Elections Right-wing Bolsonaro wins Brazil presidential race

phoenixikki

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
195674258-wahl-brasilien-2018-jair-bolsonaro-Mo7p0qBeeNG.jpg

Jair Bolsonaro, far-right lawmaker and presidential candidate of the Social Liberal Party (PSL), poses with his wife Michelle as they arrive to cast their votes, at a polling centre in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil October 28, 2018. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes/Pool

BRASILIA (Reuters) - Former Army captain Jair Bolsonaro won Brazil’ presidential election on Sunday, riding a wave of frustration over corruption and crime that brought a dramatic swing to the right in the world’s fourth-largest democracy, official results show.
With 94 percent of the ballots counted, Bolsonaro had 56 percent of the votes in the run-off election against left-wing hopeful Fernando Haddad of the Workers Party (PT), who had 44 percent, according to the electoral authority TSE.
Bolsonaro’s rise has been propelled by rejection of the leftist PT that ran Brazil for 13 of the last 15 years and was ousted two years ago in the midst of a deep recession and political graft scandal.

Bolsonaro by RNC is now the new Rickson by Arm Bar;)

tenor.gif

Fuck off leftists scum!

While he seems like a reprehensible human being and I would rather him not be in power. I don't agree with people labelling this as bad for democracy because people voted for the guy they didn't like.

Good luck Brazil and Bolsonaro.

Yeah, crazy that any Far-Right party/politician gets into power in 2018.

I get we have right and left, but far right? what the fuck is far right in Brazil anyway? its a country with more ethnic backgrounds than people :)

Looks like Brazil may have a chance to survive the leftist attempt to take the world down.

Sounds like the typical autocratic dictator. Good luck Brazil.

What makes him "far right" ?
+ Gun ownership
+ Harsh penalties for criminals
+ Favors privatization
+ Supports family, christianity and nationalism

Also:
  • Openly praises and reminisces about the former military dictatorship
  • Openly praises and encourages extrajudicial killings and violations of due process
  • Openly opposes separation of church and state
  • Wants to massively privatize the Brazilian economy, moving toward a more upwardly distributional system by which rich Brazilians and regional oligarchs previously benefited (and still do) and poor and middle class Brazilians suffered prior to economic reforms.
  • Has repeatedly demonized homosexuals, said he could not love a gay son, and has fear mongered about gay acceptance poisoning Brazilian culure
  • Openly advocates for state torture
  • Openly disparages democracy and the usefulness of democratic institutions
  • Has given speeches declaring that members of PT (another Brazilian party) should be killed
  • Is generally incompetent and unintelligent on matters of policy - sadly this is becoming the definitive hallmark of right-wing insurgents.
  • Completely inconsistent, contradictory, and alarmingly unprincipled economic policies (very reminiscent of Trump, Erdogan, Duterte, Mussolini, Hitler) that are based entirely on shifting and uninformed rhetoric.

Also:
  • Openly praises and encourages extrajudicial killings and violations of due process
  • Wants to massively privatize the Brazilian economy, moving toward a more upwardly distributional system by which rich Brazilians and regional oligarchs previously benefited (and still do) and poor and middle class Brazilians suffered prior to economic reforms.
  • Has repeatedly demonized homosexuals, said he could not love a gay son, and has fear mongered about gay acceptance poisoning Brazilian culure
  • Has given speeches declaring that members of PT (another Brazilian party) should be killed
  • Is generally incompetent and unintelligent on matters of policy - sadly this is becoming the definitive hallmark of right-wing insurgents.
Fake News red.
Now it isn't time for posting CNN lies, you can go to bed and sleep where it's warm.

Also:
He also blames China for trying to take over important Brazilian industries and is threatening a trade war despite the fact that trade with China has lifted millions of Brazilians out of poverty.

Fake News red.
Now it isn't time for posting CNN lies, you can go to bed and sleep where it's warm.

What's fake news? I realize engaging in actual specifics isn't really your kind's way of doing things, but you can't just say "fake news" without saying what is fake and expect anyone to be persuaded.

Fake News red.
CNN has nothing to do with allegations Trotsky just mentioned, these allegations are from Brazilian media.

Yeah, crazy that any Far-Right party/politician gets into power in 2018.

I get we have right and left, but far right? what the fuck is far right in Brazil anyway? its a country with more ethnic backgrounds than people :)
Reuters applies the term far right rather loosely. Not saying they are wrong this time, but I'd take it with a grain of salt. I don't know much about Bolsonaro. On the one hand he's got a lot of the right enemies, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement. He's got his work cut out for him trying to reduce crime and corruption in Brazil.

While he seems like a reprehensible human being and I would rather him not be in power. I don't agree with people labelling this as bad for democracy because people voted for the guy they didn't like.

Good luck Brazil and Bolsonaro.
Its really not that simple. Brazil had a twenty year military dictatorship within living memory(1964-1985) and this guy is a former captain with a former general as his VP. He has been on record praising that period and even praised one of the more notorious torturers by name. There's very good reason to be uneasy about the future of democracy when a guy like that wins.

Back