Ray Mercer vs Randy Couture Would Had Made More Sense.

Mercer also got choked out by Kimbo Slice. Sylvia could have easily out grappled Mercer, but he chose to stand with him for some dumb reason. I could see if he had some bad ass kick boxing skills, but he just had a clumsy mma boxing style that he was able to get by on because of his power and reach.

Toney was also the one that stalked Dana until the UFC would give him a fight.

That "fight" was bullshit. It was unsanctioned by the Jersey athletic commission while being an exhibition, Mercer stop short from landing a right cross onto Kimbo's chin sticking out as he has done in other fights were he got dropped while rushing to his opponents, and Mercer was staying reserved against the cage while blocking Kimbo's shots. Plus the organization that ran that fight was planning to have Kimbo vs Tank bbott but sponsors pulled out and the organization folded. Everything about that fight made it seemed no different than Mark Coleman vs Takada.

Even then Mercer still won in his first and only official pro MMA fight by knocking out a top ten MMA fighter and on top of that he developed MMA experience. Plus he went for a takedown on Sylvia while Sylvia was already knocked out standing before falling. Mercer had more grappling experience than Toney did.

" The bout was originally meant to be a boxing match, however the athletic commission changed its mind at the last minute and declared the fight illegal. The fight still went ahead as Mercer agreed to fight Sylvia under MMA Rules with a verbal agreement between the two to stand and box. " Posted under the video

There was no verbal agreement to box. Sylvia threw a leg kick and Mercer went for a double leg after knocking Sylvia out.

That "fight" was bullshit. It was unsanctioned by the Jersey athletic commission while being an exhibition, Mercer stop short from landing a right cross onto Kimbo's chin sticking out as he has done in other fights were he got dropped while rushing to his opponents, and Mercer was staying reserved against the cage while blocking Kimbo's shots. Plus the organization that ran that fight was planning to have Kimbo vs Tank bbott but sponsors pulled out and the organization folded. Everything about that fight made it seemed no different than Mark Coleman vs Takada.

Even then Mercer still won in his first and only official pro MMA fight by knocking out a top ten MMA fighter and on top of that he developed MMA experience. Plus he went for a takedown on Sylvia while Sylvia was already knocked out standing before falling. Mercer had more grappling experience than Toney did.

<YeahOKJen>

As a boxing fan first, randy probably subs mercer like Toney.
Maybe not as quickly though, I think Mercer would have learned from losing to Kimbo. He's not going to make up the knowledge deficit in grappling in a short time, he'd still lose, but he'd understand that doing everything he could to stop a takedown was important. He also would have trained, unlike Toney.

Mercer also got choked out by Kimbo Slice. Sylvia could have easily out grappled Mercer, but he chose to stand with him for some dumb reason. I could see if he had some bad ass kick boxing skills, but he just had a clumsy mma boxing style that he was able to get by on because of his power and reach.

Even thought it was against a complete mma novice, Kimbo looked great in his debut. Shown elbows, body shots, dirty boxing, wrestling, submission ability...he was all over Mercer. Shame he got involved in the sport so late.

I think it was originally intended to be a kickboxing fight, but switched very late to MMA for some reason. I've a feeling they might either have had a gentleman's agreement to keep it standing or else Sylvia wanted to prove something, lol. He was something like 100 lbs overweight at that point too, so just a punching bag for a former world boxing champion, even if a retired one.

Even thought it was against a complete mma novice, Kimbo looked great in his debut. Shown elbows, body shots, dirty boxing, wrestling, submission ability...he was all over Mercer. Shame he got involved in the sport so late.
Agreed. Imagine if he had started in his 20s. For a guy who came from his background,he seemed to have a good attitude and didnt let it get to his head. Seemed grateful for the oppurtunity.

Sylvia was fat and undertrained but more than anything it shows you style make fights doesn't it? I think the UFC was probably happy Tooney had even less cross training than Mercer but even moreso they made sure it was vs someone like Randy not someone like Sylvia who might try and strike with him.

I didn’t know about that fight. Cool.

...but they wanted the MMA guy to win.

15fn9t4.gif

Ray "Merciless" Mercer undefeated in MMA.

Tim wasn't going to take a shot.

Randy would have.

Toney convinced Dana when he said he knew the front kick, back kick and side check kick.

This was Dana's reaction.

<{danawhoah}>
That gif of Warrior and Mr. Perfect is fuckin wicked lol

Before they folded, they DID have Kimbo vs Tank Abbott.

Sylvia HAD to stand with him and box. That was the agreement. It was not a real MMA fight and was a make shift boxing match, thus supporting all these ridiculous notions that ' Mercer beat an MMA champ in his own sport. Boxing rules'.

I think it was originally intended to be a kickboxing fight, but switched very late to MMA for some reason. I've a feeling they might either have had a gentleman's agreement to keep it standing or else Sylvia wanted to prove something, lol. He was something like 100 lbs overweight at that point too, so just a punching bag for a former world boxing champion, even if a retired one.
It was supposed to be a boxing match. The state wouldn't sanction it as such, for obvious reasons - In comparison to Mercer, when it came to boxing Tim didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

When James Toney fought Couture, the fight was made simply because Toney demanded to fight in the UFC and to fight one of their best. Kimbo Slice was originally offered for him to fight but Toney turned it down.

Yet I always felt that Mercer would had been a much better opponent as a boxer for Couture to fight.

Although Mercer was retired unlike Toney and both were over the hill, Mercer still had actual MMA experienced. He fought and quickly knocked out a top ten fighter at the time whom Couture went the distance with to win the UFC HW title.

But both Mercer and Couture also shared very similar traits which would had made the story behind the fight much more respectable. Both were in the army, both were associated with the Olympics (Mercer won Gold in boxing) both started late in their respected sports because of the military, and both defeated younger studs while being underdogs (Mercer will always be known for destroying the Tommy Morrison hype).

Couture would had won the match, but I feel Mercer would had presented a tougher fight than Toney did.
watch mercer fight remy, its hilarious. watched it live I was actually pumped for the fight. Always been a huge fan of the flying gentleman

Jiu Jitsu > Boxing

When James Toney fought Couture, the fight was made simply because Toney demanded to fight in the UFC and to fight one of their best. Kimbo Slice was originally offered for him to fight but Toney turned it down.

Yet I always felt that Mercer would had been a much better opponent as a boxer for Couture to fight.

Although Mercer was retired unlike Toney and both were over the hill, Mercer still had actual MMA experienced. He fought and quickly knocked out a top ten fighter at the time whom Couture went the distance with to win the UFC HW title.

But both Mercer and Couture also shared very similar traits which would had made the story behind the fight much more respectable. Both were in the army, both were associated with the Olympics (Mercer won Gold in boxing) both started late in their respected sports because of the military, and both defeated younger studs while being underdogs (Mercer will always be known for destroying the Tommy Morrison hype).

Couture would had won the match, but I feel Mercer would had presented a tougher fight than Toney did.

saying "UFC should have booked Mercer instead" completely misinterprets how the events took place.

Toney announced he wanted to fight MMA. he asked multiple orgs if they would take him on. several said yes. UFC outbid the other orgs. then they booked a fight for him.

pretending like a) Dana wanted a grappler v boxer bout so b) he went out and got Toney is just simply, flat out, bald-faced wrong. that's not what happened. they wanted Toney. not "a boxer", but "James Nathaniel Toney". they outbid everyone to get him. possibly because they didn't want anyone else to get him, maybe some other reason that made sense to Dana at the time.

i doubt you care. i imagine you're more interested in having fun with an idea than actually analyzing history. which is fine. just be aware that you're doing historical fiction, not history.

The guy who got subbed by kimbo slice?

{<jordan}

No thanks.

I'd rather watch him tap to strikes in k1 again. It much funnier when boxers get exposed by pure strikers as opposed to elite grapplers like kimbo.

Back