"Rural Republicans voting against their own interests"

It's such a dishonest phrase lol.
What they actually mean is "voting against my ideology" not "their interest".
They equally hate ""rich"" people or business owners who vote for tax cuts, let alone those who lobby for pro-business policies,even though they obviously act in their own interests.
The least common denominator clearly is that both groups vote against Democrats' ideology.

Actually, lots of liberals are wealthy. Remember that "Hollywood elite" everybody keeps complaining about? They are rich. Also, a shocking number of internet start-ups are lead by "liberals." Not sure that they really hate rich people when they are trying really hard to become rich people. Or can we just agree that generalizing people and putting them into categories is a bad idea?

What are you talking about?

I'm serious, you should focus your attention on your own country. It's not an insult, it's the truth. You need your own Donald Trump to come stand up to corruption.

Remind us again how voting for the party of big government, who have proven to be failures and liars, and war mongers, helps me be more free?

I just want to keep more of my own money and be told what I can do or say less. Democrats sure aren't supporting those issues. And don't even get me started on their foreign policy, military, etc stances.

Donald Trump is fighting against corruption? give me a break, we need solid institutions not reality show TV stars.

Also its rich to accuse democrats of warmongering, i mean you are still fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq cost ended up being nearly 2 trillion with all the liabilities.

Party of small government indeed, appointing drug zealot and civil forfeiture supporter Sessions in government.

And Gorsuch the freedom constitutionalist seems to be quite comfy with the notion of government taking your stuff and forcing the burden of proof on you.

http://assetforfeiturelaw.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Gorsuch-Cases.pdf

I'm a Christian, conservative, middle class, and a pro-life gun owner. Yes, I live in rural America! I wonder how liberals think I should vote considering this.
You should have voted for a conservative Christian and yet I bet you shill for Trump.

tumblr_n92wdtdFAK1r7hjkqo7_500.gif

Donald Trump is fighting against corruption? give me a break, we need solid institutions not reality show TV stars.

Also its rich to accuse democrats of warmongering, i mean you are still fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq cost ended up being nearly 2 trillion with all the liabilities.

Party of small government indeed, appointing drug zealot and civil forfeiture supporter Sessions in government.

And Gorsuch the freedom constitutionalist seems to be quite comfy with the notion of government taking your stuff and forcing the burden of proof on you.

http://assetforfeiturelaw.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Gorsuch-Cases.pdf

Honestly, isn't half of the stuff you're complaining about beyond a single mans control?

Did anybody think Trump was going to end the American war machine? No, hell the only time CNN wasn't criticizing Trump was when they were salavating over him bombing Syria. Media loves war.

Did anyone think Washington was magically gonna become not a shithole? No

However, Trump getting elected opens the door for candidates of the future.

If poor Murkans are happy bending over and lubing up for rich mountebanks in suits, more power to them.

They seem content to watch their country slide into the status of a third-world banana republic because they think if they let let rich people steal from them theyll be treated better in Heaven or something.
Rich people like Pelosi, Obama, Howard Dean. Yeah, that is a problem.

Honestly, isn't half of the stuff you're complaining about beyond a single mans control?

Did anybody think Trump was going to end the American war machine? No, hell the only time CNN wasn't criticizing Trump was when they were salavating over him bombing Syria. Media loves war.

Did anyone think Washington was magically gonna become not a shithole? No

However, Trump getting elected opens the door for candidates of the future.

Trump being elected is more like the two party system crashing down in flames.

Until there is a major political reformation in Washington i dont see anything happening, Trump just saw the opportunity and its going to make bank with the presidency.

Rich people like Pelosi, Obama, Howard Dean. Yeah, that is a problem.

Yeah definitely not Paul Ryan and Ted Cruz who want to take healthcare away from people because not having healthcare = ¨freedom¨

{<doc}

The idea that they're voting against their own interests makes the mistake of simply dropping urban priorities into a rural environment and making the assumption that they all wish they could live in the city, but just aren't good enough.

That may be true in destitute third-world nations where rural living means starvation, but it hasn't been true in the US for decades since the 'flight' phenomenon began, and especially untrue in the internet age. In developed countries you see more of a pattern where people move into the city out of financial desperation and if they succeed, they leave again.

Childless, lifelong-urbanites tend to prioritize novel experiences, symbolic wealth and petty social status. They are obsessed with economics because they live in a hierarchical environment where quite frankly there is little physical space or legal wiggle room to do anything other than make and spend money. They seem confused that anyone would be unwilling to sacrifice anything in the name of economic equality.

Families living in rural exodus tend to be more interested in preserving their unique lifestyle/cultural affiliation, owning long-term assets, and the pursuit of hobbies or simple solitude (in place of social status).

You're better off admitting the two groups (tend to) have completely different interests rather than projecting your own onto the one you don't belong to.

Last edited:
Not every liberal thinks that. I'm from Maryland and college educated, so most people I know are liberal. Nobody I know thinks rural people are dumb. We need to stop generalizing everybody based on extreme examples from TV and internet. There's far too much generalizing in politics and it just makes everyone hate each other.

How the hell did we get to the point where 100% of people are put in two brainless categories of smug liberals and dumb racist conservatives? We are smarter than that.

Well, I grew up in Southern MD and I can tell you a lot of them are dumb. Shit, my highschool was 1/3 hick, 1/3 ghetto, and 1/3 normal with a few preppies. This was in the early 2000s, I cant imagine how bad it is now.

Well, I grew up in Southern MD and I can tell you a lot of them are dumb. Shit, my highschool was 1/3 hick, 1/3 ghetto, and 1/3 normal with a few preppies. This was in the early 2000s, I cant imagine how bad it is now.

I grew up in Maryland also and Southern Maryland hasn't gotten any better. I'm back 2-3x a year. But all of Md. is like that the further you get from D.C.

The simple reality is that rural republicans are voting against their own interests. Not because they should be voting for Democrats but because they're voting for the very policies that are destroying rural communities and then turn around and beg the government to protect their communities from those self-same policies.

It's not liberal policies that drove manufacturing out of the country - it's broadening capitalism and that was a GOP platform. It's not liberals who are costing them jobs against immigrants. It's aggressive corporate labor selection policies. Policies that the GOP has endorsed for decades.

They complain about 3rd world wages but then vote for the party that is interested in breaking the unions.

They complain about retirement but it's the GOP that supported the war on outsourcing, in part to break the need for pensions.

They vote for people who say they want to reduce entitlements and then complain that they shouldn't lose their social security.

None of that requires that they vote for Democrats, only that they stop voting for Republicans who clearly do not have their best interest in mind.

Me, personally? I come from immigrants who used the college system and the employment system to land good jobs for themselves until they could branch out on their own. I like the easy movement of capital between countries because my wife is international and we have assets in 2 countries. I don't care about protecting manufacturing or pensions or any of that because I want cheaper products so my dollar goes further. I'm not worried about Social Security or pensions or any of that because I won't need it. Worst case scenario, I move out of the country at 65 and live like a king elsewhere. But for people who have nothing in common with me economically, I don't get it. They vote GOP and then start begging for type of government protections that are the very reason I don't vote Democrat in the first place.

You should have voted for a conservative Christian and yet I bet you shill for Trump.
I got news for you, there were only 2 choices last election. She lost....Get over it!

Rural conservatives have been voting Democrat since the time of the civil war till the early 90's. Most of them are economicaly liberal, but they will not vote for someone who's socially liberal.

The Democratic Party has left the conservative democrats to pursue a far-left liberal agenda, thats why they jumped to the Republican Party

Last edited:
Liberals keep thinking that rural conservatives are voting against their interest because liberals think having a well paying job, plenty of affordable healthcare, excellent education, and robust infrastructure is what interest rural folk.

Rural conservatives care about only ONE interest and thats sticking it to liberals. period. If they could burn down their own house just to make a liberal sad, they'd do it and call it a victory. So long as you look at it from the standpoint of 'does this piss off liberals', rurals will trip over themselves to vote in favor of it. Stigginit!

Liberals keep thinking that rural conservatives are voting against their interest because liberals think having a well paying job, plenty of affordable healthcare, excellent education, and robust infrastructure is what interest rural folk.

1. Rural conservatives care about only ONE interest and thats sticking it to liberals. period. If they could burn down their own house just to make a liberal sad, they'd do it and call it a victory. So long as you look at it from the standpoint of 'does this piss off liberals', rurals will trip over themselves to vote in favor of it. Stigginit!
{<redford}

Yup. A bunch of useful idiots.

Last edited:
Not bragging at all, you guys feel the need to attack me personally, just setting you straight.

On a scale of one to ten, how rustled are you that you feel you need to try to keep justifying your made up middle class existence to some dude on the internet?

Rural conservatives care about only ONE interest and thats sticking it to liberals. period. If they could burn down their own house just to make a liberal sad, they'd do it and call it a victory. So long as you look at it from the standpoint of 'does this piss off liberals', rurals will trip over themselves to vote in favor of it. Stigginit!

Yeah, dude, that's like totally it and stuff....

On a scale of one to ten, how rustled are you that you feel you need to try to keep justifying your made up middle class existence to some dude on the internet?

I think it's pretty entertaining that you think I'm faking it.

Back