Robert O'Neill, the SEAL who killed Bin Laden, calls Trump's military parade "third world BS"

Have to disagree with you here.

A retired NFL player's analysis on a game plan has credibility because he can draw from his expertise.
Just like a Navy SEAL's analysis on a BATTLE PLAN would have credibility.

But a more apt analogy here would be a retired NFL player giving his opinion on kneeling for the national anthem, or on the price of tickets. It's a political opinion.

I'm a Border Patrol Agent, but that shouldn't give me extra political clout to decide on the fate of dreamers.

Disagree. When you have personally been involved in something you usually know and experience things about that, that average people don't.

As a former military member myself I'm well aware what a pain in the ass large ceremonies are, and there is almost always an inversely proportional relationship between a soldier's interest in pomp and circumstance and their actual capabilities.

We used to call them "Garrison warriors," guys who were useless out in the field but back on base they were all about enforcing the uniform rules and regulations and making a show of marching in formation.

So while you may see this as a national pride thing, any military member who isn't a shitbag sees it as what it is -- a shitbag (Trump) in charge looking for an ego boost. Because we've seen it over and over again and you haven't.

Disagree. When you have personally been involved in something you usually know and experience things about that, that average people don't.

As a former military member myself I'm well aware what a pain in the ass large ceremonies are, and there is almost always an inversely proportional relationship between a soldier's interest in pomp and circumstance and their actual capabilities.

We used to call them "Garrison warriors," guys who were useless out in the field but back on base they were all about enforcing the uniform rules and regulations and making a show of marching in formation.

So while you may see this as a national pride thing, any military member who isn't a shitbag sees it as what it is -- a shitbag (Trump) in charge looking for an ego boost. Because we've seen it over and over again and you haven't.

That's usually how it is though. The best warriors are usually the ones who don't require any theatrical displays around their capabilities.

But we ought to acknowledge that 90% of military is theater at this point, and around 10% is the actual capacity to function. Increasingly so, as we go forward. Nobody wants to fight, everybody wants to appear like they can fight, so that they won't have to.

Military parades and the other bullshit plays a big part into that. In many ways we, in the West atleast, are turning into those New World natives, for whom war was mostly a theatrical show of power and dominance, not an act of actual violence and murder. Until the conquistadors came along, then war got "real" once again.

no body, no kill.
I agree with the overall sentiment that military parades are the kind of thing I'd expect from North Korea or the Soviet Union, not the US of A.

But the fact that this guy killed Bin Laden doesn't really give his political opinion any extra credibility.
BTW, he also said this: "Yes. Third World. If Russia or France were powerful enough to take over the world, they would. We are yet we don’t. That’s called First World."

Just what in the holy hell is he talking about?

ya i'd definitely disagree with him there. The US is not powerful enough to "take over the whole world". At least not in the traditional sense. The US is powerful enough to influence the whole world and dominate world trade which some people might equate with taking over the world.

If the US was literally strong enough to take-over the whole world and control it, they would. Just like China or "France" lol.

Military parades (for example by Russia or North Korea) have a pretty big viewership in social media nowadays. Russia has clearly integrated its military parades and other shows of strength, into serving as foreign propaganda that enhances their portrayal as a military super-power that doesn't suffer from internal divisions (which is far from true, in actuality, but that is the portrayal). Same goes for North Korea. Nobody actually thinks that these parades are intended for the domestic populations, who are well brain-washed already. They're a part of foreign policy, to establish their military might to the rest of the world.

We can continue to say that America is "above that", but it appears that they sometimes have more trouble establishing themselves as a threat, than the likes of Russia or even North Korea. Even though Russia and North Korea haven't partaken in a formal war for decades, and are realistically probably in shambles if they ever attempted the feat. People still continue to believe in the myth of their military strength, regardless.

China held their largest military parade in 2015, at a time when the economy was slowing, there was rising social tensions, ethnic unrest and in breaking with their tradition of only having the parades once a decade to commemorate the founding of the PRC. The parade was part of a massive nationalist propaganda campaign.
I don't think they did it for youtube views.

That's usually how it is though. The best warriors are usually the ones who don't require any theatrical displays around their capabilities.

But we ought to acknowledge that 90% of military is theater at this point, and around 10% is the actual capacity to function. Increasingly so, as we go forward. Nobody wants to fight, everybody wants to appear like they can fight, so that they won't have to.

Military parades and the other bullshit plays a big part into that. In many ways we, in the West atleast, are turning into those New World natives, for whom war was mostly a theatrical show of power and dominance, not an act of actual violence and murder. Until the conquistadors came along, then war got "real" once again.

Idk. I mean the last real US military operation that felt like it was mostly for a show of power was the initial Iraq invasion in 2003. I was there and I can tell you that besides the adrenaline/war junkies (who weren't the type to like parades), the Garrison warrior crowd was definitely the most eager for it. Most US operations since then have been pretty under the radar.

But I could see the more "showy" operations returning the longer Trump stays in office, Republican presidents usually seem more eager to role play that they're general MacArthur their democratic counterparts.

China held their largest military parade in 2015, at a time when the economy was slowing, there was rising social tensions, ethnic unrest and in breaking with their tradition of only having the parades once a decade to commemorate the founding of the PRC. The parade was part of a massive nationalist propaganda campaign.
I don't think they did it for youtube views.

Based on that article, he had obviously wanted to send an international message of some sort, but it didn't work, as he basically got snubbed. But of course, there are some countries that use parades mostly for national purposes. I don't think Russia or North Korea are necessarily among them. They are a part of foreign policy as much as they are a part of domestic policy.

Though billed as a commemoration of the war’s end, the holiday has been carefully conceived to project Mr. Xi’s vision for a “rejuvenated” China: a rising military power that will stand up to rivals — most notably Japan and its main ally, the United States. But the turn to the past has left the party open to criticism that it is manipulating the history of the war to overstate the Communist role in ending Japan’s 14-year occupation of parts of China.

The guest list for the parade on Thursday is also a potential embarrassment, as the leaders of many of the nations that fought Japan or suffered Japanese aggression turned down invitations. President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia and President Park Geun-hye of South Korea will be in the viewing stands at Tiananmen Square, but top officials from the United States, Australia, Indonesia and several other countries in the region will not.

The turnout robs Mr. Xi of international prestige to make the event more credible, and suggests he may have misjudged the anxiety across Asia over rising Chinese nationalism. Washington has expressed unease with the parade’s demonization of Japan, saying it would prefer that China hold a forward-looking event that promotes reconciliation and healing.

Based on that article, he had obviously wanted to send an international message of some sort, but it didn't work, as he basically got snubbed. But of course, there are some countries that use parades mostly for national purposes. I don't think Russia or North Korea are necessarily among them. They are a part of foreign policy as much as they are a part of domestic policy.

Western leaders have always snubbed these displays. They've boycotted the Russian Victory Day parades when tensions are strained as well (since the situation in the Ukraine developed).
Trump's foreign policy is incredibly weak. Everything he does is essentially for self promotion and primarily for domestic consumption.
In terms of the foreign policy aspects, they are minimal and obvious. Just look at France, letting Indian troops lead their parade when they wanted to sell them Rafale jets and inviting Trump and letting Americans lead when NATO and military spending was questioned. Compare that to the domestic politics of rising nationalism from Le Pen and the attacks last Bastille Day. I don't think there's going to be any large contingent of foreign consumption for Japan's military parades either (maybe a few desperate weeabos). Shinzo Abe's resurgence of Japanese nationalism (and nationalist populism) is something else aimed largely at domestic consumption (as with his visit to the Yasukuni Shrine).

Last edited:

Well said.

ironic considering he parades his words on amazon and barnes n noble every day.

wasnt that supposed to be against his ethos?

America's wars of aggression are what is truthfully "third world shit".

A military parade is a defensive action, a message of "look at how strong we are, don't fuck with us", which is surely why it doesn't appeal to this Navy SEAL. He just want to go out there and randomly kill some more third worlders, with a surprise attack, after playing the pacifist card for a couple of more years.

America needs to learn how to "carry a big stick" once again, instead of looking like a bunch of pussies after their wars, pretending that they're pacifist, then going full crazy with a massive invasion again, to save face.

Crazies like Osama Bin Laden would've been kept in check if he hadn't come to think that America had turned weak and flaccid. A couple of military parades and some tough-talk on the part of the President, goes a long way into solving that problem. That's mostly what is enough to keep third world bandit groups like ISIS from forming. If they had known in the first place that they were going to be squashed like a bug, you would've never even heard of them.

Military parade reeks of insecurity. If anything it makes the US look weaker.

Western leaders have always snubbed these displays. They've boycotted the Russian Victory Day parades when tensions are strained as well (since the situation in the Ukraine developed).
Trump's foreign policy is incredibly weak. Everything he does is essentially for self promotion and primarily for domestic consumption.
In terms of the foreign policy aspects, they are minimal and obvious. Just look at France, letting Indian troops lead their parade when they wanted to sell them Rafale jets and inviting Trump and letting Americans lead when NATO and military spending was questioned. Compare that to the domestic politics of rising nationalism from Le Pen and the attacks last Bastille Day. I don't think there's going to be any large contingent of foreign consumption for Japan's military parades either (maybe a few desperate weeabos). Shinzo Abe's resurgence of Japanese nationalism (and nationalist populism) is something else aimed largely at domestic consumption (as with his visit to the Yasukuni Shrine).
Trump's ego wants pomp and ceremony because people can't but notice he will be the center of it all. If and when such a parade takes place, the media will focus on Trump, because he will be in some kind of special area/box waving or saluting as service personnel pass by.

Military parades don't make you appear strong. They aren't even done for international consumption. With the exception of veterans parades and the evolution of France's historical parade, they are just that old school, flag waving patriotism and tubthumping nationalism/jingoism for local consumption.
This country needs a shot of patriotism.

I blame the hell out of him because he was supposed to be a Quiet Professional. His former teammates do not answer his phone calls, texts, or invite him to unit functions anymore. That is the price of being in the spotlight. Hope it was worth it, Rob.

Really ? That would sting.

And who better to usher it in than President Bone Spurs.
I don't see how it matters. You sort of confirm to me that your issue isn't the parade idea but who's idea it is.

I don't see how it matters. You sort of confirm to me that your issue isn't the parade idea but who's idea it is.

Who else would have had that idea though, it is an inextricable issue.

Back