Report: UFC 161 & 163 Ratings Flop, Do Under 200k PPV Buys

Not surprised at all. Neither was a great card, and I can also imagine history shows any PPV after 4th of July weekend and before Labory Day weekend tends to do below average numbers. People are enjoying their summers, not sitting at home on a Saturday watching the UFC.

Between sponsorships and 200k buys at $45-55 a pop... I'd be willing to bet you're out of your rabid ass mind if you think they barely broke even.

That's the most ridiculous shit I've seen on Sherdog in awhile, and that's a bold statement.

Edit: oh.. And ticket sales and who knows what else. Zuffa is doing quite well for itsself

Someone went on record as saying that they need something like 180k to break even not factoring in fighter's pay. So yes, they barely broke even with 200k buys. Half of that immediately goes to the cable provider which leaves them with less than 5 million to run a show. Gate revenue was likely low. They have to book the arena, market the fights, produce the show, pay all the employees, hire security, etc. People really don't understand how costly these things are nor do they realize how many expenses there are. I surely don't understand all of them.

Some of you have no clue how expensive it is to put on one of these events. At 200K buys, I'd be willing to bet they barely broke even.

Don't forget they typically make a few million on the gate/live attendance. They're not putting these shows on PPV in empty auditoriums. They probably also make a few extra bucks with the fan expos and pre/post fight events.

Good

Ufc will take note of these and make changes

Why anyone would order any ufc PPVs is beyond me. Total waste of money. I've been a fan of MMA since the first few UFCs came out but none of these cards are worth buying. People seem to forget how stacked Pride cards used to be, even UFC cards, now you get 1 or 2 big name fights and thats about it. I wouldn't even watch most of them for free.

The UFC has been watering down their cards for a while now and I think its starting to catch up. They give us 2 significant fights per card and if we're lucky we'll get 1 or 2 extra pretty cool fights. But the rest of the card is filled with no names, women, and little people.

Hopefully the UFC starts to take note, we're not paying for that shit.

I remember Dana thrashing boxing because they have card with one or two big fights and the rest if mostly filler and that the UFC never would go down that route. Turn out you really shouldn't listen to what he has to say and believe it.

But according to Dana real fight fans will buy anything!

Almost no 'UFC is dying posts', nice. They were poor cards and people didn't buy because of it.

Why anyone would order any ufc PPVs is beyond me. Total waste of money. I've been a fan of MMA since the first few UFCs came out but none of these cards are worth buying. People seem to forget how stacked Pride cards used to be, even UFC cards, now you get 1 or 2 big name fights and thats about it. I wouldn't even watch most of them for free.

You're not a true MMA fan.:rolleyes:

The free cards are better than the PPVs. It's ridiculous to pay $55 for a ppv.

The way some of you fans are reacting is just bizarre, really. I see "Events flop!" and I grow concerned. You see "Events flop!" and it's like you've been offered fellatio you're so excited.

Watering down cards? They put on soooo many more fights now than they ever have. They have a roster of ~400 fighters. Should they -only- book the ~100 with name recognition? Forget everyone else? Make fighters show up with injuries? It's just silly silly thinking. Nostalgia just makes people forget the previous shitty cards.

You're concerned the events aren't making enough money - and that these two events would convince them to alter anything? They've just sent all of the Champions and their contenders on a world tour. I'm pretty sure they've got this.

So many e-accountants just blatantly spewing hypocrisy here.

Some of you have no clue how expensive it is to put on one of these events. At 200K buys, I'd be willing to bet they barely broke even.

That didn't jump out at you and scream "Hey! Stop! You're talking out of your ass!"?

"Some of you have no idea.... Neither do I, but I am so confident in my opinion that I'd put money on it!"

I don't know that this FOX deal has helped them. The channels aren't available to everyone, the extra cards have watered down the PPV cards and then there's always the constant threat of injuries fucking up a good card.

Personally, the UFC should have stream-lined, not main-lined, keep the demand for the product up rather than dilute it, which is what I think they have done.

You add to all this that there are more "bouts" and "matches" than "fights" and you now have a product that is NOT going to appeal to large numbers of potential customers.

The die-hard MMA fans can shout at the rest that they aren't real fans, and that's fine, and probably true for whatever its worth, but 200K PPV buys is what you are going to get.

Someone went on record as saying that they need something like 180k to break even not factoring in fighter's pay. So yes, they barely broke even with 200k buys. Half of that immediately goes to the cable provider which leaves them with less than 5 million to run a show. Gate revenue was likely low. They have to book the arena, market the fights, produce the show, pay all the employees, hire security, etc. People really don't understand how costly these things are nor do they realize how many expenses there are. I surely don't understand all of them.

I'm not economist as I'm sure you aren't either, but I'm pretty sure the Ferrtitas didn't become billionaires by being in the business of breaking even.

I'm not economist as I'm sure you aren't either, but I'm pretty sure the Ferrtitas didn't become billionaires by being in the business of breaking even.

I'm also sure they did not make money on every investment they've ever made. They make money on the big shows and probably barely make out on the smaller ones.

WHy do people keep saying watered down cards? Do you see the cards coming up?

These are two cards that got smashed by injuries and were always expected to be the lowest PPV of the year. But people keep running with this watered down card bullshit.

164 watered down? the Fox cards watered down? 166? 165 167 168, the fight nights? These are watered down cards?

I'm also sure they did not make money on every investment they've ever made. They make money on the big shows and probably barely make out on the smaller ones.

I don't know I'm not fuckin Alan Greenspan. I'm positive they turn a profit on all their events at this point though

Well both cards sucked on paper. 200k buys is still like $9M gross. I think they'll be ok.

The UFC only gets 40% of that. But they are still doing just fine.

Back