Rumor: Demian Maia vs. Jorge Masvidal - Main Event at UFC Nashville, April 22nd

fuck ths shit, I knew demian had to take another fight, becasue GSP or whoever actually, dana will not give maia his shot.

I was hoping to be nick or robbie though, mas does not do much for demian, even if he subs in within a minute, it wont mean jack shit, hell have to sit around and see other fighters leapfrog him.

fuck this shit.
This!

If Maia were to lose this one, it would be pretty devastating.

<{boneytears}>
As messed up as this sounds I think the UFC would prefer it.
He and Jacare are in the "avoid making the title shot and let's hope he loses eventually so we will have an excuse " UFC camp

Great fight.

Shame Maia is even being considered for it though. He should be fighting for the belt.

I kept saying, as good and dominant as he's been, they are NOT giving an almost 40yr old BJJ artist who usually wins via decision, a title shot. Maia's awesome, but the UFC brass do not want him near the title - not that I think he'd beat Woodley, GSP anyway (Thompson, probably).

Decent fight, but I wanted Maia/GSP. Or Lawler.

Masvidal is a flat out awesome grappler. His wrestling and ground skills are very slick and he's a season veteran.

Maia is unlikely to put him away in the first round, although its entirely possible he dominates on the ground in round 1. Midway through round 2 Maia is going to gas and Masvidal will take him out.

Rory Macdonald got in some trouble on the ground, waded through the storm, then beat the brakes off Maia. I think this will go in similar fashion.

It's not so clear-cut. He gassed in one round against Rory, but it took him four to be completely done against LaFlare. We shall see, I don't think this aspect is easily predictable except for the notion that at some point over five rounds he'll gas if the fight lasts that long.
It's also worth mentioning that while Masvidal has undoubtedly better cardio than Maia's, he also faded a little bit against Bendo in a five rounder and against Larkin too. This will not be a fight where he'll be able to sit back and pick his shots without any sense of urgency, Maia will pressure him non stop. It's interesting to see how his stamina will hold up if he has to work a lot from the bottom.

It's not so clear-cut. He gassed in one round against Rory, but it took him four to be completely done against LaFlare. We shall see, I don't think this aspect is easily predictable except for the notion that at some point over five rounds he'll gas if the fight lasts that long.
It's also worth mentioning that while Masvidal has undoubtedly better cardio than Maia's, he also faded a little bit against Bendo in a five rounder and against Larkin too. This will not be a fight where he'll be able to sit back and pick his shots without any sense of urgency, Maia will pressure him non stop. It's interesting to see how his stamina will hold up if he has to work a lot from the bottom.

Ryan LaFlare was obviously green in comparison to Rory and Masvidal, that was his first time fighting at that level and it showed. He's also a wrestler who has exclusively won decisions in the UFC, which makes Maia a horrific matchup for him.

'Faded a little against Bendo in a 5 rounder' is definitely a compliment.

Masvidal is underrated on the ground and he pops up like a spring, take a look at his career and the number or excellent MMA adapted grapplers hes fought - we've never seen him get out wrestled.

No doubt Maia will put him in a world of trouble in the first round if he gets him down, but that is all Maia has at 170lbs. He makes an enormous cut and against an elite opponent, like Rory, he couldn't keep the pace up.

Super fun fight, I'm taking Masvidal via late stoppage. Obviously no surprise if Maia taps him in the first.

Well to be fair that's what he's been doing since the Condit fight. Pretty sure he turned down a fight with Lawler so he could wait.

Yea I think he was waiting but realizes at this point it will be to long in between fights.

Welterweight title fight is a week away and now Maia takes a fight?
He's just trying to assure he's next in line or he feels that with GSP return he is going to have to take a back seat again so wants to stay active .
Personally i think he's getting Screwed again , I hope he chokes Masvidal out of the WW division .

Masvidal doesn't give af, would be cool if he won and got a title shot. He's more of what the UFC wants, a heel persona accompanied with a stand up game and trash talk to go along with it.. Not a middle aged jiu jitsu guy that lays on people the entire fight. Would be interesting to see Masvidal vs. Tyrone in the future.

Masvidal has excellent TDD and cardio, to go with the excellent standup. His grappling is excellent too, but that doesn't really mean shit when you find yourself on your back against Demian Maia. This is a risky fight for Demian to be sure, but so was Condit and we saw what happened there. I really just wish he was fighting Woodley for the belt. He earned the shot a LONG time ago.

Very cool fight, though.

Masvidal doesn't give af, would be cool if he won and got a title shot. He's more of what the UFC wants, a heel persona accompanied with a stand up game and trash talk to go along with it.. Not a middle aged jiu jitsu guy that lays on people the entire fight. Would be interesting to see Masvidal vs. Tyrone in the future.

Well, you're correct that he does lay on people for the entire duration of the fight; it's all a question of how long said fight lasts though, isn't it?

Lol at the fucking Maia and Jacare bjj nerds. Jacare lost a fight barely over a year ago and Maia has put on some of the worst performances in big fights in UFC history.

BTW Masvidals going to box him up and spit him out and Twood would fucking curb stomp him. Beating fringe contenders doesn't make you a real threat

Back