Scariest movies

LostKing

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What is the first picture that comes to mind?
Not limited to a single genre but overall, in general...

I've unfortunately become desensitized to the "scare factor" of horror films in my old age, especially after some atrocious outings like the HALLOWEEN, FRIDAY THE 13TH, and NIGHTMARE remakes.

I think INSIDIOUS has done a pretty good job with scares. The first JEEPERS CREEPERS had EXCELLENT first and second acts as well (especially the "truck chasing" scenes)—highly underrated horror picture.

The underwater scene from Under The Skin where she sucks the life out of that poor fellow will always stick with me as the scariest partfof any movie I've ever seen. Freaked the Hell right outta me.

Event Horizon and the scene where they watch the ships log was easily the most terrified and disturbed I've ever been by a movie. It was like a Florida news article came to life

id have to think about it but watching The Conjuring home alone late at night with all the lights off fucking scared the living shit out of me. It was crazy, that's how you need to watch horror movies man. I used to do this last year, just watch horror movies by myself. Creeped the shit out of me but it was hella fun.

I've been thinking about this movie today and overall with everything it brought to the table, it may not be the scaruest movie but it's definitely one of them.

Demoni aka Demons

The whole atmosphere and plot of the movie is absolutely terrifying. An audience is stuck in a movie theater watching a horror movie about a real curse that also is taking place in he theater as they are watching the film. It turns whoever is affected into a demon. The theater is then locked down and no one can get in or out. The theater is wiped off the map. It's disguised and no one on the outside would be able to find it. So the audience has to fight off the demons and whoever else was involved in the whole set up in a very scary atmosphere.

If you haven't seen it I definitely recommend.

Event Horizon and the scene where they watch the ships log was easily the most terrified and disturbed I've ever been by a movie. It was like a Florida news article came to life

The depiction of hell in that movie is one of the most disturbing and probably the best imo.

No fire and brimstone. Just sheer brutality, darkness and hopelessness.

Lol well I'm watching titanic rn, and idk if it's the movie itself but when I watch the second half of it I get stuck thinking about the actual event, and that's pretty scary I guess. And depressing :( the scene tho with the captain waiting as the water builds up against the glass and has him surrounded then busts through . . . Gives me legit fucking anxiety man o:

Idk. Can't think of any legit scary movies. I just watch movies and if they make me think of scary irl situations then that's the most scare factor I'll get out of them

Oh yeah. And the bird creatures in dark crystal scare me and make me cry. Same with the giant ducks in that movie um, oh yeah, magic in the mirror

The Grudge trilogy (American version) does a great job of creating "creepy" and scary "jump" scenes.

The Japanese version is good too, but it's not over the top or budgeted high like the American version. Not enough sound effects in Japan ver.

The Strangers.

Not super creative, nothing new. Scary as shit.

The Grudge trilogy (American version) does a great job of creating "creepy" and scary "jump" scenes.

The Japanese version is good too, but it's not over the top or budgeted high like the American version. Not enough sound effects in Japan ver.
The Nipponese Ju-on 0-1-2 are the GOATs of horror. Of western horror titles, the Ring remake and the Exorcist stand head and shoulders above the rest.

I actually really liked the first half of Silent Hill until it got a bit silly with
roasting Good Cops alive, on-camera (unnecessary) and Barbed Wire tentacles up the...I mean, what. the fuck.

latest

The building horror atmosphere for the bulk of the movie however, is pretty goddamned solid.

I actually really liked the first half of Silent Hill until it got a bit silly with
roasting Good Cops alive, on-camera (unnecessary) and Barbed Wire tentacles up the...I mean, what. the fuck.

latest

The building horror atmosphere for the bulk of the movie however, is pretty goddamned solid.
It's a good dark fantasy flick in the Hellraiser vein, but not much of horror there.

The Exorcist (1973)
The Shining (1980)
The Omen (1976)

Turn the lights off and watch in a completely dark room, nothing beats original Exorcist or Shining. I was too young to enjoy the the theatrical experience, but I imagine the creepiness is unmatched.

I know it's old but I wrote this with the original Texas chainsaw massacre in mind.. it's the first that comes to mind for me. Something about that movie just makes it very dark.

Critters 2: The Main Course was the first to come to mind.

It always is.

The Shining
Halloween
Paranormal Activity - first 3.

Martyrs....some good jumps but the concept of the movie makes it terrifying
Also Pet Semetary still holds up and still is creepy shit.

Suspiria is also a good one.

The theme alone is scary.

Even though Rabid Grannies is a Horror/Comedy it's pretty damn scary. The setting and the Grannies are creepy.

Back