Robert Whittaker vs. Luke Rockhold Targeted For UFC 221 In Perth, Australia (Poll)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
i used to be a rockhold fan

he was the last legit MW champ

but he is a disgrace for the sport since he lost to bipsing, all this paperbelt bullshit is his fault

BOOOO. BS that Whittaker has to defend an interim belt. That said, this is a very interesting fight. I'm rooting for Whittaker, who can KO Rockhold if his TDD holds.
It will likely be promoted to the real belt and GSP stripped, so its no big deal.

If they won't strip GSP they need to convert his title to interim, since he's the one that's out, and make Whitaker the real champ.

Big fan of Robert, but I think Luke takes this via submission.

I was so surprised to see how shitty his striking defense looked against Branch. You'd think he'd learned after getting fucked up by Bisping and losing his belt.

I'm sure he will try and take Whittaker down but wrestling has never been Rockhold's strong-suit and if Whittaker was able to stuff Romero all night on a bum knee, I don't see Rockhold having much success in that department.

I wasn't. He and Weidman have always been that way. They're Alovski-esque backing up and defensively.

As for Whitaker, I agree about the takedown defense and Rockhold's offensive wrestling, but Luke is much better than him if he actually gets him down.

If he gets Whittaker's back flat to the mat he will, Rockhold's control from the top is nutso. Weidman and Branch are legit as fuck on the ground and got owned over there. But Whittaker's defensive wrestling in open space and against the cage is so elite I doubt it ever comes to that.

Like I said before, Luke's bjj is excellent, I just don't see him succeeding in getting Whittaker down and keeping him there. (Whittaker ain't gonna throw a retarded half assed spinning shit like Weidman or gas like branch) Maybe if Luke rocks him badly with a strike first, which is possible.

I'd give Luke a grappling edge, Whittaker a slight striking edge and perhaps a slight edge in dictating where the fight takes place, due more to speed and balance than to pure wrestling.

It is a good matchup, I think either guy could win. I tend to favor Whittaker because in my opinion Rockhold needs certain things to happen to gain a clear advantage where I think Whittaker has a speed advantage and could probably fight "his fight".

I hope the fight happens, it is an interesting matchup.

That is an unreasonable stance, he just fought a month ago.

Unreasonable my ass, we all knew going into the fight he had no intention of defending against mw's. At this point he's just keeping Knuckles from making legit title defenses.

I wasn't sure whether to take your seriously or not haha
Haha nah I honestly remember him winning three straight, then looked and thought ah yeah he lost threw straight... Haha

I
Shame on you for forgetting dees tings
source.gif
I know.. I hold my hands up lmao

I am going with Whittaker. I don't see Rockhold taking him down, also Rockhold will gas.
If it's not 1st round it will be in 3rd.

Whittaker via whatever he feels like.

GSP Vs Woodley next summer then !!

I doubt it. It's hard to have faith in GSP taking any difficult fights after the shit he pulled.

Look for him to challenge the smaller Conor.

But if Luke gets him down... it’s over.
Almost everyone doesn't see that happening...If he can stuff Yoel,he can possibly stuff everyone. The man is a fucking beast. Has to be a random trip or something

I think Whittaker wins but the real deadly part of Rockhold's game is his top control is a MF'er. As long as Bobby Knuckles can keep it standing he is probably golden.
If you can keep Yoel at bay I think he will be ok
Although I'm with you, Luke is a nightmare on the ground

Bisping and GSP both fear the Reaper.

Why luke though lol

Who else?

Romero? Rob beat him already

Jacare? Rob beat him already

Weidman? One win in four fights

Brunson? Could work, hasnt beat any top guys though. Cant see how he deserves it more than Luke

Kelvin? Juat lost to Weidman, who has three losses in four fights

Bisping? He already ducked Whittaker lol

Luke is now saying no to yoel based on from what he said on the mma hour show because yoel doesn't have the belt so there's no point

Well, before Luke fought Branch and before Yoel fought Whittaker, Yoel only wanted a 3 round fight with Rockhold. Yoel said he wouldn't take the fight if it was 5 rounds.

Yoel would lose to Luke anyways in a 5 rounder, he clearly knows it, and chances are they would have made it a Fox or FN main event so Yoel wouldnt have taken it anyways.

Luke wants a belt, and as hypocritical as it is, Yoel is now coming off a loss and Rockhold was still hopeful he could get a title shot with some campaigning and it worked.

Back