Rumor:Sakuraba vs Rickson Gracie in the works

Who's more of a bum: Sakuraba or Gomi?

giphy.gif

Carlson Gracie called him chicken for not risking himself in a fight. He predicted that Rickson will never fight Kerr knowing heavy weight wrestler would be too much for his Jiu-Jitsu to handle. (Rickson kicked the proposal to fight Kerr indeed, but he publicly said he would accept Kerr's challenge in his own dojo with no time limit and no gloves to wear.)

Rickson stopped visiting to train at Carlson's Dojo in cabana after his student, Carlos Rosato tapped him out with variations of leglocks. Rickson hates tapout of his own and he could not face humiliation resulting from "ow ow ow my knee!!! let it go amigo". He thinks tapout means death in his life or JiuJitsu career. Highly delusional.

Takada was so frustrated with Rickson's girly philosophy that in their 2nd fight, he intentionally gave his arm to Rickson and tapped out before feeling pain. Takada taught him a lesson in the Japanese way. In 2001, Uno debuted in UFC and here's what he had to say "I don't care if I win or lose. I'm here to express myself."

Where did you hear this?

I never thought much of Takada especially after that worked fight with Coleman. He was one of the "Untouchables" in Pride... I think even Cro Cop took it easy on him when he could have hospitalised him.... but I have to confess that I didn't see much of his wrestling before the Pride years so I might be a bit biased.

I remember seeing Takada wearing that nappy while beating the drums at the beginning of each Pride tournament & thinking wtf?

*facepalm*

royce used special rules in his fight with tokoro and the rematch with yoshida that definitely had a time limit and was exactly as i stated. hence, the 2 draws.

Yeah...so, those fights had a time limit...

Long winded and not to the point, but basically Rickson is a mythological creature that the BJJ community props up without much accomplishments.

The fact that he did not step up against Sakuraba makes this point case closed.

Rickson is the BJJ/MMA equivalent of Bruce Lee, where both Men have been put on pedestals and worshipped as Gods by their fanboys or people looking to profit off of them with little to no evidence to back up their claims of greatness.

Rickson is the BJJ/MMA equivalent of Bruce Lee, where both Men have been put on pedestals and worshipped as Gods by their fanboys or people looking to profit off of them with little to no evidence to back up their claims of greatness.

Except Bruce Lee never claimed to be the best. Rickson Gracie says his way is the best and that he is the best at it, yet pussed out when Sakuraba was crushing his brothers left right and center.

Rickson would tell u Rolls was the Greatest [and that he was max his equal, at the end...]...

Except Bruce Lee never claimed to be the best. Rickson Gracie says his way is the best and that he is the best at it, yet pussed out when Sakuraba was crushing his brothers left right and center.

furthermore, there IS evidence of Bruce testing himself in full contact sparring (sparring with other martial artists, Abdul-Jabbar, etc was all that was available to him ), with zero evidence of him ducking any competition that would have answered the question.

Rickson DID have the opportunity to answer the question, and never did.

furthermore, there IS evidence of Bruce testing himself in full contact sparring (sparring with other martial artists, Abdul-Jabbar, etc was all that was available to him ), with zero evidence of him ducking any competition that would have answered the question.

Rickson DID have the opportunity to answer the question, and never did.
Depends.

Rei Zulu, his 1st Vale Tudo fight, was something scary for a rookie...

Right. There was no MMA in Lee's day so it's not a valid comparison. Lee, however, did lead the way to MMA by popularizing martial arts through movies...and by combining the arts in JKD.

Rickson's contributions really weren't that much. Royce did the UFC fighting and took on the better competition like Sak, Ken Shamrock and even Matt Hughes. Rickson started the trend of cherry-picking opponents.

Right. There was no MMA in Lee's day so it's not a valid comparison. Lee, however, did lead the way to MMA by popularizing martial arts through movies...and by combining the arts in JKD.

Rickson's contributions really weren't that much. Royce did the UFC fighting and took on the better competition like Sak, Ken Shamrock and even Matt Hughes. Rickson started the trend of cherry-picking opponents.
Rickson´s rookie fight against Rei Zulu led to the BJJ vs Luta Livre challenge in 1984, sparkin´ a Vale Tudo "revival"... which led to the UFC.

Obs: Rolls actually sparked it a lil earlier, but the fight was less relevant...

Last edited:
Rickson´s rookie fight against Rei Zulu led to the BJJ vs Luta Livre challenge in 1984, sparkin´ a Vale Tudo "revival"... which led to the UFC.

Obs: Rolls actually sparked it a lil earlier, but the fight was less relevant...

Pre-UFC, in Brazil, yes, Rickson took on some challenges (Zulu, Ruas, Hugo Duarte, etc). But he avoided the best fighters (Sak, Coleman, Kerr, the Shamrock brothers, Bas, Igor V., etc) in the late 1990s.

Now whether Rickson was really 400-1 is a different story...

Pre-UFC, in Brazil, yes, Rickson took on some challenges (Zulu, Ruas, Hugo Duarte, etc). But he avoided the best fighters (Sak, Coleman, Kerr, the Shamrock brothers, Bas, Igor V., etc) in the late 1990s.

Now whether Rickson was really 400-1 is a different story...
vs Ruas: never happened, unfortunately.

vs Duarte: happened but was pure BS

vs Rei Zulu: happened and was scary for a 1st fight.

Then, Rickson went all $$$...

I'm serious. Why are they ruining their legacies? It's like they have no dignity. Just going out there to lose ala Rashad/Rampage/King Mo just to get that paycheck.
They're Japanese.

It's their culture to fight until you are absolutely shot to hell and can't fight anymore. They garner honour from the length of their run of devastating losses at the end of their careers.

That's what it looks like anyway.

Pretty sure Ricksons back has crumbled to dust at this point.

vs Ruas: never happened, unfortunately.

vs Duarte: happened but was pure BS

vs Rei Zulu: happened and was scary for a 1st fight.

Then, Rickson went all $$$...

I stand corrected on Ruas....years ago there was a rumor they fought to a draw or something, but it wasn't true. And yes, apparently Rickson's brother threw sand in Duarte's eyes... not exactly a fair fight.

Back