"Rural Republicans voting against their own interests"

lilelvis

Church of the Inner Tube
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing this opinion popping up from the liberal left. That poor, rural Americans that vote conservative are voting against their own interests because they are stupid and/or uneducated.
It seems like the concept of integrity doesn't really compute with democrats and maybe, just maybe, people with conservative views who don't believe in stealing from their neighbor through the force of the gubment are willing to put those beliefs ahead of their snap benefits at the voting booth.

Just sayn'

I'm a Christian, conservative, middle class, and a pro-life gun owner. Yes, I live in rural America! I wonder how liberals think I should vote considering this.

Yeah, being a worthless parasite is something a lot of honest hard working people try and avoid. Self respect, etc.
The left doesn't seem to get this.

I keep seeing this opinion popping up from the liberal left. That poor, rural Americans that vote conservative are voting against their own interests because they are stupid and/or uneducated.
It seems like the concept of integrity doesn't really compute with democrats and maybe, just maybe, people with conservative views who don't believe in stealing from their neighbor through the force of the gubment are willing to put those beliefs ahead of their snap benefits at the voting booth.

Just sayn'

It's because none of those Liberals actually know any of those people, or have even been to rural America and just assume that if you choose to run a farm, the same exact farm that has been in your family for 135 years, it's because you're stupid and uneducated. They're projecting their own insecurities off onto other people so they can look down on and despise anyone who doesn't think just like them.

Last edited:
Not every liberal thinks that. I'm from Maryland and college educated, so most people I know are liberal. Nobody I know thinks rural people are dumb. We need to stop generalizing everybody based on extreme examples from TV and internet. There's far too much generalizing in politics and it just makes everyone hate each other.

How the hell did we get to the point where 100% of people are put in two brainless categories of smug liberals and dumb racist conservatives? We are smarter than that.

Not every liberal thinks that. I'm from Maryland and college educated, so most people I know are liberal. Nobody I know thinks rural people are dumb. We need to stop generalizing everybody based on extreme examples from TV and internet. There's far too much generalizing in politics and it just makes everyone hate each other.

Would you agree that the party platform this last election cycle was just that?

It's such a dishonest phrase lol.
What they actually mean is "voting against my ideology" not "their interest".
They equally hate ""rich"" people or business owners who vote for tax cuts, let alone those who lobby for pro-business policies,even though they obviously act in their own interests.
The least common denominator clearly is that both groups vote against Democrats' ideology.

Since conservatives don't all think like a monolithic bloc, I don't know why anyone expects liberals to do so or understand why anyone thinks that since its so clearly not true.

But anything to jam everyone into a category box, it helps not to have to think very much

Just sayn'
Where? A source would be nice.

Since conservatives don't all think like a monolithic bloc, I don't know why anyone expects liberals to do so or understand why anyone thinks that since its so clearly not true.

But anything to jam everyone into a category box, it helps not to have to think very much
Is the discussion really different if he asked "Some liberals say X, so what do you think about X?"
Actually, he wrote "I keep seeing this opinion popping up from the liberal left."
It's definitely an opinion which keeps popping up, no matter if all liberals or leftists think like that (they don't).

It's repeated again and again...
Not by me.

Would you agree that the party platform this last election cycle was just that?

Both parties played heavily into stereotypes this election, since they are both sleazy people. We should be too smart for that, as a society.

Because the only "Liberal" voices allowed on TV, or essentially to succeed in Public Office come from the Monolithic Left Wing thinking that comes from the two coasts that actually has the audacity to suggest that Bill Maher is a right wing Fascist.

Both parties played heavily into stereotypes this election, since they are both sleazy people. We should be too smart for that, as a society.
If this election proved anything, it's that we get the leadership we deserve because it's what we wanted.

I don't disagree with that. Identity Politics from both parties is killing this country.

Because the only "Liberal" voices allowed on TV, or essentially to succeed in Public Office come from the Monolithic Left Wing thinking that comes from the two coasts that actually has the audacity to suggest that Bill Maher is a right wing Fascist.
I'm gonna start my own party called the Reasonable Middle.
We'll lose every attempt

Where? A source would be nice.

Are you serious? This pops up in every second thread. Use the search function
At this point I pretty much hope it does. Time for us to stop giving a shit about a bunch of dumbshits who constantly vote against their own interests.
I think the whole venom is spewed because said people love to vote against their self-interest for some reason.

Like repealing Obamacare is going to work wonders for such high risk population. Another reason i would presume is drug abuse among them.

I think latinos have the advantage that they tend to concentrate in wealthy states that demand labor from them and thus benefit from increased welfare safety net.

That's cause blue collar lower middle class Republicans consistently vote against their own best interest

For some bizarre reason

I'm with you.
Right.
We need to find a popular, empty headed celebrity that Twitters stupid shit 24/7.
First priority. Think we can turn the current POTUS? He changes parties and positions so often we might have him by the end of the week.

Back