Elections Right-wing Bolsonaro wins Brazil presidential race

Fair trial is in order for sure.. but the chair or lethal injection is too quick. Better to hog tie him and leave him in the desert for a few weeks.

It is a good thing our laws are not based upon vengeance.

Would like to have your opinion about something that is happening right now @Ruprecht Rio de Janeiro just elected a governor with thougher stance on crime, he is saying anybody carrying rifles will be shot by police snipers. What is your stance on this?

Mind that rifles are not allowed by civilian population, that anybody carrying a rifle in a favela is committing a crime that has no bail, today Favelas are taken by crime and factions open carry rifles up and down, he intends to kill anybody carrying rifles.

Is this Witzel? Strange for a lawyer and former Judge to forego procedural justice, effectively in favour of martial law. If it's not an over reaction or empty "tough on crime" political rhetoric, it's an admission of a complete failure to administer law and order.
I thought Brazil was more developed than that.

This is an interesting read. I learned a lot about Brazil from reading through these comments. Brazil has so much potential to even be a superpower. It's a country of 200 million people and has so much potential for growth. It's interesting though that out of the countries with those kinds of potential, the BRIC group, only China is really following through on it.

Last edited:
Your belief of what is right or wrong is not based on any fact or provable thing. Its an opinion that varies greatly depending on what ideology you follow or where you are in the world.

Of course. People operate under different moral systems. Some people have none at all.
Obviously there are torturers, and there are people that believe torture is always wrong.
That doesn't change the connection between favourable views on torture and authoritarianism.

By the way, Bolsonaro's Secretary of Treasury/Economic Affairs is going to be Paulo Guedes, he has a PhD from University of Chicago in Economics and studied together with the so called "Chicago Boys". He is largely inspired by Chile's economic boom, and is promising a lot of liberal measures in the economy, such as privatizations, less taxes etc. I hope they can pull it off

Energy should be a state controlled thing as should always healthcare per constitution. And military matters and railroads. Other things ehh vary.
No he shouldn't. Quickly executed after a fair trial? Perhaps.

Hang him or stone him. Lethal injection is too nice. And shooting someone is too respectful. Execution by firing squad is almost always reserved for military matters or war. Scumbags get hanged. Evil should be burned though in my opinion.

To my understanding most of the people around Bolsonaro are developmentalists, so basically economically leftists.

Correct.

Bolsonaro himself has always been a developmentalist, nationalist and defender of big government and State workers' privileges. His supposed conversion to free market liberalism is recent, like a few years ago when he began campaigning for presidency.

His staff is at a constant state of tug of war, with Paulo Guedes pulling towards economic liberalism and the military branch with the old nationalism and protectionist behaviour..

I hope Witzel goes forward with his sniper idea, if he does i'll gladly vote for him in 2022.

War Witzel

wilson-witzel-com-um-fuzil-de-longo-alcance-utilizado-por-snipers-imagem-reproducaoyoutube_2133517.jpg

Is this Witzel? Strange for a lawyer and former Judge to forego procedural justice, effectively in favour of martial law. If it's not an over reaction or empty "tough on crime" political rhetoric, it's an admission of a complete failure to administer law and order.
I thought Brazil was more developed than that.

Its Witzel, I´m on the fence about it.

Being realistic you can´t allow criminals to take over and open carry but at the same time you could enforce law and arrest these criminals. But I think we are over that point, Rio is just a mess.

o-mecanismo.png

All of you guys that don't have a clue about the damage the PT did to Brazil can watch this show on netflix: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6873658/
That’s a fucking interesting show. Binge watched all episodes the day it was released, been waiting for season 2 ever since. The director of the show is awesome, he also said that he’d be interested to make many seasons.

Correct.

Bolsonaro himself has always been a developmentalist, nationalist and defender of big government and State workers' privileges. His supposed conversion to free market liberalism is recent, like a few years ago when he began campaigning for presidency.

His staff is at a constant state of tug of war, with Paulo Guedes pulling towards economic liberalism and the military branch with the old nationalism and protectionist behaviour..

Yeah, when i read about it i guess my outlook on Brazil kind of changed, the threat of authoritarianism is alive and well if they push out economic liberty in favor of developmentalism.

I guess i owe @Jackie Blue a sort of apology there, Bolsonaro is indeed a threat.

I wonder if a developmentalist Bolsonaro would go well with @Trotsky.

Yeah, when i read about it i guess my outlook on Brazil kind of changed, the threat of authoritarianism is alive and well if they push out economic liberty in favor of developmentalism.

I guess i owe @Jackie Blue a sort of apology there, Bolsonaro is indeed a threat.

Absolutely no problem. I still feel like I learned something from you and others in this thread even if we don't completely or even mostly agree. I try to keep an open mind and learn things and not be an ideologue. I know I piss off some people on both sides here, but no hard feelings. You might be interested in hearing Glenn Greenwald's take on Bolsonaro. I don't really agree with Greenwald on everything, and some people might dismiss him because he's a leftist, he's gay and his husband is an elected official with the opposing party in Brazil, but I think his commentary is actually pretty measured and he's an intelligent guy who's pretty knowledgeable about both American and Brazilian politics (he's been living there full time for a long time now). Take it with a grain of salt, I guess, but I found it interesting.

Sorry but there is zero evidence that "his staff is at a constant state of tug of war". In fact he is trying to approve the social security reform already this year, and that's before he's sworn in. Bolsonaro only spent 17 years in the military, even inside the army he is known more as a politician than as one of them. Not withstanding, the stock market has been excited about his posture after the election

4lNKOZH.png

Was talking to my wife about it, basically the choice was between this dude who won vs a dude who was literally running as the surrogate for jailed former president Lula. There's only two choices on the ballot.

Much like the US elections, this was a choice between stinky shit and stinkier shit.

Sorry but there is zero evidence that "his staff is at a constant state of tug of war".

There is plenty of evidence of it. In fact almost everyday, even before the elections, you can see in the news Paulo Guedes throwing hellbows left and right at the rest of the team, like he did to Onyx Lorenzoni two days ago.

As an example, Guedes said he would privatize all state companies. Bolsonaro later had to retract from that and said that the federal government should keep the "strategic" companies of aviation, banking and energy sectors. Every day you can see similar instances of they going back and forth.

Glenn Greenwald's take on Bolsonaro. I don't really agree with Greenwald on everything, and some people might dismiss him because he's a leftist, he's gay and his husband is an elected official with the opposing party in Brazil, but I think his commentary is actually pretty measured and he's an intelligent guy who's pretty knowledgeable about both American and Brazilian politics (he's been living there full time for a long time now)
No, it's not measured at all, this guy just spams leftist propaganda and fake news, he's a piece of shit who should stop writing about our country.

Back