Roy Nelson is one of the biggest wastes of potential in MMA history.

He used the gut as an image to market himself for fights and fans. Not sure how he would've done slimmed down but lately his cardio hasn't been good and he becomes a punching bag. The talent and potential has always been there but he's running out of time.

You do, though... unless you learn to strike with better technique, get stronger, get faster, et cetera... which you might... but if you don't, all other things remaining equal, with less mass you will lose power. It's a pretty simple physics problem.

Not true. I was 163 lbs this winter. Now I'm 152 lbs. I am stronger and more powerful in every way right now than I was then.

You do, though... unless you learn to strike with better technique, get stronger, get faster, et cetera... which you might... but if you don't, all other things remaining equal, with less mass you will lose power. It's a pretty simple physics problem.

It's not simple physics.

That's like saying if Nelson weighed 400 lbs, he'd triple his punching power. It doesn't work like that.

There are a lot of factors to consider. There are countless boxers who moved up\down in weight and it did not translate into more\less power. It depends on the individual.

His career was better and more exciting this way as a fat jack in the box.

Want was his nickname going to be "Denzel DC" Nelson?

It's not simple physics.

That's like saying if Nelson weighed 400 lbs, he'd triple his punching power. It doesn't work like that.

There are a lot of factors to consider. There are countless boxers who moved up\down in weight and it did not translate into more\less power. It depends on the individual.

Of course there are a lot of factors. I said that. In the post you quoted and replied to, in fact. BUT if everything else stays equal, then yes, when you lose weight you lose punching power.

(And, even though all things don't remain equal, boxers and fighters almost always lose power when they drop weight classes.)

Not true. I was 163 lbs this winter. Now I'm 152 lbs. I am stronger and more powerful in every way right now than I was then.

Ahhh... but that's exactly what I said in the post that you are quoting. If you lose weight and also get stronger, then yes, your power may increase.

But if everything else remains the same, you will lose punching power.

Wtf are you on now? That makes about no sense at all. I've given you the formula ffs the relationship between mass and velocity is clear IT'S IN THE FORMULA FOR KINETIC ENERGY.

I'm glad you're bringing up guns though.

Mass of a bullet 4 g
Mass of Roy Nelson 120,000 g

If (you think) mass so important then how come a bullet can kill you but a punch from Roy Nelson is unlikely to?
Because the energy it hits you with is = 1/2 mv^2 so it's the velocity that matters most because you're squaring it and a bullet is travelling much faster (whichever gun it comes from) than a punch from a fat or slim Roy Nelson is.

Incriment mass by 1

1/2 x 3 x2^2 = 6
1/2 x 2 x2^2 = 4
1/2 x 1 x2^2 = 2

Incriment velocity by 1

1/2 x 1 x4^2 = 8
1/2 x 1 x3^2 = 4.5
1/2 x 1 x2^2 = 2

Velocity matters more than mass but trebling the mass has more of an impact than doubling the velocity so clearly they both matter. Assuming that a loss in mass won't be made up by a gain in velocity is where the discussion is and that's much more complex.

Exactly. The loss of mass is not typically made up for by the gain in velocity. Not in life in general, and certainly not in human athletics and fighting. No one doubles his speed just because he loses half his weight. It's one of the reasons we have weight classes, actually.

Your bullet analysis is a bit silly. Bullets kill you because they penetrate your body and tear holes in vital tissues. But a buss traveling at 30 mph hits with much more impact than a bullet travelling at 1700 mph.

If you stand with a bullet proof metal plate in front of you and take the impact of the bullet, you'll feel it, and if it's a high enough caliber it may even knock you back a step... but even holding that same bulletproof metal plate, that 30 mph bus is going to blow you off your feet and quite likely kill you.

Likewise, if you were to put a metal bar on the end of Roy's fist, the diameter and pointed shape (at the end) of a bullet, and Roy was to manage to hit you straight on with it, I'd venture a guess that it would, indeed, penetrate your body and kill you.

I was really surprised at how very easy Frank Mir handled Roy Nelson. He almost made it look like a walk in the park, casually flipping Roy to the mat and easily defended everything Roy had. All that and that was not exactly a prime time Mir, long past it. I would say the motorcycle accident wasted the biggest potential of all, in Frank Mir. Even so, Mir has had a great career.

Exactly. The loss of mass is not typically made up for by the gain in velocity. Not in life in general, and certainly not in human athletics and fighting. No one doubles his speed just because he loses half his weight. It's one of the reasons we have weight classes, actuall

Good to see you're still trying but you're still wrong.
You're the one who started with the "it's physics" stuff in the first place buy you don't appear to have studied physics or know much/anything about it.
I'm not suggesting you do it as part of your degree course but try doing a basic physics course which covers

Newton's Laws
Vectors, Resolution of Forces
Conservation of Momentum
Work, Energy, and Power
Circular Motion.

When you've done that you'll understand why what you've been saying is wrong.
Using your 'flawed' logic fat people are the best high jumpers, the force to jump high is applied and they have much more mass so they'll jump higher, only they won't of course.
When Roy Nelson punches is all of his 120kg (no one uses retard units in force calcs) applied to the punch, the answer is a big fat no, which you'd know if you knew anything about the contents of the physics course I suggested you take.

Given that we're now in the twilight of his career, with nothing but toughness keeping him going, I think its worth asking the question of how much better Roy could have been.

roy-nelson-ufc-on-fox-24.jpg

It's easy to forget just how talented the guy is.

He never bothered to elevate his striking beyond a big right hand, yet his power and timing allowed him to scrape by on it alone.

a5a3008c7ac2a751bf0fa88c34302a59.jpg

However, at the elite level, the basic nature of his striking meant he was little more than a punching bag.

Roy is a high level black belt, yet prefers to stand and bang, and will do so to the detriment of his chances of winning.
roy_nelson_frank_mir_grappling_quest.jpg

7_medium.gif

Shown here outgrappling Frank Mir in his prime. Yet, how often do we see Roy going for submissions?

His greatest talent, however, is the fact that he possesses arguably the best chin in the history of the sport. He's gone entire fights with his face being used as a heavy bag and ended the match still swinging. He's been kneed in the face, kicked in the head, caught by completely flush haymakers, and hammered over and over in the chin, yet he just keeps slogging forward.

He's absorbed more significant strikes than any fighter in UFC heavyweight history (most to the head), yet he just keeps on trucking, seeming to still be freakishly tough at age 41. Last night he ate frontkicks and knees to the chin from a huge HW like they were nothing.

Its patently obvious Roy never should have been a heavyweight. He's a natural small middleweight who happens to be obese. Yet, lack of discipline meant he never made the cut. It's also clear he needed better gameplans, and should have tried to improve his striking technique.

I think he's an easily championship level talent who never got his act together. What say you?

Roy Nelson a small MW? LMFAO, did you just call Roy Nelson a big WW???

Negro please, educate yourself more. Yes, the man is fat....but he still has a large frame. The fact that he can take MASSIVE shots from large heavyweights is proof alone that the guy has a HW frame and an extremely thick bone density.

No not at all. Nelson has done better than most in MMA!!. He is very popular fighter and is very well known. He was IFL HW champ, won TUF, fought on tons of UFC PPV's.. and made lots of money, his bonuses alone was so much for knockouts of the night.

If Nelson has lost lots of weight and been LHW for instance.. he would never have had the same effect, he would just be a run of the mill guy. People liked him a lot.. and hes had a great career.

Roy Nelson a small MW? LMFAO, did you just call Roy Nelson a big WW???

Negro please, educate yourself more. Yes, the man is fat....but he still has a large frame. The fact that he can take MASSIVE shots from large heavyweights is proof alone that the guy has a HW frame and an extremely thick bone density.
No, I called him a small MW. I think his frame is smaller than Tim Boetsch, for example.

The fact that he can take massive shots doesn't prove he's a natural heavyweight. The dude is literally obese, look at his gut. At most 6' tall, and he doesn't have some kind of freaky wide bone structure. Not sure how its possible to justify that he couldn't potentially make 185. LHW should be trivial.

I "liked" Roys page years ago because he claimed if he got enough fans he would cut to 205lbs. He got the fans then never followed through... Damn liar.

Been a fan for a long time. Just wish he had a better gameplan then to bang. Sometimes using your head to block punches isn't a smart idea.

There's an actual cobra kai? And Roy is in it? No wonder...He should've switched to a better gym.

You don't automatically give up power if you drop weight. Why do people always say this? Ridiculous.
Exactly, isnt the other way around it? Boxers say this all the time, they are KO machines at the lower weight classes until they move up in weight and not all of them carry the power the same, or their rivals just take it easier.

Back