Ranked Fighters that did not compete in 2023

I kind of get Chandler.
Realistically fighting Conor once is a career (earnings) defining move.

Didn't Esparza have a baby?
If so, she should definitely get a "rankings exemption."
Why?

Out of all those fighters, I'm guessing Stipe Miocic is the longest inactive fighter in that list.

"Many Chiasson's haven't fought this year."

I did some timeline breakdown of when Ortega and Tony were both #1, and they've only won 1 fight each since that time, but Tony is unranked cuz he fought twice as much.

Why fight at all if you can just sit out and never move,

Because you get paid for fighting, not for having a rank.

Because you get paid for fighting, not for having a rank.
Clearly not bothering some people.
And if you're getting the big fights or taking the chance to become champ like Ortega or anyone else who remains top ranked can do multiple times apparently, then that's an easy choice of delayed gratification

Last edited:
Stipe being ranked is a joke, him getting a title shot is the worst title shot I have seen in forever

I kind of get Chandler.
Realistically fighting Conor once is a career (earnings) defining move.

Didn't Esparza have a baby?
If so, she should definitely get a "rankings exemption."

I’m a Cookie Monster fan and disagree.

Let her have all the time she wants. Remove her from the rankings, then give her a top 5 on her return (If she wants it).

If she wins or puts up a good fight, she will have rank again…

Why wouldn’t she get a top opponent when she comes back?

Why she should definitely get a "rankings exemption" for having a kid? Does having a kid increase her fighting ability offsetting the fact that she left the sport voluntarily for probably a couple of years?

UFC rankings were never merit based.

Just wait till Conor is ready to fight again he will magically move up again pre fight

every situation is different. you have to look at the details. it does matter if a fighter only loses to the best, but it also matters if they never beat the best. and of course it matters how their fights went—if they get beaten pillar to post but pull off the hail mary finish, that should factor against them negatively. and if they’ve been out for a long time in their prime, there better be an extenuating circumstance, e.g., an injury, fights got cancelled.

I’m a Cookie Monster fan and disagree.

Let her have all the time she wants. Remove her from the rankings, then give her a top 5 on her return (If she wants it).

If she wins or puts up a good fight, she will have rank again…

Why wouldn’t she get a top opponent when she comes back?
While I don’t disagree with you in theory, removing her from the rankings would be the argument not to give her such a highly ranked opponent.
Why she should definitely get a "rankings exemption" for having a kid? Does having a kid increase her fighting ability offsetting the fact that she left the sport voluntarily for probably a couple of years?
Seems like a reasonable argument to me.

Cruz is still ranked? Wow. Also, conman went like 7 years with no wins at 155 before finally dropping out of the rankings. Pure joke.

While I’m not advocating for his high ranking, there’s a lot to be said for keeping these old legends in the top 5-10 for one last Cinderella story type shot at the belted .

Imagine (and I roll my eyes every someone writes that regarding an MMA scenario) Hendo landing one more big shuffle shuffle H-Bomb in the 3rd-5th rounds and taking a legit split decision off of Bisping.

Hell of a marquis moment.

Back