Ryron Gracie vs Andre Galvao superfight

That's absolutely crazy. What the hell kind of competition is that?

Marc Laimon just got a lot of respect in my book for doing that match.

Read my edit, I got the coin flip rule pretty wrong. There was wrestling, the coin flip occurred if they got stuck in guard.

Since ryrons last fight was loosing to laimon in a rule set that his daddy came up with let's look t that fight

Since ryrons last fight was loosing to laimon in a rule set that his daddy came up with let's look t that fight

That wasn't his last match. He had two matches at Gracie Worlds this year. The video for both is on youtube, someone already posted the last half of one of those matches on here.

Galvao FTW! Buchecha and Roger i have no idea..

The loud guy with the deep voice talking next to the cameraman is Laimon.

^^^Why post that? Because Laimon was coaching the other dude and had a legitimate disagreement with the ref on points? I just don't see how that is indicative of anything people didn't already know about Laimon, that he is vocal and gives his opinion loudly at tournaments.

Laimon was not Rick's coach.

And? Laimon coaches lots of guys that aren't his. I've seen dozens of matches where he saw a guy doing something he liked or without a coach that he would just get in there and start coaching. The dude genuinely loves coaching. Did Rick yell at him afterwards for fighting for Rick's points and coaching?

Why are you so defensive and mad?

You think this video is about Laimon?

The video is supposed to be about Ryron vs Rick.

People in this thread who are interested in Ryron vs Galvao, but are maybe not too familiar with Ryron's game (skills and style), might enjoy the video.

But.. because Laimon is so loud, he ends up stealing the spot-light of the video clip. Just read the comments on the youtube page of the video. The focus of the clip should be on the mat and the skills of Ryron and Rick, not a "dude who genuinely loves coaching" (who is also a well known heckling Gracie-hater).

Lol I ain't mad homie, honestly I dont like talking about Marc on the internet that much and wish I hadn't.

As for it not being about a jab at Marc, whatever man. You didn't say anything about Rick or Ryrons grappling in the original post or up till now. I interpreted it as I did and I have already white knighted enough for one thread.

That Laimon vs Ryron match was crazy. Lovato Jr lived with Marc for a few months to train with him and get him ready for that fight, he has told me some pretty funny stories about Marc and the time they spent together.

I think Ryron is getting ultra beat reguardless of the rules.

That's absolutely crazy. What the hell kind of competition is that?

Marc Laimon just got a lot of respect in my book for doing that match.

yep Rorion was switching rules basically till the night before the match. For all that was said about the fight these are some things that I remember:
Ryron never passed laimon's guard nor could he keep him down,
Ryron got his guard passed.

What were the special rules, a 20 minute match? Laimon beat Ryron 7-2 on points and never came close to a submission, he was trying to win on points. Laimon was always considered to be a great grappler, that's why everyone knows who he is. Of course the game was different back when he was competing and has evolved since then. Andre probably will beat Ryron on points, for those of you who will be scoring points during the match.

never knew that in Gracie jiu jitsu, that getting your guard passed and being dominated positionally was a good thing. Also Laimon was considered a "great grappler"? Compared to who? You? Me? A person who places in ADCC? A person that wins ADCC? Fact is this, marc laimon has never won or never placed in the two competitions that really matter to the BJJ/submission grappling world: ADCC and the mundials. He won in a ruleset that Ryron's people came up with.

Yea, I guess your right, Laimon never placed in the ADCC or the worlds. I wonder why everyone know his name? How many guys have played in the NFL and never won a championship? If you make it to the NFL are you a great football player? Is Laimon a great grappler compared to you and me, definately. Is he a great grappler in general, probably so. I think you can be a great grappler and not be the champion.

Yea, I guess your right, Laimon never placed in the ADCC or the worlds. I wonder why everyone know his name? How many guys have played in the NFL and never won a championship? If you make it to the NFL are you a great football player? Is Laimon a great grappler compared to you and me, definately. Is he a great grappler in general, probably so. I think you can be a great grappler and not be the champion.

alot of people know his name because he used to be a controversial guy that rubbed people the wrong way. If you make it in to the NFL are you a great football player? Again compared to who? But we are talking Laimon in a conversation where it's Ryron vs Andre. And NO Laimon isn't anywhere Andre's lvl. Compare Laimon to Andre because that's the level we are taking about here.

So I guess in your book there is only one great grappler in the world and his name is Andre. That makes perfect sense. If you don't think someone who played in the NFL is a great football player then you are mistaken. Laimon was a great grappler, Andre will go down as one of the greatest grapplers of his time. Think of it like this; great, greater, greatest.

Again things are in perspective but of course you knew that,"great player" is not a term reserved for average nfl guys by other nfl players, sportscasters, or even the fans.

Ok, I didn't know who I was talking to. Why didn't you just tell me you were one of the great grapplers in the world and amongst you and the other greats Laimon isn't considered as great.

So I guess Laimon isn't a great elite grappler. He was just good enough to be elite, you know, better than the large majority of grapples out there. Kind of like one of those guys who are good enough to play in the NFL. I wonder what percentage of college football players make it to the NFL? What percentage of high school players are good enough to play in college?

I guess it's just a matter of perspective. You are one of those guys who watch it and think those guys suck. While I watch and think what great players they are to be able to play at that level.

You watch Laimon grapple and think, "Andre would kill that guy". When in reality Laimon would destroy you and everyone else you train with. He has achieved more in grappling than you would ever hope to achieve. And I'm not even a fan of Laimon's.

The loud guy with the deep voice talking next to the cameraman is Laimon.

Cool, I've never seen that match before.

Good call or bad call, be quiet and let the ref do his/her job. Acting like that doesn't help the situation and is distracting for the ref. (even though Marc was right. That shouldn't have counted as a sweep. It was a reversal).

Cool, I've never seen that match before.

Good call or bad call, be quiet and let the ref do his/her job. Acting like that doesn't help the situation and is distracting for the ref. (even though Marc was right. That shouldn't have counted as a sweep. It was a reversal).

I think it is a tough call.

If (can't see) Ryron had the Kimura control while still in guard and then goes to open his guard to initiate the sweep, it can still count as two.

Hard to tell, but not a definitive no-sweep.

Back