Robin Black reveals Eddie Bravo's plan for Tony

I don't really see it as a gameplan. It's what Tony does in every fight. I don't know how well Tony would follow a gameplan that varied from his usual tactics anyway. First off I would resist the takedown, not because it will be successful early, but to make Khabib use up more energy.
Khabib is very predictable. As soon as you step outside the black line, Khabib's coming with a 1-2, hook then a shot. If you pressure Khabib into the fence he burst's out with the same combo, but no shot. i.e Pressure him backwards into the fence with combinations, then look for the counter when he tries the bust out. Khabib uses his quick feet to move back from punches. He rarely stays in the pocket. If you don't have lightning speed you need to take away this stand up defense. Inside Leg kick him to get him to check, and throw while he's on a single foot(Hendo style). With Khabib you need to control range, stand your ground, frame him off and pressure him. This isn't really Tony's forte though.

I think it's a good strategy. You just have to face the facts. Against some guys, you are just going to get taken down. Then what?

It seems like guys like Condit work so hard to get better at avoiding getting taken down but still end up on their back with no answer.

Bisping was totally ready for getting taken down and immediately started throwing elbows against GSP and messed him up bad.

Against a guy like Khabib, it's about as good of a strategy as you can have.

That's what I figured his strategy would be and it's not a bad one considering he's going to end up on the mat no matter what.
Yea but to think Khabib is going to get up because he is getting elbowed too much is ridiculous

Might work. Still see tony losing 2 10 8 rounds early as wrll as a 3rd before he tkos khabib in the 4th.
How is khabib going to get an early 10-8 round? Khabib might be on top of Ferguson for all of rounds 1 and 2, but khabib won't be hurting him.

Eddie Bravo is a clown. His advice will turn Tony into George Sotiropoulos 2.0.​

You really think Eddie Bravo is game planning around 1 submittion? They're going to throw the entire textbook of 10th planet bjj at khabib & it will glorious & fun, can't wait!!!

if Tony slices him up early from the bottom things will get REALLY interesting

We've really never seen Khabib overcome adversity, unless you count being clipped a couple times by MJ

It's not a bad gameplan. Khabib will be leaking blood everywhere before the second round is over.

Now the question is will that wear Khabib down or just infuriate him?

Easier said than done. It's gonna be a bitch to control Khabib's posture. It's going to be tough to land elbows from the bottom against Khabib's style. He floats on you. He rides your movements. He doesn't stay static. He doesn't stay close enough for elbows.

If Tony can actually control Khabib's posture and land elbows, his strategy might work if he can manage to get some cuts out of it. I just don't see Khabib giving Tony the range to land anything meaningful from guard.

Tony has a puncher's chance in this fight IMO.

He should be practicing from his back as much as possible, but he should be planning to keep it on the feet. If his plan is to give up the takedown, he's about to lose.

So his plan. Is to fight in guard and land elbows off his back....

He should be practicing from his back as much as possible, but he should be planning to keep it on the feet. If his plan is to give up the takedown, he's about to lose.
He wont be on his back.. hell be on his side pressed against the cage struggling to get his arms free

What would you suggest? If he went into the fight expecting to be able to stop the takedown, that would be exceedingly stupid

Exactly.

Bravo mentioned before how everyone wastes so much energy trying to get back up after Khabib takes them down. Tony is comfortable and offensive off his back.

This is such an amazing fight

Exactly.

Bravo mentioned before how everyone wastes so much energy trying to get back up after Khabib takes them down. Tony is comfortable and offensive off his back.

This is such an amazing fight
On paper its an amazing fight. Hopefully it plays out that way.

That's pretty much exactly what Tony and Eddie have been saying. We'll see how it goes.

That's what I figured his strategy would be and it's not a bad one considering he's going to end up on the mat no matter what.
Yeah. I could see Tony landing that sub too... but I hope a bunch of fists land in his face and he loses instead.

Khabib is coming in with something to prove. Tony's overconfidence will play right into it. Khabib by GnP TKO round 3.

I think it's a good strategy. You just have to face the facts. Against some guys, you are just going to get taken down. Then what?

It seems like guys like Condit work so hard to get better at avoiding getting taken down but still end up on their back with no answer.

Bisping was totally ready for getting taken down and immediately started throwing elbows against GSP and messed him up bad.

Against a guy like Khabib, it's about as good of a strategy as you can have.

I get what your saying, but Condit was a bad example because he had one of the most dangerous guard games in the division for years. Most people would take him down, and them jump out of his guard because he was cutting them up or throwing up submissions.

You just can't expect to win by playing the guard game against guys like Maia, and khabib.

Last edited:
Awful gameplan. Khabib is more likely to gas the more time he has to spend on the feet, and the more he has to fight for the takedown. If you give it to him easy he has to do less work. Also I don't care how good Tony's cardio is, if he allows himself to be in the bottom eating shots it will absolutely effect him.

Back