Robin Black reveals Eddie Bravo's plan for Tony

Lets see khabib make 155 again. Actually, 155 or less, no more of this 156 shit.

Easier said than done. It's gonna be a bitch to control Khabib's posture. It's going to be tough to land elbows from the bottom against Khabib's style. He floats on you. He rides your movements. He doesn't stay static. He doesn't stay close enough for elbows.

If Tony can actually control Khabib's posture and land elbows, his strategy might work if he can manage to get some cuts out of it. I just don't see Khabib giving Tony the range to land anything meaningful from guard.

Tony has a puncher's chance in this fight IMO.

Exactly. It's the same reason why trying to play the guard game against Maia was stupid for condit, despite the fact that Condit has a very dangerous guard.

You are not going to control someone like Maia or khabib long enough to get off many elbows. And looking for an offensive game off your back just gives the guy on top more opportunities.

Just play dead and let the bear maul you for a few rounds Tony! He will get bored of it eventually and then you can snatch a sub while he’s resting.

I remember when Condits game plan against Maia was not to fight the takedowns and cut him with elbows

I've always said the one thing that makes me worry about Tony is having Eddie in his corner telling him the wrong tactics.

this is why its so hard to see Tony winning the fight. None of us think he can stop the takedown and keep the fight standing long enough to do anything. So both camps know this and the game plan for both starts from khabib on top....terrible place to start a fight from. Now khabib knows all Tony has is elbows and look for submissions if khabib is reckless. Basically khabibs camp is planing for a conservative, but solid gnp and slowly break him down without risking too much. This makes khabib huge favorite

Jesus Christ.

I just wasted five minutes of my life. So much to say and nothing of any fucking value. He could have said everything in 15 seconds.

Aren't ALL podcasts like that ?
Guys rumbling nonsense to fit air time..

Jesus Christ.

I just wasted five minutes of my life. So much to say and nothing of any fucking value. He could have said everything in 15 seconds.
Robin Black is the king of dragging shit on. Hipster mma analyst.

Makes me laugh at how badly he wanted to work for the UFC til they stopped to realize how corny the dude is. (as if it wasn’t obvious already)

Would’ve been terrible

Tony should try a jumping knee to the chin when Khabib shoots for the takedown, like Romero against Weidman

Im sure tony gameplans and has strategies but one of the things that makes Cucey great is his OWN fight iq in the heat of the moment and adaptability, This dude is a whirling dervish in there, Tony is not gonna give him anything including the take down without resistance. have you not seen his fights? dude doesnt concede, and i doubt his "gameplan" is to give up the takedown and look for submissions, Hes gonna give it hell for as along as hes in there...and no doubt so is khabib...YEEEEHAWWWW mawfuckas been waiting for this fight.

Black seems to be going through some odd philosophical phase. Saying things like takedown defense doesn't exist. Wrestlers just learn to wrestle, takedown defense is not even a thing. "Takedown defense" are words that exist and we understand what it means in the context of mma. MMA fighters don't learn "wrestling" they learn the aspects of it that are applicable to their game. The defensive aspects for a lot of guys. But we can't call that "takedown defense" because that doesn't exist. Even his criticism of the term "Takedown defense" misses the mark. A lot of aspects of it don't come from wrestling - footwork, pivots..etc

He's got to make Khabib work in every position. He can't give any ground.

That is pretty what most people imagine Tony doing. No matter how much Tony trains take down defense/ground game he won't be able to out do Khabib so it's kinda of pointless to work on. He's likely working on surviving Khabibs ground game and hopefully wearing Khabib out enough to beat him in the stand up.

Black seems to be going through some odd philosophical phase. Saying things like takedown defense doesn't exist. Wrestlers just learn to wrestle, takedown defense is not even a thing. "Takedown defense" are words that exist and we understand what it means in the context of mma. MMA fighters don't learn "wrestling" they learn the aspects of it that are applicable to their game. The defensive aspects for a lot of guys. But we can't call that "takedown defense" because that doesn't exist. Even his criticism of the term "Takedown defense" misses the mark. A lot of aspects of it don't come from wrestling - footwork, pivots..etc
His criticisms could be extrapolated to striking too. He could say "there is no boxing or muay thai defense. There is only learning boxing and muay thai." I think he is wrong. MMA fighters take elements from each of the sports. Not the whole shebang. I actually like Black but he is getting kind of weird in a way and in one of his mayweather/conor analysis from around the time of the fight, I could swear he was on cocaine. He was so wired and talking in this stream of consciousness type talk.

Amazing, Tony will get taken down and attempt subs and elbows.

Back