Ray Mercer vs Randy Couture Would Had Made More Sense.

King Cobra

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
When James Toney fought Couture, the fight was made simply because Toney demanded to fight in the UFC and to fight one of their best. Kimbo Slice was originally offered for him to fight but Toney turned it down.

Yet I always felt that Mercer would had been a much better opponent as a boxer for Couture to fight.

Although Mercer was retired unlike Toney and both were over the hill, Mercer still had actual MMA experienced. He fought and quickly knocked out a top ten fighter at the time whom Couture went the distance with to win the UFC HW title.

But both Mercer and Couture also shared very similar traits which would had made the story behind the fight much more respectable. Both were in the army, both were associated with the Olympics (Mercer won Gold in boxing) both started late in their respected sports because of the military, and both defeated younger studs while being underdogs (Mercer will always be known for destroying the Tommy Morrison hype).

Couture would had won the match, but I feel Mercer would had presented a tougher fight than Toney did.

As a boxing fan first, randy probably subs mercer like Toney.

Mercer also got choked out by Kimbo Slice. Sylvia could have easily out grappled Mercer, but he chose to stand with him for some dumb reason. I could see if he had some bad ass kick boxing skills, but he just had a clumsy mma boxing style that he was able to get by on because of his power and reach.

Toney was also the one that stalked Dana until the UFC would give him a fight.

nah, he doesn't move well either...Tim was just a good style match up...he'd probably lose to 99% of boxers because he'd stand with them.

Randy takes mercer down easy.

Boxers that would do good are guys like Lomo who have great footwork movement...can stay away and be defence while picking their spots.

...but they wanted the MMA guy to win.

15fn9t4.gif

Ray "Merciless" Mercer undefeated in MMA.

Randy Couture vs my dick for title of Captain America.

Mercer also got choked out by Kimbo Slice. Sylvia could have easily out grappled Mercer, but he chose to stand with him for some dumb reason. I could see if he had some bad ass kick boxing skills, but he just had a clumsy mma boxing style that he was able to get by on because of his power and reach.

Toney was also the one that stalked Dana until the UFC would give him a fight.

I read somewhere that Tim and merciless Ray were originally supposed to have a boxing match but the commision said no so they had an MMA fight with a gentleman's agreement that it would still be a boxing match .

The UFC wanted someone as green as possible to make sure they had absolutely no chance.

I read somewhere that Tim and merciless Ray were originally supposed to have a boxing match but the commision said no so they had an MMA fight with a gentleman's agreement that it would still be a boxing match .
" The bout was originally meant to be a boxing match, however the athletic commission changed its mind at the last minute and declared the fight illegal. The fight still went ahead as Mercer agreed to fight Sylvia under MMA Rules with a verbal agreement between the two to stand and box. " Posted under the video

Toney convinced Dana when he said he knew the front kick, back kick and side check kick.

This was Dana's reaction.

<{danawhoah}>

The UFC wanted someone as green as possible to make sure they had absolutely no chance.

That makes no sense. Toney pursued a UFC fight. Other less "green" boxers have been allowed to flourish in the UFC. Holly Holm is the obvious example.

That makes no sense. Toney pursued a UFC fight. Other less "green" boxers have been allowed to flourish in the UFC. Holly Holm is the obvious example.

Holm was not signed or viewed as a boxer though but as a MMA fighter, Tooney was signed very much as a boxer with the view to showing the superirotiy of MMA not as a long term prospect.

Holm was not signed or viewed as a boxer though but as a MMA fighter, Tooney was signed very much as a boxer with the view to showing the superirotiy of MMA not as a long term prospect.

So, how could the UFC possibly sign a boxer that isn't "green"? If they trained enough to no longer be green, wouldn't they be viewed as an MMA fighter and no longer a boxer?

So, how could the UFC possibly sign a boxer that isn't "green"? If they trained enough to no longer be green, wouldn't they be viewed as an MMA fighter and no longer a boxer?
Not always.
Case by case basis.

Mercer would still have been viewed as a boxer because he was a massive well known name, Holm as a boxer was a total unknown to the general public although actually it was the boxing that was her "switching sport" she started off as a kickboxer and always trained at Jacksons.

Mercer would still have been viewed as a boxer because he was a massive well known name, Holm as a boxer was a total unknown to the general public although actually it was the boxing that was her "switching sport" she started off as a kickboxer and always trained at Jacksons.

Back