Report: UFC 161 & 163 Ratings Flop, Do Under 200k PPV Buys

They would have to be considered relative flops compared to other PPV events. We know currently the biggest draws for casual fans are Jones, GSP, and Silva. People constantly complained about how these cards were terrible on paper it's no surprise. They should stop headlining PPVs with Non title fights it just doesn't cut it anymore. People still aren't too keen on the lower weight classes yet either.

Well both cards sucked on paper. 200k buys is still like $9M gross. I think they'll be ok.

They will be okay, but I remember seeing an article that said they need at least 130-170K PPVs to break even (don't remember the exact number, somewhere in that range). They are barely getting that with some of the cards, so I would say it is a cause for concern.

I didn't expect those numbers that's for sure. Even though 161 was in no way stacked I would've thought Evans and Henderson's names would've have pulled a bigger ceiling. Interesting...

I thought rashad was one of their biggest PPV draws. Now i know why Dana wanted Rousey so bad.

Remember when Dana would tell the fans stop complaining and don't order the PPVs? Self fulfilling prophecy.

Is that a typo? 35k? That has to be one of the lowest UFC PPVs..

Also the reason i believe they keep on putting shows.
They make a profit on all of them.

I think though the more bland cards they put out, the more fans grow apathetic and move on. plus, keeping 8 divisions straight requires dedicated fans (when I started watching there were only 4), so keeping fans interested is important.

a ufc ppv used to be something special, now it is rare that it is.

thats what happens when cards lick balls TS

Both were weak cards. The rest of the year has a stacked line up of PPVs and the numbers will be much higher.

Remember when Dana would tell the fans stop complaining and don't order the PPVs? Self fulfilling prophecy.

Is that a typo? 35k? That has to be one of the lowest UFC PPVs..

Fans realize they vote with their wallets.

one of the things that makes me chuckle about these low PPV numbers is that I just know that Dana White is telling the sponsors "sure - only 200,000 fucking people bought the fucking PPV but like another 500K watched it from fucking streams or downloads"

when people do things that cost you money = criminals

when those same people can be used to make you money = valued customers

I have to say I am not surprised. Listen, I have been a huge MMA fan for many years. There was a time where I did not miss an event, even made excuses to leave work early so I would not miss a fight. We would get a bunch of friends together, drink beers, and watch the UFC.

Now, my passion for the sport has been gone. In the past 2-3 years I have ordered maybe 4 PPV's. And all of them left me feeling, blah.

Zuffa is running the UFC as a business, not as a fan of the sport. This goes for Dana too. It's the Walmart philosophy. They may not have 1.5 milllion PPV buys, but they will have 200k times 20+ events per year. It's about saturation...qauntity over quality. This water downs the sport there is no doubt. But it makes them plenty of money. Plus there's all the TV deals, and other endorsements. So, it's not about the sport...it's about MONEY. Which truly saddens me. But hey, what can you do.

I check in from time to time, but they lost me years ago....

I have to say I am not surprised. Listen, I have been a huge MMA fan for many years. There was a time where I did not miss an event, even made excuses to leave work early so I would not miss a fight. We would get a bunch of friends together, drink beers, and watch the UFC.

Now, my passion for the sport has been gone. In the past 2-3 years I have ordered maybe 4 PPV's. And all of them left me feeling, blah.

Zuffa is running the UFC as a business, not as a fan of the sport. This goes for Dana too. It's the Walmart philosophy. They may not have 1.5 milllion PPV buys, but they will have 200k times 20+ events per year. It's about saturation...qauntity over quality. This water downs the sport there is no doubt. But it makes them plenty of money. Plus there's all the TV deals, and other endorsements. So, it's not about the sport...it's about MONEY. Which truly saddens me. But hey, what can you do.

I check in from time to time, but they lost me years ago....

There is still just as many quality cards as their has been in the past. The only difference is that quality is being offered for free there isn't a point to pay for it unless it exceeds the free shows. 161 would have been a good fight night card. But it wasn't PPV. The UFC isn't watered down at all they still put on quality fights on a regular basis. The problem is the audience no longer recognizes all the talent. Because how many divisions UFC has. There are 90 top 10 fighters and thats hard for fans to follow.

People called UFC 163 weak despite having 7 top 10 fighters and it being originally scheduled with 9. But again you like many fans don't recognize the top 10 names. UFC could conceivably put 18 top 10 fighters on a card and people like you would still call it watered down because you don't recognize the names. You don't want sport, you want fighters you recognize on every card and that's not the same thing. In fact one could argue UFCs more sport like approach rather than just using big names leads to fewer buys.

The UFC has smart executives, I'm sure they have determined that they make more money doing a lot of half ass shows that do on average fewer PPV buys than a few super stacked cards that do on average more PPV buys.

Back