Media Robert Whittaker Says "He'd Beat Dricus Du Plessis 9 Times out of 10" and He's "Just A Better Fighter Than He Is"

Yeah it's a glass half-full argument, though i gotta say Yoel never REALLY used his wrestling or grappling effectively in any of his fights.

Though what you said is correct obviously the grapplers need to level up as well to get there to beat them in MW which they rarely have ever gotten(since Rockhold/Weidman). At least until Khamzat more than likely if his cardio can even last 5 rounds.
Yoel was truly Hendo 2.0. Both former Olympic wrestlers with strong chins who found out they hit hard and pretty much abandoned their wrestling after their first few years in MMA.

To be fair Yoel outwrestled a guy with very solid TDD in Tavares.

For the rest, he mostly fought guys with extremely good TDD during the peak of his career

Rob has gotten increasingly delusional as he’s gone on. Thinking he somehow won the second Adesanya fight when he was point fighting and scared to engage and now this - not a good look. He’s lucky the majority of mma media/fans will run cover for these statements because they like him.

I had that kinda feeling after their fight BUT after the Strickland fight…… I’m definitely not so sure about that. DDP is legit.

Not really a fan of fighters saying stuff like this when they've won zero times out of one. I understand promoting yourself and angling for a rematch, but find an angle that isn't immediately flimsy, at least.

when you're literally a top 5 in your weight class, yes, they believe they're the best in the world. maybe the fighters you know, aren't going to be world class professional fighters, and that's fine, but if you're so dedicated to the sport that you've literally BEEN the champion of the world before and have been in the top 3 for years, you're gonna have a different mind set than your average fighter.
so you don't think bobby could be realistic about it and keep fighting because it's what he does?

lots and lots of former champions fight for years after they're not the top dog anymore. it's how they provide for their families.

Rob had a lot of good moments in that fight. He could definitely win a rematch but they definitely are closely matched.

I kinda agree. Maybe not 9 times out of 10 but if they rematched I'd favor Whittaker.
Ya, who knows? Rob honestly doesn’t exactly have a granite chin and DDP seems to hit pretty hard.

To be fair Yoel outwrestled a guy with very solid TDD in Tavares.

For the rest, he mostly fought guys with extremely good TDD during the peak of his career
The problem is that in some of his fights he didn't even attempt to take them down or tried once and completely abandoned it.

It's the slightly the same with Henry Cejudo whose primarily become a striker who very rarely shoots for takedowns.

We'll see though, as DDP's next fight is probably gonna be Israel for which he should shoot on from the jump and Rob's is against just a straight brawler in Costa.

DDP has the least convincing title win of the last decade. At least Strickland won the belt by dominating Adesanya in convincing fashion and not squeeking by in a contentious decision. DDP is a flash in the pan and will be irrelevant in 2 years. Quote that.

Rob is 33 now so arguably a bit passed his absolute peak which I think was from 2020 to 2022 - the Darren Till fight to the Marvin Vettori fight in which he went 4 wins vs 1 loss . The loss being in the rematch vs Adesanya in a well fought bout but losing by decision .

I just don't think he beats Dricus ever who is 3 years younger with less fights and just has more in the tank and probably more desire. Styles make fights and Rob relies more on finesse than brutal clubbing power that Dricus has . Dricus has that pressure style that gets to fighters and Rob is just out-gunned by the power and the better chin Dricus has .

Still he has had a great career and fought for the Middleweight belt twice against Adesanya. I would have advised retirement after the most recent loss but looks like he will be fighting Costa in a few weeks.
Bruh he was literally champ. His prime was Brunson to Romero 2.

Whittaker was winning the first 4 min of the 1st round before he got taken down, and was winning the 2nd round until he got clipped.

It's strange how so many believe he had nothing for DDP.

So he was winning the first round.....until he lost it

And he was winning the second round.....until he lost it, and the fight.

Never change sherdog

I dont agree.

I think Whittaker is on the decline

DDP is better than people think he is

Africanus is on the come up.

So he was winning the first round.....until he lost it

And he was winning the second round.....until he lost it, and the fight.

Never change sherdog
A few others with poor reading comprehension have replied with the same response.

I'll bet you thought you were being pretty original

<1>

A few others with poor reading comprehension have replied with the same response.

I'll bet you thought you were being pretty original

<1>

idc if i am or not, i see funny comments on here and laugh and poke fun

you being so defensive about it pretty much confirms it wasnt about reading comprehension lol

idc if i am or not, i see funny comments on here and laugh and poke fun

you being so defensive about it pretty much confirms it wasnt about reading comprehension lol
I was just laughing and poking fun at funny comment too.....

You taking it like I was being defensive pretty much confirms it was about reading comprehension, which it was lol

Prime Bobby would've eaten present day DDP‘s best shots and returned with interest, now not so much. The beast named Yoel has damaged several fighters with career altering beating, Weidman, Whittaker, even Costa wasn’t the same guy. I digress, Robert hasn’t come to terms that he isn’t the same guy and likely in his decline.

DDP has the least convincing title win of the last decade. At least Strickland won the belt by dominating Adesanya in convincing fashion and not squeeking by in a contentious decision. DDP is a flash in the pan and will be irrelevant in 2 years. Quote that.
strickland backpedal for 4.5 rds
ate alot of heavy kick and punches
he was basically surviving

i know thats your opinion

but most fighters and mma websites thought ddp as the winner
this shouldnt even be a debate

Back