Roy Nelson is one of the biggest wastes of potential in MMA history.

The loss of mass is not typically made up for by the gain in velocity. Not in life in general, and certainly not in human athletics and fighting. No one doubles his speed just because he loses half his weight.

I thought of a great way you can prove your point (or not) all you need is a belt, some rope, 2x 40lb weights and one of these

150321-F-XA522-021.JPG

Punch it as hard as you can normaly then attach the 2x 40 lb weights to your belt (using the rope) and then try it again. Assuming you're about an average weight of say 185 lbs in the first place..... it's a simple MW to HW comparison.

Do you still think being fat is going to help you punch harder?

1000% disagree. Being a fat white guy got him his fame

Skinny Roy Nelson would NEVER have habe been as popular.

I have no sympathy for a professional athlete who couldn't discipline himself to properly condition his body to perform to its best potential.

You do, though... unless you learn to strike with better technique, get stronger, get faster, et cetera... which you might... but if you don't, all other things remaining equal, with less mass you will lose power. It's a pretty simple physics problem.
No, its not, because you don't strike with your belly. Do you think baseball players would all hit the ball further if they gained 50 lbs of fat? Of course not.

Disagree fat has its advantages, extra calories = more strength, armor, better TDD, and power, while not taxing cardio as much as extra muscle does, also an in shape Nelson would never have got past Hunto so he did about as good as he could, the fat loss might have even made him worse but at least he would have only been marginally better

Now if we are talking about taking a child Nelson and sculpting him from scratch into an MMA fight then yes his genes are excellent for fighting and he could have potentially been the GOAT

But no fat loss would not have won him fights vs JDS, Cain, Barnett, werdum, and Hunto
he never should have been fighting HWs.

Given that we're now in the twilight of his career, with nothing but toughness keeping him going, I think its worth asking the question of how much better Roy could have been.

roy-nelson-ufc-on-fox-24.jpg

It's easy to forget just how talented the guy is.

He never bothered to elevate his striking beyond a big right hand, yet his power and timing allowed him to scrape by on it alone.

a5a3008c7ac2a751bf0fa88c34302a59.jpg

However, at the elite level, the basic nature of his striking meant he was little more than a punching bag.

Roy is a high level black belt, yet prefers to stand and bang, and will do so to the detriment of his chances of winning.
roy_nelson_frank_mir_grappling_quest.jpg

7_medium.gif

Shown here outgrappling Frank Mir in his prime. Yet, how often do we see Roy going for submissions?

His greatest talent, however, is the fact that he possesses arguably the best chin in the history of the sport. He's gone entire fights with his face being used as a heavy bag and ended the match still swinging. He's been kneed in the face, kicked in the head, caught by completely flush haymakers, and hammered over and over in the chin, yet he just keeps slogging forward.

He's absorbed more significant strikes than any fighter in UFC heavyweight history (most to the head), yet he just keeps on trucking, seeming to still be freakishly tough at age 41. Last night he ate frontkicks and knees to the chin from a huge HW like they were nothing.

Its patently obvious Roy never should have been a heavyweight. He's a natural small middleweight who happens to be obese. Yet, lack of discipline meant he never made the cut. It's also clear he needed better gameplans, and should have tried to improve his striking technique.

I think he's an easily championship level talent who never got his act together. What say you?

I've been saying for years, its' hard to take this guy seriously. He could have been so much more, but instead he's a tough fat slob. If he lost the gut, he would have had more of a fuel tank, and wouldn't have been a walking punching bag in so many of his fights. He has natural talent and toughness, but he never took himself seriously.

Roy seems to take satisfaction in just being himself. He made money and ko'd more than his share. Maybe better than he ever expected.

Fully agree, tc. I don't know if he'd be a MW, but it would have been nice to see him at least get down to LHW.

A lot of fighters feel they need to stand and bang for the sake of the fans, but as a fan myself, I'd rather see fighters meet their potential and use all their skills.

Nelson is a guy I don't like watching fight for the very reason that most of the time he is just a punching bag. We need to stop celebrating walking punching bags.

I actually thought he looked better than he has in a while in his last fight in Bellator. Was landing good takedowns and mixing it up on the ground nicely and didnt really gas.

No, its not, because you don't strike with your belly. Do you think baseball players would all hit the ball further if they gained 50 lbs of fat? Of course not.

Yes you do strike with your belly. You move your body forward and transfer that forward momentum through your shoulder, down your arm, to your fist.

And yes. Fat baseball players tend to hit the ball farther.

It's not that difficult to understand why, either, if you just exaggerate the conditions a little. Imagine that a baseball player was filled with air, and weighed in at 200 grams or so. Even if he was strong, the force of the ball hitting his bat would knock him backwards, which would mean less energy being transferred forward into the ball. Hell, even the act of swinging the bat would propel him backwards, which means the bat is moving forward with less energy.

There is no weight at which that dynamic changes. It isn't as dramatic as you move up in weight, but the fact remains that if you have more mass, the thing that you are swinging, and the thing that you hit, both receive more energy, because as you get heavier, you mass becomes more anchored.

I thought of a great way you can prove your point (or not) all you need is a belt, some rope, 2x 40lb weights and one of these

150321-F-XA522-021.JPG

Punch it as hard as you can normaly then attach the 2x 40 lb weights to your belt (using the rope) and then try it again. Assuming you're about an average weight of say 185 lbs in the first place..... it's a simple MW to HW comparison.

Do you still think being fat is going to help you punch harder?

Yes.

(Well... let's use a snug fitting weighted vest in place of the rope and the 40 lb weights... because that would be pretty damned awkward to try to move around with.)

All fighters have limits. You can only improve so much. People think a fighter can be great at everything. Usually not the case no matter the dedication.

If Roy Nelson fought differently he wouldn't be Roy Nelson.
That's who he is and how he fights.

Saying oh If he did this and that differently. That's not how it works. This isn't a build a fighter video game. you can't piece together attributes and you talk about toughness and fighting through wars like that's a common thing. It's The opposite. A lot of fighters look for a way out when things get rough for them. Get out with as little injury as possible and on to the next fight.

Roy is the opposite. No quit in him no matter what the other guy is dishing out.
Huge respect.

I agree with your general sentiment

I wouldn't mention the Mir thing though since Frank dominated him on the ground when they fought in the UFC

Good to see you're still trying but you're still wrong.
You're the one who started with the "it's physics" stuff in the first place buy you don't appear to have studied physics or know much/anything about it.
I'm not suggesting you do it as part of your degree course but try doing a basic physics course which covers

Newton's Laws
Vectors, Resolution of Forces
Conservation of Momentum
Work, Energy, and Power
Circular Motion.

When you've done that you'll understand why what you've been saying is wrong.
Using your 'flawed' logic fat people are the best high jumpers, the force to jump high is applied and they have much more mass so they'll jump higher, only they won't of course.
When Roy Nelson punches is all of his 120kg (no one uses retard units in force calcs) applied to the punch, the answer is a big fat no, which you'd know if you knew anything about the contents of the physics course I suggested you take.

The fact that you are somehow comparing the impact of a punch, which is aided by gravity and friction, to someone trying to propel himself AGAINST gravity in a high jump, just shows that for all your talk of terms and formulas and "retard units" you have no understanding of the actual physical dynamics at work.

Here's a hint:

In zero gravity, do you figure your punch would land have the same impact on its target or would some of that energy be used up in propelling you backwards on contact?

In zero gravity, again, do you figure you'd be able to, I dunno, maybe jump a little bit higher?

(And that's not even getting into the fact that your "fat man high jump" argument as proof of my "flawed logic" seems to suggest that you've now decided to go all in and suggest that increased mass is not in any way related to increased force/impact because, well, fat dudes can't jump, right?)

Last edited:
He might have good BJJ but if you dont have the wrestling or cardio to utilize it in MMA it really doesn't mean much.

Yes.

(Well... let's use a snug fitting weighted vest in place of the rope and the 40 lb weights... because that would be pretty damned awkward to try to move around with.)

You're a fucking idiot, you and your pretend physics.
You're talking nonsense, you have from the start and you still are.

I agree with your general sentiment

I wouldn't mention the Mir thing though since Frank dominated him on the ground when they fought in the UFC
Well, my central thesis is that Roy never bothered to improve in a meaningful way, so the fact that he didn't out grapple mir in the UFC doesn't necessarily contradict it. Roy beat him in 2003, they fought in 2011.

Back