Roy Nelson is one of the biggest wastes of potential in MMA history.

the impact of a punch, which is aided by gravity and friction)

See my previous post, you have no idea what you're talking about, try studying what I've mentioned instead of using pretending you know anything about them.

A punch is aided by gravity,yeah of course it is. Unless Nelson is suspended above his opponent or is dropped on him gravity only acts against his punch, you clearly don't know how gravity works. As I've said several times you have no idea what you're talking about.

There's an actual cobra kai? And Roy is in it? No wonder...He should've switched to a better gym.

I'm not sure of the current roster, but when I was competing Cobra Kai had some very good grapplers that competed in rank and open.

And, Roy Nelson was one of the best in the world hw, how is that underachieving?

he made more staying a top 15 hw than he would have in any other division u less he got a belt.....

it mightve been the right move.....

There's an actual cobra kai? And Roy is in it? No wonder...He should've switched to a better gym.
I'm not sure of the current roster, but when I was competing Cobra Kai had some very good grapplers that competed in rank and open.

And, Roy Nelson was one of the best in the world hw, how is that underachieving?
i think that might be a reference to the 80s movie "the karate kid"....i think cobra kai was the dojo the bad guys were from.....

brings up a good question tho.....why dont more martial artists just sweep the leg?

Last edited:
Roy is a great fighter but he is never a championship material...at least in the UFC..

Or the IFL, Elite XC and maybe Bellator..

Could he have been a little better if he grappled a little more, didn't carry extra weight and trained more like an elite athlete? Sure. But Roy is Roy. His personality is such that he is always going to do whatever he wants. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Yes you do strike with your belly. You move your body forward and transfer that forward momentum through your shoulder, down your arm, to your fist.

And yes. Fat baseball players tend to hit the ball farther.

It's not that difficult to understand why, either, if you just exaggerate the conditions a little. Imagine that a baseball player was filled with air, and weighed in at 200 grams or so. Even if he was strong, the force of the ball hitting his bat would knock him backwards, which would mean less energy being transferred forward into the ball. Hell, even the act of swinging the bat would propel him backwards, which means the bat is moving forward with less energy.

There is no weight at which that dynamic changes. It isn't as dramatic as you move up in weight, but the fact remains that if you have more mass, the thing that you are swinging, and the thing that you hit, both receive more energy, because as you get heavier, you mass becomes more anchored.

I honestly cant tell if you're being trolled or not....

Are these guys really arguing that you lose power as you get larger???

I guess. Even if he took the diet and training serious he would only be so fit. He did not exactly win the genetic lottery..

See my previous post, you have no idea what you're talking about, try studying what I've mentioned instead of using pretending you know anything about them.

A punch is aided by gravity,yeah of course it is. Unless Nelson is suspended above his opponent or is dropped on him gravity only acts against his punch, you clearly don't know how gravity works. As I've said several times you have no idea what you're talking about.

Gravity is what anchors him to the ground. That anchor is important. Without it the force of his strike recoils on him. More mass means a stronger base from which your punch is being thrown.

That's why Archimedes said "Give me a lever long enough AND A PLACE TO STAND and I will move the world." The place to stand is important.

This debate is going nowhere, but how about we just do a thought experiment to finish it off:

Imagine a machine with a piston that strikes out quickly and violently.

Now imagine that machine is anchored to a 1 lb block.

Now imagine you place that 1 lb block and piston in front of a metal plate rigged up to measure the force of the piston strike.

Now imagine the piston striking out and imagine what happens when it makes contact.

Next imagine the exact same machine with the exact same piston that strikes out exactly as quickly and violently.

This time, though, imagine that machine is anchored to a 100 lb block.

Now imagine you place that 100 lb block and piston in front of the exact same metal plate rigged up to measure the force of the piston strike.

Now imagine the piston striking out and imagine what happens when it makes contact.

Okay. So here's what I imagine.

I imagine that the piston, when attached to the 1 lb block, is propelled backwards when it strikes the metal plate violently, and that this reduces the forward impact measured.

I imagine that the same piston, when attached to the 100 lb block, stays more or less put when it strikes the metal plate violently, and that the forward impact measured is, therefore, more forceful.

If you imagine the opposite (that the piston anchored to the lighter block strikes with the greater impact because gravity and fat guys jumping and whatnot), then we are at an impasse, and we can probably just leave this here and anyone insane enough to try to follow this discussion can decide on his/her own which of us is the asshat.

If you imagine a similar result to the one that I imagine (that the piston anchored to the heavier block will strike with more impact because it does not reabsorb nearly so much of the force of the strike in being jarred backward on contact), then consider this:

Roy's fist is the piston. Roy's belly is the block.

Given that we're now in the twilight of his career, with nothing but toughness keeping him going, I think its worth asking the question of how much better Roy could have been.

roy-nelson-ufc-on-fox-24.jpg

It's easy to forget just how talented the guy is.

He never bothered to elevate his striking beyond a big right hand, yet his power and timing allowed him to scrape by on it alone.

a5a3008c7ac2a751bf0fa88c34302a59.jpg

However, at the elite level, the basic nature of his striking meant he was little more than a punching bag.

Roy is a high level black belt, yet prefers to stand and bang, and will do so to the detriment of his chances of winning.
roy_nelson_frank_mir_grappling_quest.jpg

7_medium.gif

Shown here outgrappling Frank Mir in his prime. Yet, how often do we see Roy going for submissions?

His greatest talent, however, is the fact that he possesses arguably the best chin in the history of the sport. He's gone entire fights with his face being used as a heavy bag and ended the match still swinging. He's been kneed in the face, kicked in the head, caught by completely flush haymakers, and hammered over and over in the chin, yet he just keeps slogging forward.

He's absorbed more significant strikes than any fighter in UFC heavyweight history (most to the head), yet he just keeps on trucking, seeming to still be freakishly tough at age 41. Last night he ate frontkicks and knees to the chin from a huge HW like they were nothing.

Its patently obvious Roy never should have been a heavyweight. He's a natural small middleweight who happens to be obese. Yet, lack of discipline meant he never made the cut. It's also clear he needed better gameplans, and should have tried to improve his striking technique.

I think he's an easily championship level talent who never got his act together. What say you?

Nice analysis.

What really matters is basically this - is Roy happy with his career and how he approached it?

I suspect he'd like things to go a bit differently but I don't think he'd be completely disappointed and despondent about it.

So long as Roy's fine with Roy - who am I to tell him he shouldn't be?

Seems like a lot of fighters come to MMA and abandon the thing they are best at. Ronda abandoned the judo, Hendricks and Woodley prefer to strike than wrestle. Jon does PEDs and commits crimes instead of being a lean machine that stops crimes.

Same with Fedor towards the end of his career in regards to the ground aspect of his Sambo background.

Back