Ronda Rousey's Acting Career Takes A Hit (Replaced by Mark Wahlberg on "Mile 22")

Better Every Day

Zhang finishing Andrade avatar
Platinum Member
Reaction score
RONDA ROUSEY'S ACTING CAREER TAKES A HIT
FIGHTLAND BLOG
By Josh Rosenblatt

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/ronda-rouseys-acting-career-takes-a-hit

From longer article:

"According to The New Yorker story, Berg was able to sell Fogelson on Mile 22 but not on Rousey as its star. Raising concerns about the fighter’s admittedly wooden performance in Furious 7, the studio head pushed Berg to find a big-name star, like Will Smith, to take on the part of Silva, a shadowy “intelligence hack who’s shoveled shit on four continents” whose role in the movie was tertiary: nothing a superstar would normally consider. And sure enough, Smith turned down the role (despite his love of MMA) and it eventually went to Mark Walhberg, who agreed to the movie only if his part was beefed up and he became, rather than the tragic turncoat who dies in the film’s third act, its star, and possibly the center of a new franchise."

"Berg signed off, as did Fogelson, and the film was rewritten, and Rousey was once more pushed into the role of the fighter without much acting weight to carry... As Fogelson said, with true Hollywood sugar, the new script will allow 'Ronda to do everything she can and should do without having to carry any undue acting weight.' Jesus, in a town and an industry built on perception, that sentence alone, coming as it does from a rising Hollywood power player, could damn Ronda Rousey to the cold hell of typecasting, a hell from which there is usually no escape. Add to this the fact that Rousey lost her fight in December to Holly Holm, a fight that demolished the invincibility that Rousey’s reputation, and more importantly Hollywood’s interest in her, had been built on, and it’s not hard to see that Ronda Rousey could be in trouble in motion pictures."

Glad to see the downward spiral continue.

a158b738164e6824fc0dd2a7544cf3d1.640x360x146.gif

Ronda's being played by a man? I thought that was Cyborg.

RONDA ROUSEY'S ACTING CAREER TAKES A HIT
FIGHTLAND BLOG
By Josh Rosenblatt

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/ronda-rouseys-acting-career-takes-a-hit

From longer article:

"According to The New Yorker story, Berg was able to sell Fogelson on Mile 22 but not on Rousey as its star. Raising concerns about the fighter’s admittedly wooden performance in Furious 7, the studio head pushed Berg to find a big-name star, like Will Smith, to take on the part of Silva, a shadowy “intelligence hack who’s shoveled shit on four continents” whose role in the movie was tertiary: nothing a superstar would normally consider. And sure enough, Smith turned down the role (despite his love of MMA) and it eventually went to Mark Walhberg, who agreed to the movie only if his part was beefed up and he became, rather than the tragic turncoat who dies in the film’s third act, its star, and possibly the center of a new franchise."

"Berg signed off, as did Fogelson, and the film was rewritten, and Rousey was once more pushed into the role of the fighter without much acting weight to carry... As Fogelson said, with true Hollywood sugar, the new script will allow 'Ronda to do everything she can and should do without having to carry any undue acting weight.' Jesus, in a town and an industry built on perception, that sentence alone, coming as it does from a rising Hollywood power player, could damn Ronda Rousey to the cold hell of typecasting, a hell from which there is usually no escape. Add to this the fact that Rousey lost her fight in December to Holly Holm, a fight that demolished the invincibility that Rousey’s reputation, and more importantly Hollywood’s interest in her, had been built on, and it’s not hard to see that Ronda Rousey could be in trouble in motion pictures."

I can't see why anyone ever thought she could open and carry a big movie. You need a big name to "open" a film released to exhibitors. Wahlberg does that. She can also learn a lot by working on a film with Wahlberg. She really did little or no acting in Furious and was actually pretty good in Entourage. Wahlberg's involvement will guarantee that the film gets attention. It takes a while for most actors to work up to the "carry a film" level - go to IMDB and look at the first few years of Jack Nicholson or other big stars. She is on her way. But it is a long road.

I can't see why anyone ever thought she could open and carry a big movie. You need a big name to "open" a film released to exhibitors. Wahlberg does that. She can also learn a lot by working on a film with Wahlberg. She really did little or no acting in Furious and was actually pretty good in Entourage. Wahlberg's involvement will guarantee that the film gets attention. It takes a while for most actors to work up to the "carry a film" level - go to IMDB and look at the first few years of Jack Nicolson or other big stars. She is on her way. But it is a long road.
Didn't she just play herself in Entourage?

Didn't she just play herself in Entourage?

That's actually what most of the more successful stars do. I remember a famous line of Peter O'Toole's (I can't remember the movie) - "I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!"

Last edited:
I like how it's still getting worse for Rousey.

She really lost everything in 2015, even her record for fastest win in a title fight was taken away by Conor.

That's actually what most of the more successful stars do. I remember a famous line of Peter O'Tolle's (I can't remember the movie) - "I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!"

That's real talk. Rousey is such a successful star, that she plays herself. Just like Chuck played himself in Entourage.
Following in the footsteps baby, SHE ON HER WAY!
LOL

...the part of Silva, a shadowy “intelligence hack who’s shoveled shit on four continents”...

Ronda has shit in the woods on at least one continent. How many continents has Wahlberg shit on?

I can't see why anyone ever thought she could open and carry a big movie. You need a big name to "open" a film released to exhibitors. Wahlberg does that. She can also learn a lot by working on a film with Wahlberg. She really did little or no acting in Furious and was actually pretty good in Entourage. Wahlberg's involvement will guarantee that the film gets attention. It takes a while for most actors to work up to the "carry a film" level - go to IMDB and look at the first few years of Jack Nicholson or other big stars. She is on her way. But it is a long road.

And if it becomes an on-going film franchise, she can--potentially--gradually have her roles in it expanded as her acting chops improve.

That's actually what most of the more successful stars do. I remember a famous line of Peter O'Tolle's (I can't remember the movie) - "I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!"
I'm not sure it works like that. Who else made the transition doing that?

Lol. Marky Mark goes from kissing Honda's ass in the pre-fight special, to stealing her role when she falls.

Gotta love showbiz.

I thought Mile 22 was going to star Walhberg in the first place?

I'm not sure it works like that. Who else made the transition doing that?

Just off hand. Fred Thompson - lawyer to actor to politician. Basically played himself all the way through. He's no Al Pacino but he made a very decent living.

Back