Rant: Sick of NPR's race and gender obsession

Der Eisbär

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been an avid listener of NPR since my senior year of highschool, so almost 8 years now.

I used to wake up to it in the morning, and fall asleep listening to it at night (actually it's the BBC that comes on at night).

I like mixing up my news sources and take in a basket of left and right sources.

But for the past 1-2 years, holy FUCK. EVERY TIME I turn on NPR it's some fucking story about race or gender with varying degrees of pointlessness. Sometimes the stories are legit, and sometimes they're totally off the wall ridiculous. Regardless: I AM SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT RACE AND GENDER NON STOP.

I get it that that's what MSNBC and CNN are doing, along with Buzzfeed, Gawker, and every other far left media outlet. But even though NPR has always been left of center, they were always one of my main 'centrist' sources. I liked the stories about the rising craft whiskey scene, or some new dance movement in a far away country, or whatever it was. But it's fucking NON STOP with the race/gender stories. I can't listen to this shit anymore. So now I'm forced to either listen to race/gender obsession or some local/national conservative wing nut with a potato IQ that doesn't understand basic science, if I want to listen to talk radio.

WTF MAN.

Growing up, race and gender were not things I focused on or was concerned about. Even growing up in Idaho, I was taught that all people are equal. I didn't give that a second thought and I still don't. Now the fucking leftists and SJW's have got more people playing identity politics and obsessing over race and gender than EVER before. Now even I focus on race and gender more than ever before when I used to fundamentally not care about those issues at all on personal/day to day life level.

Yeah, NPR loves leftwing identity politics.
it didn't used to be that way man. But now they're a more 'tame' Buzzfeed. A buzzfeed-lite if you will.

They're publicly funded for christs sake. Aren't there more interesting issues in the world to talk about? What about the environmental disasters going on across the world? What about the plights of oppressed muslim women? What about child slavery in africa? What about the elephants disappearing?

NOPE!! today's lineup: gender, race, gender, race, race, race, gender.

it's always been that way. It's just insane leftwing hag with calm voices.

it's always been that way. It's just insane leftwing hag with calm voices.

No it hasn't. They've only been doing this a couple years. NPR was always about featuring stories outside the scope of normal mainstream news. They would cover interesting happenings and culture all around the world. Dining, music, arts, poetry, etc etc.

Because of changing demographics everything will be about identity politics going forward so get used to it.

Because of changing demographics everything will be about identity politics going forward so get used to it.

That's a pretty dark picture you're trying to paint and I don't agree with you. Media goes where the money is and most people are not either 100% left or 100% right. We're all a mix of ideas and no one wants this extremism on either side. That's why MSNBC, CNN, and NPR have such bad ratings.

No it hasn't. They've only been doing this a couple years. NPR was always about featuring stories outside the scope of normal mainstream news. They would cover interesting happenings and culture all around the world. Dining, music, arts, poetry, etc etc.
few years feels like forever :D

I try to listen to them just for news in general, but they can get pretty unbearable, so bad, that I have to turn on pop music

I AM SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT RACE

This is how I feel when I finally leave the WR. Some people are way to obsessed with only talking about this and only think through this lense

That's a pretty dark picture you're trying to paint and I don't agree with you. Media goes where the money is and most people are not either 100% left or 100% right. We're all a mix of ideas and no one wants this extremism on either side. That's why MSNBC, CNN, and NPR have such bad ratings.

The left financed groups like BLM to mobilize blacks to vote for Hillary then Bannon & Trump responded with white identity politics.

This is where we are now and that's undeniable, i'm not trying to paint a dark picture because it is what it is.

I've been an avid listener of NPR since my senior year of highschool, so almost 8 years now.

I used to wake up to it in the morning, and fall asleep listening to it at night (actually it's the BBC that comes on at night).

I like mixing up my news sources and take in a basket of left and right sources.

But for the past 1-2 years, holy FUCK. EVERY TIME I turn on NPR it's some fucking story about race or gender with varying degrees of pointlessness. Sometimes the stories are legit, and sometimes they're totally off the wall ridiculous. Regardless: I AM SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT RACE AND GENDER NON STOP.

I get it that that's what MSNBC and CNN are doing, along with Buzzfeed, Gawker, and every other far left media outlet. But even though NPR has always been left of center, they were always one of my main 'centrist' sources. I liked the stories about the rising craft whiskey scene, or some new dance movement in a far away country, or whatever it was. But it's fucking NON STOP with the race/gender stories. I can't listen to this shit anymore. So now I'm forced to either listen to race/gender obsession or some local/national conservative wing nut with a potato IQ that doesn't understand basic science, if I want to listen to talk radio.

WTF MAN.

Growing up, race and gender were not things I focused on or was concerned about. Even growing up in Idaho, I was taught that all people are equal. I didn't give that a second thought and I still don't. Now the fucking leftists and SJW's have got more people playing identity politics and obsessing over race and gender than EVER before. Now even I focus on race and gender more than ever before when I used to fundamentally not care about those issues at all on personal/day to day life level.

Nowadays with smart phone, podcasts, audio books, and so forth make radio unnecessary. You can even listen to youtube audio without the video if you like.

This is how I feel when I finally leave the WR. Some people are way to obsessed with only talking about this and only think through this lense
That's primarily why I've stopped posting here. Both sides are doing it. N-o-n-s-t-o-p.

So now I'm forced to either listen to race/gender obsession or some local/national conservative wing nut with a potato IQ that doesn't understand basic science, if I want to listen to talk radio.
I feel your pain, man. I'm an NPR commuter.

I would say, that some of the race stories have taken on new relevance since Trump's election. "I'm afraid to send my kids to school because they don't know if they are going to be deported," is a fairly relevant topic.

I feel your pain, man. I'm an NPR commuter.

I would say, that some of the race stories have taken on new relevance since Trump's election. "I'm afraid to send my kids to school because they don't know if they are going to be deported," is a fairly relevant topic.

I don't think anyones kids are going to be snatched up at school and deported. Let's wait for something like that to actually happen, which likely won't, instead of drumming up hysteria about the possibility of it happening. And at this point, I really don't care how relevant it is. I don't want to hear about race and gender anymore. This is a huge world with so much going on and so many different things to talk about.

Nowadays with smart phone, podcasts, audio books, and so forth make radio unnecessary. You can even listen to youtube audio without the video if you like.

And that is the direction that I've gone. I got a subscription to Audible and I'm listening to more podcasts. But honestly I'm having a hard time finding a podcast outside of the JRE. Nothing else is nearly as interesting. Do you have any suggestions? I listen to the JRE and a little hardcore history which I'm probably gonna do more of. My main interests are: travel, finance, personal development. I just can't find anything in those realms that are even 10% as interesting and as well done as the JRE. Every podcast I find on personal development or finance are like 10 minute episodes done by some C level blogger I've never heard of.

. And at this point, I really don't care how relevant it is. I don't want to hear about race and gender anymore. This is a huge world with so much going on and so many different things to talk about.
That's your white male privilege talking, though.

22237032.jpg

I agree with you bro. They're obsessed with race and now have gender issues to add to it.

protip

stop doing something if you dont like it

Growing up, race and gender were not things I focused on or was concerned about. Even growing up in Idaho, I was taught that all people are equal

This is what kind of boggles my mind about the left's race and gender obsession. They act like the majority of white America is bigoted even though that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Last edited:
Back