Ricco was robbed against Nogueira!

I heard so.many times how good Minotauro boxing was, trainning with cuban olimpic boxers yadda yadda yadda, but he consistenly ate knuckle sandwiches, blocked fists with his head, and had no power in his punches.

Mir said that he was shocked how bad Nog's boxing was after their first fight (especially his non-existent head movements)

Last edited:
the first rule of pride judging: pride posterboys will beat ufc posterboys if its even debateable who really won

but i did like humes breakdown

Weird how people keep bringing up that fight.

Hendo/Ninja and Page/Busta were much more controversial decisions.
Anyone who has grown up on the Unified Rules would be astonished by Hendo/Ninja. Tons of UFC fighters have won “dominant” decisions doing less than what Ninja did in that fight.

You might be my favorite poster in the heavies. The highlight of any old school thread.

silva%20v%20newton%20celebration.gif

I heard so.many times how good Minotauro boxing was, trainning with cuban olimpic boxers yadda yadda yadda, but he consistenly ate knuckle sandwiches, blocked fists with his head, and had no power in his punches.

Nah, his boxing, speed, and movement were outstanding at one time.
His first fight with Heath Herring is one of the best examples of his boxing.

Obviously he was worn out and way over the hill later on...but if you watch the first Herring fight and then compare that to the first Mir fight, you’ll see a huge difference.

Obviously he was worn out and way over the hill later on...but if you watch the first Herring fight and then compare that to the first Mir fight, you’ll see a huge difference.
not even that the dude was just a zombie in that first mir fight, he even looked better when he fought couture after. not sure if something in the preparations had him messed up but mir landed the same combo at will it was comical

Yeah. PRIDE decided that because tournaments were their main focus no elbows would be across the board.
It'd be too confused to everyone jumping from one rule set to another every other card.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it.
I have heard no elbows because TV broadcasters did not want blood on tv

Much easier to attack subs when your opponent can’t blast you with elbows on the ground.

Ricco was robbed, and prides no elbows on the ground rule was bullshit.

why didn't he improve position and knee or kick him in the head? Those were allowed and he didn't do shit.

As posted earlier itt, refer to one of the judges, Matt Hume, as to why he gave Big Nog the decision.

I used to think that as well due to conditioning and Ricco probably wins that soundly in UFC under unified rules where judges think being on top automatically equals winning. Likely have no concept of guard play. Nog had no issue with the position and he did more work than Ricco.

Just one of the many reasons PRIDE was better.
Correct.

I was thinking exactly that same fight trying to highlight minotauros boxing.
you got that right.
on the other hand, herring was top dog in the hw division before facing the 3 killers, but was basically a wrasler who kicked like a horse, tough but no so skilled fighter

I was thinking exactly that same fight trying to highlight minotauros boxing.
you got that right.
on the other hand, herring was top dog in the hw division before facing the 3 killers, but was basically a wrasler who kicked like a horse, tough but no so skilled fighter

him vs Sergei is a really good one too.

damn totally forgot about that one
gonna re watch it, thanks
kharitonov was game as fuck

this boxing looked great vs Barnett in the 2nd fight as well

this boxing looked great vs Barnett in the 2nd fight as well

gotta watch that obscure pride event again.. i think is the one headlining fedor vs hunt ? bringing back some solid fights, thanks again

the same boxing that lit him up in the 2nd fight
Mir was on skates, still can’t believe he somehow came out of it and got the armbar.

Regardless, Nog was way past it at that point.

gotta watch that obscure pride event again.. i think is the one headlining fedor vs hunt ? bringing back some solid fights, thanks again

obscure? lol, it was Shockwave 06, their NYE event. Gomi vs Ishida on there, Gil vs Kawajiri in pretty much one of the best fights ever, Shogun vs Kaz Nakamura, Aoki vs Hellboy. Prob a few other decent scraps im leaving off but, a very good event nonetheless.

so you use the greatest GNP'er in the history of the sport to make up your argument

<Fedor23>

Fedor isn't the only person who can throw punches and soccer kicks while someone is on the ground. just because everyone else was too afraid to go on the offensive against Nogueira on the ground doesn't mean he wasn't vulnerable.

it's probably more dangerous to go for submissions in Pride than UFC because you could potentially get your guard passed and then eat soccer kicks, knees, stomps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back