (AP: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

Gill was born a woman but identified as a man. It was the second time Johansson, an American of European descent, found herself in the middle of a casting controversy after appearing in 2017 film Ghost in the Shell — in a role originally conceived as a Japanese character.

Johansson said she had decided to withdraw from Rub & Tug for ethical reasons.

"Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I've learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting and realise it was insensitive," she said in a statement to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender magazine, Out.

I love the twitter posts, this shit is getting awesome. One giant dumpster fire after another. I can't believe people would be upset at an actor/actress playing a role.

I am not disgusted that they would put pressure on her to quit the movie, I am disgusted that it worked.

What other leading star trans men would they cast for the role?

Straight people are still allowed to play gay characters right? What's the difference?

Smart on her part. She's way too smoking hot to ever be believable as a man.

Have you seen Charlize Theron in Monster? It's not that hard to transform.

US actress Scarlett Johansson has pulled out of a movie in which she was cast to play a transgender character following a backlash from some members of the LGBT community who believed the part should have gone to a transgender actor.

Johansson had agreed to take a role in Rub & Tug as Dante "Tex" Gill — a real-life American crime kingpin who used his massage parlour as a front for prostitution in the 1970s and 1980s.

PHOTO: Dante Gill was born a woman but identified as a man. (AP: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

Gill was born a woman but identified as a man. It was the second time Johansson, an American of European descent, found herself in the middle of a casting controversy after appearing in 2017 film Ghost in the Shell — in a role originally conceived as a Japanese character.

Johansson said she had decided to withdraw from Rub & Tug for ethical reasons.

"Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I've learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting and realise it was insensitive," she said in a statement to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender magazine, Out.

I love the twitter posts, this shit is getting awesome. One giant dumpster fire after another. I can't believe people would be upset at an actor/actress playing a role.

ok Laura, quit stealing black ladies clapping when talking.

Are you supposed to cast actual mentally challenged people to play mentally challenged roles too?

Some on the right would say that's what they did with Sean Penn.

6a796e8d305f83d5f1f01857203dbf19.jpg

I thought all the women that worked in Hollywood were really dudes... at least that's what someone in the Mayberry told me.

We need to find the most physically and mentally disabled minority who is non-binary and they can just tell everyone else how to live their lives and what is ethically right and wrong.

We need to find the most physically and mentally disabled minority who is non-binary and they can just tell everyone else how to live their lives and what is ethically right and wrong.

I heard that those people call themselves Australian.<Moves>

Should have told them to go fuck themselves and knocked that role out of the park.

Smart on her part. She's way too smoking hot to ever be believable as a man.
Unless she went full Theron for her transformation. Maybe she planned some strategic weight gain...

How many transgender actors are there?

Are any of them any good?

Shouldn't it go to the person that best suits the role?

It's not like they're getting a Japanese guy to play someone from Africa or something.

It's ScarJo, you'd think maybe they'd want to be represented by someone who's both beautiful aswell as talented and a feminist to boot.

No one wants to listen to Jaden Smith.

You want your propaganda film to star some trans nobody or a Hollywood megastar? These morans are committed to making the wrong decisions at every turn, they're the IRL George Costanza.

LOL

You have to wonder who the fuck they would accept? Anything less than a transgender actress, is a no go? Can't say there are too many out there to choose from...if any. Do they not understand the very basic definition of "performance art"? It's not a documentary, you morons.

people have lost their fucking minds...

lol at talking about "privilege" when tweeting from their iphones that casting in a Hollywood movie is enough to ruin their day. #thestruggleisreal

<36>

Back