Rugby In Schools Is A Form Of Child Abuse, Claims A New Study

I played from age 8-23, the only head injury I suffered was from drinking sessions after my matches at uni.

You're far more likely to see joint injuries from tackles, body goes one way, leg goes another. Generally tackles are pretty fluid and it's more bruises and cuts from being wrestled to the ground.
I dislocated my knee and ruptured a ligament at 21 playing rugby... My own team mate fell on my leg at the base of a ruck when I was playing halfback.
Four years later I broke my foot in 3 places when a number 8 who played for pro teams in Australia and at the time France cleaned me out in a ruck and my foot was trapped.
The only time I ever got injured in tackles was when they stepped and instead of making shoulder contact my arm bore the brunt of it trying to grab them. I tore my rotator cuffs in both shoulders a few times doing that.
The problem nowadays is coaches don't spend enough time teaching kids at younger grades how to tackle effectively or safely nor how to go into contact well. So many tackles are chest height on the ball, rather than around the hip or quads.

Might as well include football in there

Impact factor of 0.5. Very little research went into that one...

If society wants to keep putting kids in these high risk for brain injury situations schools and athletic programs need to take a much more serious approach to educating kids about, screening for, and treating head injuries.

Unfortunately most of these schools athletic programs aren't really equipped to do this properly.

I dislocated my knee and ruptured a ligament at 21 playing rugby... My own team mate fell on my leg at the base of a ruck when I was playing halfback.
Four years later I broke my foot in 3 places when a number 8 who played for pro teams in Australia and at the time France cleaned me out in a ruck and my foot was trapped.
The only time I ever got injured in tackles was when they stepped and instead of making shoulder contact my arm bore the brunt of it trying to grab them. I tore my rotator cuffs in both shoulders a few times doing that.
The problem nowadays is coaches don't spend enough time teaching kids at younger grades how to tackle effectively or safely nor how to go into contact well. So many tackles are chest height on the ball, rather than around the hip or quads.
I retired from playing as an amateur 20 years ago due to reoccurring minor injuries such as sprains and internal bruising under my knee caps. Not serious, but would leave me in pain for weeks...which didn't work too well for my career. At 6'1" and 90kg, I'd have struggled to really make a go at it.

I've been out of the coaching world for a long time so don't know what's being taught, but I've seen an increase in dirty play in the last 5 years. The last few England games I've been quite disappointed at how dirty some of the players, like Courtney Lawes, play. It goes against everything we used to stand for.

It's always been a gentleman's sport on the pitch, despite how violent it used to get.

Played as a school kid in the 80’s when nobody knew what a concussion was - if you didn’t have a broken bone or weren’t knocked out cold, you played on.

I loved it but I’m glad my son doesn’t play it - I’d be more worried about a neck / back break than CTE though.

I played rugby from the age of 6 until I was 28. I did boxing from the age of 12 until I was 29. I did Muay Thai from the age of 23 until I was 29.
I have never had a concussion from Rugby nor from boxing or Muay Thai. I have never been knocked out. Has my head hurt after games or after training or a fight? yes. I've always had issues with headaches are they related to rugby or boxing? who knows. Would I change anything? nope. I loved playing rugby, I wish I could still play but at 33 my body is to broken to go back lol.

- The same. The only thing i regret is taking boldenone!

Played as a school kid in the 80’s when nobody knew what a concussion was - if you didn’t have a broken bone or weren’t knocked out cold, you played on.

I loved it but I’m glad my son doesn’t play it - I’d be more worried about a neck / back break than CTE though.

- Looks like they treated you like the guys at the shaoling temple treat their chinese students.
I watched a pretty good doc some years ago, a chinese guy, he was adopted by a couple of germans. He told how diferent they treated the chinese students that lived there, and the ones that paid to study at the temple. Now that was abuse.

Back