Ryron Gracie vs Andre Galvao superfight

They are doing the fight because they think it is in their best interests. But that doesn't necessarily mean winning.

Andre is going to have to work to get the win. He is not going to tap him out in 30 seconds or something like that. It will take an effort and probably take a little while. Ryron will probably "survive" for some time.

The tricky part is that "surviving" for 10-15 minutes does not mean the fight is close. However, the Gracie camp will spin it that way. The fact that it will take an effort from Andre to win is going to be spun as a victory.

Ryron is never going to threaten Andre in the least. He will just defend and stall the whole time. That is his strategy. It will work for a little while, but eventually Andre will find a hole and get the sub.

A lot of people will take that as evidence of a close match. The rest of us will know better and understand that it is not a close match when no offense or threat is mounted, no matter how long it takes to be finally broken down.

Andre is going to win a match like this 99 out of 100 times. It may take him 10-15 minutes each time, but he is still going to win it. The Gracie spin strategy will be to make it seem like it was a close match and Ryron would have a roughly equal chance of winning a rematch.

If Ryron submits Andre, it would dramatically change my entire view on BJJ. But I don't see that happening. If I'm wrong, I will eat my words.

This is pretty much how I see things playing out as well, except I think the Gracie camp is banking on Ryron surviving the whole 20 minutes, then will spin it as a victory for their side. Ryron fought and beat Cassio back around '04 fresh after Cassio's '03 win at the worlds. They are banking that a more practiced Ryron can survive against Galvao. I don't ever recall hearing that Ryron was subbed in competition (of course he hardly ever competes), so that's in their mind too.

Personally I think they are under estimating Galvao, and if Ryron plays too defensive Galvao will showboat, surf his back, etc...

Looks like some people actually think Ryron cares about winning and losing..

"bank" on this, "bank" on that.. as if Ryron and Rener were plotting some grand conspiracy! lol :icon_lol:

Cobrinha and rafa are by far my favorite fighters, but I disagree about rafa making cobrinha silly at the worlds. Pan am's ya, but not the worlds.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. The guy who said a few years ago "50/50 is a virus and we have to eradicate it" was absolutely desperate to lock up the 50/50 and stalled like crazy trying to win that match.

He fought as absolutely "unCobrinha"-like as he ever has. I was really disappointed but it shows how much better Rafa is IMO. Its also because Rafa is the next generation and Cobrinha is past his peak (and I am a bigger Cobrinha fan than I am Rafa, I just have an insane amount of respect for Rafa).

You are forgetting about Tanquinho, who beat Rafa as well in 2011.. but overall I agree with you, Rafa should be the favourite by veery far. Plus, if it's a submission only match would be even more difficult to happen, I don't even remember somebody passing his guard at black belt.. is there somewhere a prove he's ever being submitted in competition even at blue or purple level?

Seeing him lose against Glover would be an incredible upset.

That's right! I knew I forgot someone.

I totally agree with you otherwise.

I love glovers style and he is the man but he for sure 1000% is getting truly raped by Rafa via whatever he wants, if you think he has a chance you are a fool!!!

Cool. When did I say Jeff would beat Mendes? And Rodolfo isn't the same guy in No Gi. Calm down.

Ok. This isn't ADCC or Mundials. They haven't grappled before. Conbrinha has nothing to do with it as he isn't grappling.

Do you? Because you seem to have forgot one person who's beating Mendes...last name Mendes.

Nobody said same level. You just made a original that I find not true. Glover has no chance at all in a Gi. In No Gi he has a chance, small, but a chance none the less. It's ridiculous to believe otherwise.

Yeah I knew I was forgetting someone but couldn't place it.

In any case, I bring up Cobrinha because he has been the most dominant featherweight in the world since 2005 or so. And Rafa beat him.

Glover was at the ADCC when Rafa won, and didn't even medal - actually, he lost in the quarter finals. Then he got a chance to advance because leo and someone (baret) decided not to fight for 3rd, so he and ryan hall fought IIRC. He lost to ryan.

What I want to know is what has Jeff Glover done exactly to give people the impression that he has more than a lucky shot at beating Rafa?

yep. i think he would im not sayinf indefinitely.
im just saying you dont know forsure that Rafa would demolish Glover

Actually I do. 100%.

I don't think you guys realize how good Rafa is. Glover isn't even a top 10 featherweight IMO, but for some reason people are discussing him like he's the second coming.

I like him a lot, and I love watching him compete because he is always having fun. But I can't let that opinion get in the way of facts.

Whatever. I doubt this event will even take place, though I would absolutely love it if it does.

Yeah I knew I was forgetting someone but couldn't place it.

In any case, I bring up Cobrinha because he has been the most dominant featherweight in the world since 2005 or so. And Rafa beat him.

Glover was at the ADCC when Rafa won, and didn't even medal - actually, he lost in the quarter finals. Then he got a chance to advance because leo and someone (baret) decided not to fight for 3rd, so he and ryan hall fought IIRC. He lost to ryan.

What I want to know is what has Jeff Glover done exactly to give people the impression that he has more than a lucky shot at beating Rafa?

He got third last ADCC tapping out Robson Moura :wink:

Lost to Cobrinha.

He got third last ADCC tapping out Robson Moura :wink:

Lost to Cobrinha.

Lol my memory is really failing me today. I remember watching him there.

He looked pretty good, but it doesn't change my opinion. He's not even close to Rafa's level. Rafa wins the match 9/10 times, maybe more.

Lol my memory is really failing me today. I remember watching him there.

He looked pretty good, but it doesn't change my opinion. He's not even close to Rafa's level. Rafa wins the match 9/10 times, maybe more.

so 11/10 times?

i think you're creating an artificial argument about jeff. i don't see anyone really ranking him above raf 'cultist' mendes.

why was baret asked in '09 to fight for the bronze? didn't baret get bounced in the first round?

so 11/10 times?

i think you're creating an artificial argument about jeff. i don't see anyone really ranking him above raf 'cultist' mendes.

why was baret asked in '09 to fight for the bronze? didn't baret get bounced in the first round?

More than 9/10 could be, for example, 19/20. or 29/30. or 37/40. etc, etc.

I don't know what this whole 'cultist' thing is - because of the white gym?

lol.

are people seriously arguing that Glover is going to be competitive against Rafa? he's going to get blitzed. I hope it's nogi, it would be slightly more competitive and probably more entertaining, jeff has as good of a chance in gi as a white belt would against Rafa

are people seriously arguing that Glover is going to be competitive against Rafa? he's going to get blitzed. I hope it's nogi, it would be slightly more competitive and probably more entertaining, jeff has as good of a chance in gi as a white belt would against Rafa

I talked with my coach about this last night. I told him that I thought Mendes would destroy Glover. He said that Jeff is the kind of guy who can never count out. After thinking about his insight...

I still think Mendes will destroy Glover! :)

People overestimate Glover (and generally, Americas overestimate all American competitors) and people also don't realize how far ahead of everyone else Rafa is.

Looks like some people actually think Ryron cares about winning and losing..

"bank" on this, "bank" on that.. as if Ryron and Rener were plotting some grand conspiracy! lol :icon_lol:

Don't kid yourself. Ryron is stepping up to fight for a purpose. Balto and I agree that that purpose probably isn't "winning", so we are speculating on what that purpose is. Don't be nieve and take what he said about winning the wrong way. He has a purpose for stepping up, he's testing himself, or proving something to the world. Either way, I doubt he'd step up if he thought he was going thought be blown out of the water. Ryron wasn't preaching complete apathy to the outcome of a match, only that losing means very little while you always gain from the experience, win or lose.

Anyway, chill out and let the fans talk. We're hyping his match.

As a fan I am fine with the internet hyping this match. Ryron has competed before and done well from my understanding. But I have always heard his jiu jitsu is amazing or often the best there is. Javier Vasquez says he thinks ryron is the best grappler he has ever gone up against.

From gracie haters I have heard the opposite. He is not that good which is why he doesnt compete anymore.

I personally think he is elite level jiu jitsu. But I have always wondered what will happen if ever faced a Andre Galvao or a Xande or Marcelo Garcia. To face the best and test your skills. The rules have always been a sore spot for Ryron. But now the rules are more favorable to him.

Whether he wins or loses if he puts on a great performance I do think should get much respect for taking this fight and performing well. If he loses to Galvao I wont think Ryon is terrible because Andre is amazing at jiu jitsu.

I always respected the guy who goes out to compete. And I am looking forward to this match.

People overestimate Glover (and generally, Americas overestimate all American competitors) and people also don't realize how far ahead of everyone else Rafa is.

I've rolled w/ him twice, yeah he is beyone good.

Back