Scariest movies

The underwater scene from Under The Skin where she sucks the life out of that poor fellow will always stick with me as the scariest partfof any movie I've ever seen. Freaked the Hell right outta me.

Bit of a necro but I was told to watch this after I had seen Annihilation, and that scene is the stuff of nightmares. More so because I pretty easily could've become one of the victims.

High fives for Jaws but I watched it when I was quite young.

The Ring, "I saw her face"

But there are about ten other terrifying scenes, including the terrific ending. A couple of them in the spoiler:

I've unfortunately become desensitized to the "scare factor" of horror films in my old age, especially after some atrocious outings like the HALLOWEEN, FRIDAY THE 13TH, and NIGHTMARE remakes.

I think INSIDIOUS has done a pretty good job with scares. The first JEEPERS CREEPERS had EXCELLENT first and second acts as well (especially the "truck chasing" scenes)—highly underrated horror picture.

I totally agree with you about the truck chasing scene in Jeepers Creepers. And then the vampire sliding the bodies down the culvert below the church. Basically all part of the same scene. But yeah, that was a terrific start to the movie for sure.

id have to think about it but watching The Conjuring home alone late at night with all the lights off fucking scared the living shit out of me. It was crazy, that's how you need to watch horror movies man. I used to do this last year, just watch horror movies by myself. Creeped the shit out of me but it was hella fun.

This is the way I roll too. It's insane.

The Grudge trilogy (American version) does a great job of creating "creepy" and scary "jump" scenes.

The Japanese version is good too, but it's not over the top or budgeted high like the American version. Not enough sound effects in Japan ver.

I feel the same about the Japanese vs American versions. Same goes for Ringu and The Ring. I mean I give the Japanese full marks for the ideas and their creations. But the American versions with the budgets were much scarier. For me The Ring in particular.

Of western horror titles, the Ring remake...stand head and shoulders above the rest.

lmao get the fuck out of here.

I never got the hype being The Ring. That movie was garbage and had the scare factor of a fart in the wind.

(I literally have no idea how to create or make the strikethrough go away wtf)

I know it's old but I wrote this with the original Texas chainsaw massacre in mind.. it's the first that comes to mind for me. Something about that movie just makes it very dark.

Leatherface so makes that movie. The original movies captures so much of the the original Ed Gein house. And then the ending chase through the woods is sooo epic. I liked the remakes and sequels, but the original was the best. I will give props to the found footage scene in the remake. That was a great feature.

Well, the most recent was The Visit. Watched that in the theater, and I don't think I breathed a full breath for the entire movie. My lady scratched the shit out of my chest too. Awesome.

I am SO glad someone else thought The Visit was great. Totally underrated.

These scenes

The chasing under the house in the crawl space was nuts, as was the hidden camera at night. Scary stuff!

First thing that comes to mind is seeing The Ring in theaters. What a mistake that was.

I was a jaded horror vet when I watched it in the theatre - or so I thought. It totally got me. I was pinned to the seat. Also, there were 4 middle age women sitting in front of me and they were losing their minds, genuinely and not in an annoying way. That, for some reason, really helped accentuated my experience (not that the film needed it, just an aside).

It has to be Twin Peaks for me. The movie and the TV series.

I binge watched Twin Peaks and I couldn't quite get it. Found a few parts kind of freaky, but honestly don't remember anything. Maybe I never got through the series and something scary happened later in it. It felt kind of overrated. Didn't see the movie though.

Paranomal activity. Wasn't that scary apart from the ending, but then I tried going to sleep afterwards and that didn't end well.

I have to admit, that one got to me some too. I almost forgot about the original. The scene where she's standing by him while sleeps. And then the very ending. Creepy stuff.

Last edited:
Aside from the classics like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Exorcist I'd like to throw in a little-talked-about film called MUTE WITNESS. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Definitely builds tension well and was a fun flick overall. It doesn't hold up as well as TCM but it's still worth a view.

I saw Bone Tomahawk a few days ago and while not a pure horror film I'd highly recommend it to fans of the genre.

High Tension is a good modern horror/ slasher film even if the 3rd act falls a bit flat.

Great references.

Bone Tomahawk is one of my favorite viewings of the last few years. Terrific movie. A little slow at times, but it's so authentic in it's delivery that it actually feels good that way. The last half hour is top notch. One of the most brutal kills in cinematic history if you asked me.

These right here. Whenever a "creepiest scene" thread pops up, the Salems Lot window scene usually appears early. Scary stuff when I was a kid.

And The Exorcist is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

I'd add Blair Witch Project as well. Found footage has been played out, but when BWP came out it worked and it was frightening imo.

Salem's Lot was the first horror I ever saw as a little kid, it was being replayed on tv and we were at a friends house. The scene I remember was the Lord's prayer scene by the covered gurney:

The Exorcist is about a tie for me with The Ring as GOAT horrors. I mean there's a bunch that are close too, but those are at the top IMO.

Also, I liked Blair Witch, it was scary, but a little disappointing for lack of payoff. I needed a little more.

And High Tension was good for sure. Not like super amazing, but probably on the side of underrated for the fact it's not well known. Good twist.

V/h/s 2 and 3 were pretty good. More so the 2nd

I got some bad aftereffects from those two. For some reason the first clip of I think the second movie (the ghosts in the house, swimming pool one - that movie) really got to me. Also, waching the vhs tapes in that house and what was going on behind. I can't remember which movie was which, but there was a lot of really disturbing stuff in those.

Just finished it. I loved the premise, some parts had me pretty creeped out. I give it 7/10. Can't believe I haven't seen it before. The ship log part was creepy for sure.

It's one of those that was scarier when it first came out. Doesn't hold up super well, so I can understand the slight downgrade. I know someone who walked out of the theatre on that one.

What do you guys think of The Exorcism of Emily Rose? I seen it in the theatres when I was younger and I remember it being quite scary. I think I might try to watch it again tonight.

It has a little bit of a B movie vibe to it but was pretty good. It wasn't as scary as others in the genre, but, as it was supposedly loosely based on a real story it had it's moments. I actually had some aftereffects from that one too.

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of horror movies in my day and most of the shock genre above it (salo,a serbian film ect ect) not much gets me anymore but for what ever reason sinister disturbed the hell out of me the most out of any film in recent times.

I literally jumped out of my seat with this scene.

Just to add two more really impactful horror moments for me. Hadn't watched horror for many years, then in 11th grade watched Pet Sematary with a friend in the 12th grade. He had this old ass house with a basement entertainment room like something out of Nightmare on Elm Street. We got to this scene in the movie, and shut it off,\ basically when he returned in the night:

Also, the opening scene in Scream rocked my world:

I have seen a lot of horror movies in my day and most of the shock genre above it (salo,a serbian film ect ect) not much gets me anymore but for what ever reason sinister disturbed the hell out of me the most out of any film in recent times.

I literally jumped out of my seat with this scene.

Indeed that was on of the more disturbing, better horrors of recent years.

I scared more by films based around reality more than fantasy..

Like Eden Lake

Back