Ray Donovan

The show isn't going to be a hit.It will be one of those meh shows that you'll watch when the really good ones have ended.
I agree that the show is flawed. However, it's definitely a hit. The premiere had record breaking ratings, and then the second episode had even higher ratings. It's already been renewed for a second season, and the ratings have been solid throughout the first four episodes.

That said, the Boston accents are pretty bad, especially Paula Malcolmson's as Ray's wife. The only decent accent is Jon Voight's as Ray's dad. I think Liev Schreiber, while a decent actor in his own right, was miscast. Jon Voight is basically carrying the show performance wise. Ray's brother who's punch drunk has some really weird accent that doesn't make much sense.

The show is watchable, but the execution could have and should have been better. It's not as high quality as Ann Biderman's other show Southland. Southland has an authenticity that Ray Donovan is sorely missing. It's hard to buy Liev as an Irish-American thug from South Boston and PM as his wife from the neighborhood, not with that fake ass accent. He doesn't look or sound the part, and while PM at least looks Irish, she can't quite pull off the accent.

I agree that the show is flawed. However, it's definitely a hit. The premiere had record breaking ratings, and then the second episode had even higher ratings. It's already been renewed for a second season, and the ratings have been solid throughout the first four episodes.

That said, the Boston accents are pretty bad, especially Paula Malcolmson's as Ray's wife. The only decent accent is Jon Voight's as Ray's dad. I think Liev Schreiber, while a decent actor in his own right, was miscast. Jon Voight is basically carrying the show performance wise. Ray's brother who's punch drunk has some really weird accent that doesn't make much sense.

The show is watchable, but the execution could have and should have been better. It's not as high quality as Ann Biderman's other show Southland. Southland has an authenticity that Ray Donovan is sorely missing. It's hard to buy Liev as an Irish-American thug from South Boston and PM as his wife from the neighborhood, not with that fake ass accent. He doesn't look or sound the part, and while PM at least looks Irish, she can't quite pull off the accent.
Her accent in the Irish season of Sons of Anarchy even sounded crap, and she's actually Irish irl.

Her accent in the Irish season of Sons of Anarchy even sounded crap, and she's actually Irish irl.
Her accent sounds accent-less American in real life (just a slight hint of Irish occasionally), so that makes sense, I guess. I don't know why they couldn't just hire actors from Boston or who at least have mastered the accent.

[YT]aSGY4LVcUck[/YT]

Also, the older brother, former brother w/ the Parkinson's is an English actor. Weird accents in the show.

Haven't seen that show or any of the others you've compared it to.

My TV gathers dust.

Its because she is a nordy trying to do a southern accent. Its very hard for them, that squeeky nothern Ireland lilt is hard to lose.

I think its pretty lame. The characters aren't believable, its overhyped and the story is already pretty flat.

Hope to be pleasantly surprised though.

I think its really good. Way better than whats currently on television. Even HBO and Showtime standards.

The last episode seemed like nothing happened. Ray goes to a school meeting, his wife gets mad at him because he has to think about work. His dad goes and looks at a car and then ends up dancing at a gay bar.

The pacing on this show is horrible. They set up all this shit in the first episode, but now nothing is happening.

The last episode seemed like nothing happened. Ray goes to a school meeting, his wife gets mad at him because he has to think about work. His dad goes and looks at a car and then ends up dancing at a gay bar.

The pacing on this show is horrible. They set up all this shit in the first episode, but now nothing is happening.

Out of nowhere it ends with the dad dancing his heart out at the gay bar.

Watched the 1st three episodes and i'm pretty sure i'm not going to watch more. Disapointing because i like the cast.

I felt like the last episode was exciting because you weren't sure whether or not the dad was going to get arrested or not. The ending with the FBI agent saying he wanted Ray and Ari was unexpected and pretty awesome. I actually don't see the dad as a bad guy.

I like the cast and the concept of the show is cool, but the pacing is fucking killing me.

The commercials leading up to the first episode made it seem like Ray was going to be "thug for hire" that gets shit done. And while that's what he is, he's barely touched 2 jobs so far and another he basically skimmed over and fucked the girl.

I realize character building is important in the first season, but I watch because I want to see Ray do work, not stress out about daddy problems that aren't even going anywhere at the momment.

I'm giving the show one last chance tonight. I've been pretty annoyed with the last two episodes though.

It's getting better each week. Starting to look forward to it after last week's epi.

Congratulations to him and team USA for winning the Gold Cup.

It's getting better each week. Starting to look forward to it after last week's epi.
Agreed, it's defineately warming up and surely the cast alone makes it worth sticking around for. Jon Voight is doing a bang up job as the outdated, slimey, cringey ex-Con Dad.

I like the Deadwood hooker but yeah, her Bawstun accent is a bit off putting.

Good show, has plenty of promise IMO.

Unfy5wM.gif

This is my favorite moment of the show thus far.

Back