Ronda Rousey is so beatable...

5 women off the top of my head in their primes who would destroy Rousey with just 6 months of MMA training at Openweight.

Cyborg, Lucia Rijker, Gabby Garcia, Serina Williams, Layla Ali.

Serina Williams the tennis player and isn't Layla Ali old by now
I dout gabby could make 135 so it's between the first two
Not in The UFC

And I say this as a Ronda Rousey fan and very old, very beaten-up, third-rate judoka.

Sure, I feel pride at judo being on display but as a judoka, I see extraordinarily stupid, basic mistakes being made by the women she fights who have clearly not trained against judo. Take for example, Alexis Davies who gave RR the Harai Goshi. I spent years trying to kuzushi opponents into that position and Alexis just handed it to RR on a plate. In boxing terms, Alexis Davies did the equivalent of walking forward with her eyes closed, chin in the air and hands-down to an Olympic-medalist level opponent.

Cat. What shocked me most is not the knee, rather when she ended up in the clinch, she tried some kind of 3rd rate no-gi O Goshi!!!!! And when she found herself on the floor, she put herself in the training position we judoka use most in groundwork!!!!! Trying either of these against an Olympic medalist was going to be stupid beyond belief and indicates zero prep.

And as for Tait, when she was in throwing range, she didn't understand how to nullify a judo throw. There were a dozen things she could've done but did none of them because she clearly hadn't prepared against a judo.

So as a first post, this is probably not ideal but the last thing I want to see is another inept display by an opponent who probably can't even spell judo let alone have prepared properly to face an Olympic medalist. RR has demonstrated she can get punched in the face, she has legs and can be taken down and if one of the coaches actually does their homework, RR could find herself in a real fight. However, firstly, a coach needs to figure out how to get their fighter into a room with an actual judoka. In fact, getting their fighter in a room with someone who can spell judo would be a good start.

* Rant over *
I think a big part of it was that most mma grappling training is focused on wrestling style takedowns and tdd, and a lot of her early opposition had no real experience with judo style throws. As someone with a wrestling background who has taken a few judo classes, I can say that they are very different... I got caught off guard a few times with unexpected techniques

I knew from the start that Cyborg or someone like her(there just wasn't anyone else like that around yet) would have smashed the hypejob. Ronda knew it, Dana and Zuffa knew it too that's why they ducked her.

Back