Ranked Fighters that did not compete in 2023

I did some timeline breakdown of when Ortega and Tony were both #1, and they've only won 1 fight each since that time, but Tony is unranked cuz he fought twice as much.

Why fight at all if you can just sit out and never move,
And how some would justify it is to say “He’s only lost to elite guys.” But like, everybody could also lose to elite guys. Probably the most over ranked guy on the roster that has done nothing to legitimize his standing. 1 win in 6 years is crazy.

And how some would justify it is to say “He’s only lost to elite guys.” But like, everybody could also lose to elite guys. Probably the most over ranked guy on the roster that has done nothing to legitimize his standing. 1 win in 6 years is crazy.
Hell, even Tony wasn't dropping at first for the same reason. "He only lost to the champ, the last contender, and the next contender."

Yeah and in no world should a guy be consecutively booked against those 3 opponents to make a losing streak. The #50 ranked guy would have lost those 3 fights in a row too, that tells us nothing. Losses should mean dropping, and a really good top ranked fighter should end up turning that around pretty quickly.

I've always said, your record is your resume, and you gotta keep that shit updated. He's applying for the title contender position, and the interviewer should be going, "Can you explain these gaps?"

Last edited:
Hell, even Tony wasn't dropping at first for the same reason. "He only lost to the champ, the last contender, and the next contender."

Yeah and in no world should a guy be consecutively booked against those 3 opponents to make a losing streak. The #50 ranked guy would have lost those 3 fights in a row too, that tells us nothing. Losses should mean dropping, and a really good fighter top ranked fighter should end up turning that around pretty quickly.

I've always said, your record is your resume, and you gotta keep that shit updated. He's applying for the title contender position, and the interviewer should be going, "Can you explain these gaps?"

Yep, it’s how we end up with log jams and so many rematches. Fighters fall so slowly down the rankings and new fighters have trouble breaking through.

Lose a title fight and top 5 fight? Time to defend your ranking against a 6-15 guy. Inactive? Out of the rankings and fight an up and comer when you return, not a top guy.

Is Cruz still planning on coming back? His last title run seems done so is he willing to take legacy fights? He's always seemed like those guys who'd retire when he wasn't capable of beating the top guys.

Yep, it’s how we end up with log jams and so many rematches. Fighters fall so slowly down the rankings and new fighters have trouble breaking through.

Lose a title fight and top 5 fight? Time to defend your ranking against a 6-15 guy. Inactive? Out of the rankings and fight an up and comer when you return, not a top guy.
Agreed.

It's like a mountain. Shit's REALLY wide at the base. That's why #60 can fight #25 and no one gives a shit. When you're #3, you can count the number of people you should be fighting on one hand. That's why losing at the top means so much more now. The closer to the top you get, the less you're gaining and the more you're just defending your spot.

I tend to think the way people don't see fighting in the rankings as a kind of defending is part of why there's such a monumental shift of mentality when some people get the belt. It's almost like to them that all of a sudden, there's nothing to gain (unless they shoot for the super double champ fight like everyone does), and everything to lose, so now's the time to take a year off to get all the surgeries, recovery, and even vacation they want, as if in their last fight, they weren't fighting for just one higher spot than where they were before.

well there was also a season of tuf dont forget that
That definitely compounded it.
Good call!

Couldn’t agree more.
I’d like to see more “loser leaves town (top 10)” type of fights.

In a world where Colby is regularly active, fighting Wonderboy with the loser being matched up against a solid up and coming contender trying to make a rankings splash or a Tony/Nate-esque <I know, missed weight> nostalgia fight if they’re both OGs.

This does not happen enough. I believe it's the sports number 1 issue.

The laziness in adjusting rankings is a big reason why we get so many pointless rematches. Colby for example could take another 2 years off and still come back as a top 5 ww.
And if you think about it, it would all be because he fought maia and RDA 6 years ago. those wins should be completely irrelevent by now but they are the only thing holding his rank where it is.

I know kattar and moicano had serious knee injuries. Esparza had a baby, but I have no idea what's going on with the others.

Do you think Kattar can stop Aljos TDs sir?
Or do you think Aljo can take his back and slap on the body triangle and ride it out?

Wonder what’s going on with Cruz. Likely angling for one last fight before he retires but needlessly holding a top 10 ranking in the deepest division is insulting to guys like Kyler Phillips, Said, Davey Grant, etc.

If you don't fight for a year you should be removed from the rankings.

That's why UFC rankings are trash.. because the UFC makes them!

In order for the rankings to have any merit they would need to be made by a third party.

UFC money can't be that bad then.

How many of us could go "without a year of working"?

I make $110 an hour, but no way can I just "not work for a year."

Back