Rick and Morty season 3 discussion

Agreed on all counts. I even got emotional when the evil Morty theme started at the end. The episode is full of Easter eggs and stuff that will most likely pick up in next episodes. I really like the Evil Morty arc, now I have to go compare this one with the other Evil Morty episode.

I bet there is full of things hidden in between the two, that's what makes the show so great. I have even started to watch "breakdown" videos on YT to catch the stuff I missed. I also watch every episode multiple times.
Part of me thinks that Rick believes Evil Morty is dead-- that he got him killed. It could be darker than that. Maybe Evil Morty finally stood up to Rick over something, and Rick-- while trying to subdue Evil Morty and bend him to his will-- underestimated him, saw things get out of control, and accidentally killed him (I don't buy that even Rick would deliberately kill his own family). This was his true, original Morty. He blames himself for what happened, and that's why he's so cynical, and so resistant to attaching himself to our new Morty.

Meanwhile, Evil Morty somehow survived the ordeal, and when he returned, part Cyborg, he discovered that Rick had replaced him with another Morty. How did Rick do that? Unclear. How he did it could be extremely dark, and is very well the reason for the Council of Ricks came to be. Alternatively, although I can't figure out the logistics of it, I suspect that our Rick was the one who founded the Council of Ricks.

Anyways, back to Rick replacing Morty. I have a hunch this was the first time Rick ever did this. Before, like most of us, he would have been horrified by this detached approach to the individuals between universes. After all, if you don't care about one-- if an individual cannot be special to you-- then you don't really care about any of them. Nobody is special, so nobody is worthy of being cared about. He's broken and nihilistic.

Perhaps this was what attracted him to Unity. If Unity were to take over the universe it would wash away all individuality. If that happens, then it's almost like Evil Morty (who he believes is dead) never existed; because if there is no individuality, then when any one organism belonging to that hive mind dies, it's like he didn't really die. You conquer death. At the heart of this Rick is grappling with the greatest challenge we all face: Death. His nonchalance about walking over corpses between universes-- including his own and his family's-- is a reflection of his inability to cope with death and loss.

The show literally has reinforced the idea over and over that we cannot trust any universe within this multiverse to have integrity. Our own Rick and Morty abandoned their original universe, after all. They don't even inhabit it. They buried the Rick and Morty that belong to it in their backyard. Furthermore, in the episode where Rick fakes out Nathan Fillion in the mind machine with a false origin story it is hinted that Rick did suffer a past trauma. Perhaps it wasn't his wife he blew up, but Evil Morty.

However it happened seeing himself replaced is what broke Evil Morty's belief in Rick. Now his life mission is to see all Ricks neutered of power, and enslaved by their own Mortys. He sees Rick as an oppressive, cankerous, uncaring force against his kind who isn't capable of anything, but that. So Rick must be brought to his knees. He must be torn down.

Of course, there's a potential problem with this theory about Evil Morty being the original Morty, and that's Campaign Manager Morty. He sought to assassinate Evil Morty once he discovered his origin story (the one we don't know, and are speculating about here). This was a Morty who wanted a Morty to be President, but didn't believe that possible. So why would he kill this Morty if he discovered his plans were to overthrow the oligarchy of Ricks? A possible explanation was his reaction to Evil Morty's debate speech. Campaign Morty wants harmony, and less division. He wants reform, not revolution. That's actually a satisfactory explanation.

On the other hand, maybe Evil Morty isn't a Morty at all, and what's what Campaign Manager Morty was trying to reveal to everyone. Maybe he's an android, not a cyborg: purely synthetic. It's possible Rick built him as a coping mechanism, and this is a cautionary tale about not playing God. The AI went rogue, and broke bad. It doesn't just want to enslave all Ricks. Maybe it wants to destroy all Ricks and Mortys.

An alternative explanation is that this Evil Morty is actually a double agent built by the Galactic Federation. He's actually working for them because the Council of Ricks is the only true force in the universe that can keep them in check. I don't really favor this because they've proven to be bumbling idiots so far. They couldn't even pull off what Evil Morty is doing themselves-- much less build a robot capable of it.

I thought it was one of the better episodes of the series

If you don't think movies and TV shows get downvoted and suffer more middling scores when the show's content resonates with a particular political viewpoint, then you're crazy.
I never said that...I'm only giving my thoughts on the last three episodes. I'm not speaking for everyone's viewpoint. I don't give a darn about shady politics...which is why I never go to The War Room.

I thought pickle rick was wack. The only episode i liked this season was the toxic one
To each their own...which one was the toxic one? If it's the one where Morty's arm becomes all buff and murderous, then I like that one too.

Just watched it, and loved it. Probably my favorite episode so far. There are so many different references, and this episode had much more political overtones than the rest. Simple Rick's was great, same with (E) Morty's speech about injustice. I played the mobile game "Pocket Mortys" last year, so the whole Citadel and different Ricks/Mortys thing is great. I liked Willy Wonka Rick. There were a lot of twists and turns in this one, you really didn't know who to trust by the end.

Too bad we never actually got to see the Lost City of Atlantis. Atleast Morty got some of that mermaid puss!

It was pure brilliance, one of the best episodes of the entire series

5/5

Glad to see some people thought it was one of the best yet. Not all episodes are lol funny the entire way through the show gets dark as fuck sometimes. And the evil morty storyline should be awesome.

What's there to get TS? Evil Morty is back and is now the president of the Citadel. It was a great episode and I loved how all the ricks and morty's interacted with each other. I loved this episode and gave it a 10/10. Weakest episode in season 3 has to be pickle Rick imo.

Part of me thinks that Rick believes Evil Morty is dead-- that he got him killed. It could be darker than that. Maybe Evil Morty finally stood up to Rick over something, and Rick-- while trying to subdue Evil Morty and bend him to his will-- underestimated him, saw things get out of control, and accidentally killed him (I don't buy that even Rick would deliberately kill his own family). This was his true, original Morty. He blames himself for what happened, and that's why he's so cynical, and so resistant to attaching himself to our new Morty.

Meanwhile, Evil Morty somehow survived the ordeal, and when he returned, part Cyborg, he discovered that Rick had replaced him with another Morty. How did Rick do that? Unclear. How he did it could be extremely dark, and is very well the reason for the Council of Ricks came to be. Alternatively, although I can't figure out the logistics of it, I suspect that our Rick was the one who founded the Council of Ricks.

Anyways, back to Rick replacing Morty. I have a hunch this was the first time Rick ever did this. Before, like most of us, he would have been horrified by this detached approach to the individuals between universes. After all, if you don't care about one-- if an individual cannot be special to you-- then you don't really care about any of them. Nobody is special, so nobody is worthy of being cared about. He's broken and nihilistic.

Perhaps this was what attracted him to Unity. If Unity were to take over the universe it would wash away all individuality. If that happens, then it's almost like Evil Morty (who he believes is dead) never existed. If there is no individuality, then when on organism dies, it's like he didn't really die. You conquer death. At the heart of this Rick is grappling with the greatest challenge we all face: Death. His nonchalance about walking over corpses between universes-- including his own and his family's-- is a reflection of his inability to cope with death and loss.

The show literally has reinforced the idea over and over that we cannot trust any universe within this multiverse to have integrity. Our own Rick and Morty abandoned their original universe, after all. They don't even inhabit it. They buried the Rick and Morty that belong to it in their backyard. Furthermore, in the episode where Rick fakes out Nathan Fillion in the mind machine with a false origin story it is hinted that Rick did suffer a past trauma. Perhaps it wasn't his wife he blew up, but Evil Morty.

However it happened seeing himself replaced is what broke Evil Morty's belief in Rick. Now his life mission is to see all Ricks neutered of power, and enslaved by their own Mortys. He sees Rick as an oppressive, cankerous, uncaring force against his kind who isn't capable of anything, but that. So Rick must be brought to his knees. He must be torn down.

Of course, there's a potential problem with this theory about Evil Morty being the original Morty, and that's Campaign Manager Morty. He sought to assassinate Evil Morty once he discovered his origin story (the one we don't know, and are speculating about here). This was a Morty who wanted a Morty to be President, but didn't believe that possible. So why would he kill this Morty if he discovered his plans were to overthrow the oligarchy of Ricks? A possible explanation was his reaction to Evil Morty's debate speech. Campaign Morty wants harmony, and less division. He wants reform, not revolution. That's actually a satisfactory explanation.

On the other hand, maybe Evil Morty isn't a Morty at all, and what's what Campaign Manager Morty was trying to reveal to everyone. Maybe he's an android, not a cyborg: purely synthetic. It's possible Rick built him as a coping mechanism, and this is a cautionary tale about not playing God. The AI went rogue, and broke bad. It doesn't just want to enslave all Ricks. Maybe it wants to destroy all Ricks and Mortys.

An alternative explanation is that this Evil Morty is actually a double agent built by the Galactic Federation. He's actually working for them because the Council of Ricks is the only true force in the universe that can keep them in check. I don't really favor this because they've proven to be bumbling idiots so far. They couldn't even pull off what Evil Morty is doing themselves-- much less build a robot capable of it.
I didn't go so deep in analysis! That will require some thinking, I'll rewatch some more.

I've been meaning to get caught up and Rick and Morty. Last episode I saw was the giant-Summer one. I thought it was alright.

I think it's arguably the best of the entire series.
Seconded.

Evil Morty being the candidate was easy to call from the very beginning of the episode, but it's the WAY it all unraveled that still left me speechless.

The second the evil Morty music started playing at the end of the episode I was in disbelief.

The "it was close enough to nearly qualify for a recount" line has to be significant later on, right?

Just watched it, absolutely loved it.

I'm also starting to believe Evil Morty is C137 Rick's original Morty.

Just watched it, absolutely loved it.

I'm also starting to believe Evil Morty is C137 Rick's original Morty.

There are some more recent vids about the theory but they all sound like a bunch of goobers.

Evil Morty is back!

Excellent writing overall combining 4 stories in 22 minutes.

I know it probably wasn't supposed to be funny. I didn't get it though. I just watched it on FB live and others were commenting the same thing. Are we just slow? What did you guys think of the episode?

The Citadel was rebuilt and we get to see it has its own societal problems on various levels despite originally being about providing protection for Ricks and Mortys. Evil Morty runs and wins the Presidency of the Citadel. At this point we're not entirely sure what he's going to do with his newfound power. It wasn't really funny ha-ha, though it had some funny lines.

Fantastic episode.

33nhtgi.gif

What's there to get TS? Evil Morty is back and is now the president of the Citadel. It was a great episode and I loved how all the ricks and morty's interacted with each other. I loved this episode and gave it a 10/10. Weakest episode in season 3 has to be pickle Rick imo.

Yeah I don't even remember the evil Morty episode. I guess I just watch it to be mindlessly entertained.

You're out of your mind. That was one of the best episodes they've ever made. It was ridiculous how dense it was-- how packed with ideas. Of course it's not going to be as highly rated. It was political, so people who even suspect that it was criticizing their politics will downvote the hell out of it.

Also, the first episode of the 3rd season, the one debuted on April's Fool's Day, "The Rickshaw Redemption", is the highest rated episode in the show's history. This season, like the past two, has been unadulterated greatness.

was probably the best episode so far
this season is as dense as half of the poster on sherdog
a straight classic

and finishing with blonde redhead
genius

Don't you mean Mork and Mindy?
Is it still on?

o-MORK-AND-MINDY-facebook.jpg

Always wanted to stick it in Pam Dawber. Leroy Jethro Gibbs beat me out though. Hardly a contest as I was just a lad at the time.

Last edited:
Back