Rick and Morty season 3 discussion

Just finished it. I thought it was freaking hilarious.

The question is rather general. The episode is overtly political. The main themes were class and status. Ultimately, it was about political revolution.

The Morty who became President is the evil Morty from season 1 with the eye patch. That should have been obvious, but they made it concrete when the secretive photos given to Campaign Manager Morty (by Deep Throat Rick) floated in our view at the very end of the episode.

I'd opine that Evil Morty's designs became apparent by the context of this episode.

He doesn't want to kill the original Rick, or even to kill all Ricks (I don't think). He wants to flip the status quo. He sees not just his own universe, but the multiverse as a plague of injustice wherein Morty's are a sub-class of humans who live under the oppression of Rick. His goal is to undermine this natural order, and he started by first deposing, and then slaughtering all the Ricks who represented the Bildenburg-type elites. That's why he dissolved the Hogwarts-like school that did nothing but retrained Mortys (who had lost their own Ricks) to be sidekicks for Ricks who had lost their own Mortys.

Somehow this is going to come back to our original Rick. More and more they are hinting at the truth that Evil Morty is the real original Morty, not the Morty first introduced to us in the series. He has a history with our original Rick. Whatever went wrong between the two of them is what Rick can't get past, and why he continues to wallow in alcoholism and self-hatred.
This is great explanation, good post.

Don't you mean Mork and Mindy?
Is it still on?

o-MORK-AND-MINDY-facebook.jpg
laugh of the day right here. No need to sheepdog anymore. Thank you sir.

Wasn't feeling this season until this episode. This is one of if not the best episode in the series.

Love how they subtle playout the Stand By Me story with the 4 Mortys.

it wasnt very funny though.
I disagree. I laughed my ass off. I don't understand why some of you guys are saying this.

It was black humor: as black as it gets. Either you're into that kind of humor, or you're not. This is as far from Waiting for Guffman as comedy gets.

I disagree. I laughed my ass off. I don't understand why some of you guys are saying this.

It was black humor: as black as it gets. Either you're into that kind of humor, or you're not. This is as far from Waiting for Guffman as comedy gets.
black comedy is my favorite typel ts why i like the show. i didnt laugh very much externally or internally throughout the episode =/

I honestly didn't laugh much during this episode, but that's not to say that I wasn't entertained....

it wasnt very funny though.
You didn't laugh at their versions of The Wire, Stand By Me or Manchurian Candidate? Just the concept of a veteran, crooked Morty cop showing his rookie Rick partner the ropes had me chuckling. The fact that "Simple Rick's" is a cookie flavored by the happy thoughts of Rick taking care of Beth, etc.

There were actually a lot of great quotes in this one. The River Phoenix-Morty had me laughing.

"I'm an experimental Morty built with a drama implant. Do you know how it feels to always be so sad, and kinda boring?"

"You're more than just your implant! You have rolled up sleeves!"

This site says the episode had "9.86 jokes per minute"
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/rick...ason-3-episode-7-calculating-jokes-per-minute

You didn't laugh at their versions of The Wire, Stand By Me or Manchurian Candidate? Just the concept of a veteran, crooked Morty cop showing his rookie Rick partner the ropes had me chuckling. The fact that "Simple Rick's" is a cookie flavored by the happy thoughts of Rick taking care of Beth, etc.

There were actually a lot of great quotes in this one. The River Phoenix-Morty had me laughing.

"I'm an experimental Morty built with a drama implant. Do you know how it feels to always be so sad, and kinda boring?"

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/rick...ason-3-episode-7-calculating-jokes-per-minute
Maybe it's because I'm that obnoxious, tedious, know-it-all jerk who has spent the last year reprimanding all the Bernie, Trump, and Clinton nutjobs when they make these outlandish statements that didn't reflect the election results, but when the one Rick said, "Looks like he got...blown out", and the other Rick says, "It was almost close enough for a recount", and the first Rick groans, "What are you, joke security, now, too?" Slayed.

Earlier, I had a rolling-on-the-floor dry laugh when the Willy Wonka Rick shot the protester in the back of the head, and suddenly I realized I was watching a commercial, and what they had done. The whole time he was walking him out you could just feel there was something more, something off, but I couldn't even locate what solar system I was about to enter. It slayed me. I thought, "Holy crap, that was one of the most creatively brilliant twists I've ever encountered in all of fiction".

How about the opening scene. When Rick said, "You don't have to be a dick!" and the other Rick responded, "I think you know that's not true", I was already howling. I knew it was gonna be a great ride from that moment. I thought, "OMG, I'm so happy it's Sunday."

*Edit* Oh, btw, @The Diplomat, I think the Morty cop character was definitely more Denzel from Training Day than any character from The Wire.

Last edited:

morty cop and roockie probably had the funniest parts. particularly the scene where mortycop went into aww-geeze mode and then tells roockie to get in the fuckin car was probably the only part where i irl lolled.

that's a lot of jokes.. but i just didnt find many of them funny

Was Deep Throat Rick sent by Evil Morty to incriminate himself to Campaing Morty, so he would gain the momentum and win the election? Since they all end up dead in space, it's the most likely scenario.

Last edited:
Was Deep Throat Rick sent by Evil Morty to incriminate himself to Campaing Morty, so he would gain the momentum and win the election? Since they all end up dead in space, it's the most likely scenario.
Definitely possible, but that seems pretty risky. I fired up the show because I thought he was already President at that point, but he wasn't. He was kissing babies.

While rewatching this portion, I noticed something significant. Remember after Cop Morty killed the Loco Mortys, and Cop Rick asks him what happens? "Same old story...Mortys killing Mortys." Then, after Cop Rick kills Cop Morty, and the rest of the police show up asking what happens, he says, "Same old story...Ricks killing Mortys."

At first the only subtext I read into that was racial. "Mortys killing Mortys" referenced black-on-black crime while "Ricks killing Mortys" referenced police-on-black crime. Then I realized it's also a double entendre adumbrating my Evil Morty theory above; that somehow the divisions between Rick & Morty (when they are divided) trace to Rick costing Morty lives.

It was comedy gold filled with awesome lines and meme worthy scenes
'Racist' cop morty stole the show for me though
-get off my car you rickless animal
-got these yellowshirts as riled up as a jessica on picture day

And him 'speaking morty' to the street mortys was brilliant ..aww jeez man
The factory story had such a sweet payoff
And the campaign was just great
'This looks just like a morty baby to me'
Best burn goes to lizzard stand by me morty
Fqt morty:turns out im left handed
Lizzard morty: maybe ur left hand shoulda grabbed more vegtables

Evil Morty is Ricks original Morty no doubt

Exited to see where they go with this

I watched Rick and Morty for the first time last week after my Freind convinced me to give the show a try and good god this show is amazing. Last night I watched the pickle Rick episode and I have to say that's probably one of, if not thee greatest episodes of any show I have ever watched.

I knew if I gave Rick and Morty a try I would eventually find myself laughing but the most surprising thing is how impressive it is. I have never really been good at explaining myself when it comes to these sort of things but the originality and complexity when it comes to the humor and storylines is something I have never seen before in a cartoon. The stories and humor are very well thought out and before watching it, you kind of get the sense that it will just be some sort of comedy for stoners which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm extremely happy I decided to listen to my Freind on this one.

Back