Remember me....Tim Sylvia

Sorry, but no.
He had size advantage and knew how to use it on a very shallow division.
Once he fought better fighters (I.e. Mir, Nog, Randy), he lost.

I never thought Timmeh as being a great (or even good) fighter.

<mma1>

arguably still a top 10 all time HW (which says more about the HW division than it says about Tim.

Roofing GOAT

3lwO5dJ.png

Love the fine print: “Two Time Undefeated Heavy Weight Champion” ????

Still the UFC HW GOAT. Maybe Stipe will pass him soon, arguably he is close...but Sylvia held that title for a long time.

Got his autograph when he was champ. He went far for his talent level.

As somebody said a long time ago, the last 10 seconds of a round is the cool down period.

Mighty Mouse has a couple of finishes in the dying seconds, you don't stop until the ref calls it.

He may not be a real athlete but he most certainly had real skills. Struve would be a force with timmys skill set

Yeah Sylvia's biggest strengths were his jab and knowing how to use his length.

Prime Monson coming in on a crazy streak I think it was 10+ fight's managed to get Tim down but couldn't get anything going because of his length.

Not sure why it's cool here to hate the old guard. Especially by people who are new to MMA.

True, but he got a ton of hate even when he was the champ. A mod actually make a sticky telling posters to knock it off.

He was a very good heavyweight in a division that was pretty weak during the time he competed.

Sorry, but no.
He had size advantage and knew how to use it on a very shallow division.
Once he fought better fighters (I.e. Mir, Nog, Randy), he lost.

I never thought Timmeh as being a great (or even good) fighter.

Sylvia was a great fighter, great jab, knew how to use his length and KO power

He came into the Randy fight with a back injury and got knocked silly in the opening seconds, he did well to make it to the decision.

Against Nog he beat him silly, Nog was do damn tough he took an epic beating for 2.5 rounds until he managed to get Tim down.

sylvia-punches-nog1.jpg

ufc81_9_nogueira_vs_sylvia_008_crop_exact.jpg

I remember in the post fight you couldn't even see Nog's eyes because his face was so swollen.

He was 24-4 going into the Fedor fight but was never the same after, never really got back into shape and lacked the passion he had before by the time he got to the Mercer fight a year later he was a 300lb mess.

2008 Vs Nog - 261lbs
D7C34EE1-1422-0E8C-9ACBBF85CF72ABBB.jpg

2009 Vs Mercer - 310.6lbs
tim-sylvia-fat.jpg

Then By 2015 he was 371lbs.
method_get_s_tim-sylvia-01-03-2015-13-9-27-570.0.0.jpg

C+ fighter with a really long reach

Hw talent was in Pride

True, but he got a ton of hate even when he was the champ. A mod actually make a sticky telling posters to knock it off.
Everybody hated him like they did Phil Baroni but I'm sure if he posted on here like Baroni did they would've put their hate aside atleast long enough to go suck him off. Tim got alot of hate more then anyother fighter fighting during that time and that stupid twat that start up that fake Tim Sylvia myspace page that trolled Jerome Le Banner over did it. During that time I stayed away from sherdog had K1-Fans and Subfighter and most the mods turned a blind eye to ppl bashing him. Then to make it worse you get Dana White talking shit after the Fedor fight for someone who was bullied like Sylvia was growing up all that hate couldn't have been good for him.

He came into the Randy fight with a back injury and got knocked silly in the opening seconds, he did well to make it to the decision.

Against Nog he beat him silly, Nog was do damn tough he took an epic beating for 2.5 rounds until he managed to get Tim down.

sylvia-punches-nog1.jpg

I remember in the post fight you couldn't even see Nog's eyes because his face was so swollen.

He was 24-4 going into the Fedor fight but was never the same after, never really got back into shape and lacked the passion he had before by the time he got to the Mercer fight a year later he was a 300lb mess.

2008 Vs Nog - 261lbs

tim-sylvia-fat.jpg

Great post. Also in many other sports big athletes when they stop working hard they go down hill very fast, especially to injury once they try and get back into the groove of things, a lot of people under estimate this about Tim as well and really shit on him for it for his post 2009 career.

Having said all that , i think Tim still was a step below the best heavies of all time imo because they were just more talented but I think with his skills a few more guys could be on that list of all time greats such as Travis Browne and maybe even struve. Travis Brownes lack of development as a top heavyweight is super disappointing.

sylvia-punches-nog1.jpg

2008 Vs Nog - 261lbs

tim-sylvia-fat.jpg

Well, Re: Nog fight
To Nog's defense, that was the way Nog always fought.
Get the win from the jaws of defeat.
(I am pulling from memory here, so i apologize if I am wrong).
As you said (And I noted it before as well), Tim was big and knew how to use his size advantage. That was his biggest weapon.

but as you saw from Nog (pulled guard, reversed and got the win), he was bad/mediocre if he didn't have the distance.

Believe me, I tried to like him. But he never struck me as a good fighter. He was only good on his feet and that was mainly due to his huge size advantage.

His record is deceiving. The only "good fighters" he fought and beat were AA and Rico... most others he lost to... and while I understand his injury, come on now... the size alone... losing to Randy was... shameful IMO.

Back