Ronda Rousey is so beatable...

gorillaonabike

White Belt
Reaction score
And I say this as a Ronda Rousey fan and very old, very beaten-up, third-rate judoka.

Sure, I feel pride at judo being on display but as a judoka, I see extraordinarily stupid, basic mistakes being made by the women she fights who have clearly not trained against judo. Take for example, Alexis Davies who gave RR the Harai Goshi. I spent years trying to kuzushi opponents into that position and Alexis just handed it to RR on a plate. In boxing terms, Alexis Davies did the equivalent of walking forward with her eyes closed, chin in the air and hands-down to an Olympic-medalist level opponent.

Cat. What shocked me most is not the knee, rather when she ended up in the clinch, she tried some kind of 3rd rate no-gi O Goshi!!!!! And when she found herself on the floor, she put herself in the training position we judoka use most in groundwork!!!!! Trying either of these against an Olympic medalist was going to be stupid beyond belief and indicates zero prep.

And as for Tait, when she was in throwing range, she didn't understand how to nullify a judo throw. There were a dozen things she could've done but did none of them because she clearly hadn't prepared against a judo.

So as a first post, this is probably not ideal but the last thing I want to see is another inept display by an opponent who probably can't even spell judo let alone have prepared properly to face an Olympic medalist. RR has demonstrated she can get punched in the face, she has legs and can be taken down and if one of the coaches actually does their homework, RR could find herself in a real fight. However, firstly, a coach needs to figure out how to get their fighter into a room with an actual judoka. In fact, getting their fighter in a room with someone who can spell judo would be a good start.

* Rant over *

A another Ronda thread.

Great job

You mean it's not spelled jewdough?!

the ufc in the women divisions are 20 years behind, dont get me wrong Ronda is great but the other girls dont know what to do, they look like amateurs, I saw ufc 184 and I had the feeling that I was watching UFC 1

None of these women have the time to play catch up in Judo with Rousey. Rousey can use simpler techniques because they work, and if they don't she will combo into more complex approaches on the fly. Working on your Judo sounds necessary but it's not going to do much for these women, other than some basic principles to make Ronda work harder. What they need is footwork to stay away, the ability to block the speed transition game, and better submission defense.

WMMA is sooo weak. The person with the best shot to beat her is Cyborg, but I dont see the UFC allowing that fight to take place.

Nowadays if they get a marketable fighter, they seem to protect them as much as possible in order to convince casuals they are "unbeatable". IE Conor Mcgregor.

WMMA is sooo weak. The person with the best shot to beat her is Cyborg, but I dont see the UFC allowing that fight to take place.

Nowadays if they get a marketable fighter, they seem to protect them as much as possible in order to convince casuals they are "unbeatable". IE Conor Mcgregor.

Yeah bro, Conor is being protected so hard being thrown in there with the champion. Rousey is being protected so hard being fed top contender after top contender.

the ufc in the women divisions are 20 years behind, dont get me wrong Ronda is great but the other girls dont know what to do, they look like amateurs, I saw ufc 184 and I had the feeling that I was watching UFC 1

/thread.

seriously, I actually felt embarrassed for the UFC that this fight was the main event. looked like such a mismatch.

You've got to be stupid to think her opponents haven't done their homework. It's a lot easier to create a game plan than it is to execute it. One part of it is I believe most of her opponents are mentally beat before even stepping in with ronda. So even if they plan to do something they get caught up in the hype and make mistakes and ronda capitalizes on any error in milliseconds.

sep28-6x8.jpg

Yeah bro, Conor is being protected so hard being thrown in there with the champion. Rousey is being protected so hard being fed top contender after top contender.

lol @ being thrown in there. Dude, a title shot is what everyone wants. Its the biggest $$ fight youre gonna get. They gave him the easiest, tailor made path possible to that fight.

His weakness is takedowns and submissions and they protected him from any of the multitude of guys that would have easily taken him down and subbed him.

WMMA is sooo weak its embarrassing. There is one big fight that fans want to see but it wont happen b/c keeping her undefeated is more profitable.

That's what I've been saying.

There's a reason Ronda's throws and armbars worked fuck-all against her opponents in the Olympics.

And you can't even use the argument that "this is MMA, not judo!" because how Ronda wins her MMA matches is 95% judo throws and armbars. Her MMA opponents are just clueless.

So you are saying that the girls she is fighting do not know Judo like an Olympic medalist and keep making mistakes because they have not trained their whole lives to beat a serious judoka? Shocking, I never would have thought of that.

And I say this as a Ronda Rousey fan and very old, very beaten-up, third-rate judoka.

Sure, I feel pride at judo being on display but as a judoka, I see extraordinarily stupid, basic mistakes being made by the women she fights who have clearly not trained against judo. Take for example, Alexis Davies who gave RR the Harai Goshi. I spent years trying to kuzushi opponents into that position and Alexis just handed it to RR on a plate. In boxing terms, Alexis Davies did the equivalent of walking forward with her eyes closed, chin in the air and hands-down to an Olympic-medalist level opponent.

Cat. What shocked me most is not the knee, rather when she ended up in the clinch, she tried some kind of 3rd rate no-gi O Goshi!!!!! And when she found herself on the floor, she put herself in the training position we judoka use most in groundwork!!!!! Trying either of these against an Olympic medalist was going to be stupid beyond belief and indicates zero prep.

And as for Tait, when she was in throwing range, she didn't understand how to nullify a judo throw. There were a dozen things she could've done but did none of them because she clearly hadn't prepared against a judo.

So as a first post, this is probably not ideal but the last thing I want to see is another inept display by an opponent who probably can't even spell judo let alone have prepared properly to face an Olympic medalist. RR has demonstrated she can get punched in the face, she has legs and can be taken down and if one of the coaches actually does their homework, RR could find herself in a real fight. However, firstly, a coach needs to figure out how to get their fighter into a room with an actual judoka. In fact, getting their fighter in a room with someone who can spell judo would be a good start.

* Rant over *

Davis isn't a good example in that she was already on queer street by the time Ronda got ahold of her. That's like saying Gleison Tibau has no jiu jitsu because Tony Ferguson was able to sink the choke so easily. Davis could very well have trained her ass off and studied hours of footage but once she was separated from her senses, she became a grappling dummy.

That's what I've been saying.

There's a reason Ronda's throws and armbars worked fuck-all against her opponents in the Olympics.

And you can't even use the argument that "this is MMA, not judo!" because how Ronda wins her MMA matches is 95% judo throws and armbars. Her MMA opponents are just clueless.

Only 60% of her wins in the UFC are from armbars. A judo girl with no MMA training who would beat Ronda in Judo would probably end up getting punches, kneed, thrown, and possibly armbarred. Ronda's opponents need to do more than Judo, the problem is that Ronda is so far above them it's unlikely anyone catches up soon. Her striking is not half bad either.

5 women off the top of my head in their primes who would destroy Rousey with just 6 months of MMA training at Openweight.

Cyborg, Lucia Rijker, Gabby Garcia, Serina Williams, Layla Ali.

Back